Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2007 5:14:00 AM EDT
I responded to a nitwit college student who felt that only Government Officials, hunters in remote areas and criminals had any reason to carry a gun.

Limited to 400 words, so here is my response.

To Andrea Eidenier:

It is good that you are a student as it is obvious you still have a lot to learn.  The difference between a child and an adult is that a child is not responsible for itself and is dependent on parents or other authority figures for protection, sustenance and direction.

I am an adult.  As an adult, I have taken personal responsibility for what happens in my life.  The tragedy at VT clearly shows what happens when you don't, or as also happened in this case, are prevented from exercising responsibility for your own personal protection.  32 innocent people died and over two dozen were wounded because they were incapable of defending themselves.

You say that no one other than a government official (Police officer?) hunter or criminal has a reason to carry a gun.  As much as I admire and support Law Enforcement, they are not super human.  Ask any officer and he/she will tell you that it is a rare day that they can prevent a crime.  At best, they can respond after the fact and help, investigate and hopefully apprehend the perpetrator.  Even with 2 hours of warning that there was an armed killer on campus, they were unable to prevent the killings at Norris Hall.

I have a concealed carry permit and I carry a handgun.  I have taken numerous training courses and continue to train and practice as proficiency with a firearm is a perishable skill.  I don't carry because I expect trouble or seek a fight.  On the contrary, I avoid locations or activities where I think I might need to use a firearm.  But I am an adult, and I am responsible for my own personal safety and that of my children.  So just as I wear my seatbelt and make sure my children wear theirs, and I pay for insurance, just in case.  I also carry a gun.  Just in case.

I hope that you will never face a rapist or another Cho Seung-Hui.  Because if you do, and the miracle of an armed savior does not occur, then you will unfortunately get a small mention in the local paper.  Because you weren't adult enough to take responsibility for your own safety, but instead left it to those who were not up to the task.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Well said.  I've written a few pro-firearm letters to the RJ and had some published so I guess their editorial staff still have the ability to read and analyze material on its merits.  I hope they publish your piece.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Great Letter! Well done -
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I added it to the comments.  I assume there was a delay so it could be reviewed, but since it isn't there yet, I guess it was too pro gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If all the liberals think like this, and they do manage to make handguns illegal, then apparently all we have to do is turn to a life of crime and it will be okay to carry a handgun again.

What if I just think I'm a criminal, but I have yet to commit any crimes? Will that meet her qualifications for carrying a handgun?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Great letter! I hope the RJ will print your rebuttal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job Mark, she thinks the police will always be able to save her.  And maybe she should read about the Wisconsin hunter last year.  The Laos man that killed 5 or 6 people in the woods.
Terry
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Another "I'm so much smarter than all of you" leftie college student.

Excellent letter!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Dorsai,   I feel that you have explained the core reason for the second amendment, and the differences between those who depend upon society to solve their problems and those who take responsibility for their own welfare.  

Well done, and I too hope to see your letter published.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent, Dorsai
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
DORSAI FOR PRESIDENT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top