Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 4:14:20 PM EDT
Following website contains some very good information concerning Emergency/Survival communications.  Just an FYI thread.

John

cynthion.com/survival_communications_primer.pdf

NOTE:  Element one (1)(Morse code) of the Amateur Radio License is no longer required  as of 2/23/07
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't recall seeing this asked before so I'll expand this topic...

How many of us are ham operators?  What equipment/bands are you using?

I've had my Technician Class rating since Nov05.  So far I'm just running VHF mobile and HTs.  I've got an old hybrid Kenwood HF radio that I've been using to listen and keep me moving towards upgrading to a General Class license.

Now that the FCC has dropped the Morse Code requirements(from the OP so not a total hijack) for licensing there really isn't any reason to NOT get your General for the HF privileges.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
At this moment here in the south, I believe there are 2, maybe 3 at this time, myself and 1337-G and possibly one other.  There are 4-5 that are going for their Tech licenses; at least studying the various exam sites.

I myself have just vhf/uhf capability, as sold all my hf gear, due to cant use it in this location, and as for the other, I am not sure just what they have on the air at this time.

If you look in the ARFcomer GENERAL section, under Survival, you'll will see quite abit of text regarding Ham Radio and also HF Nets on 75 and 40 meters.  Think most of those are in the midwest though.

Possible use is for SHTF communications between ARFcomer's of said mind sets.

John (K6YDW)

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff Dave.  Got it printed out, and sent you a pm on another subject.

Quoted:
Following website contains some very good information concerning Emergency/Survival communications.  Just an FYI thread.

John

cynthion.com/survival_communications_primer.pdf

NOTE:  Element one (1)(Morse code) of the Amateur Radio License is no longer required  as of 2/23/07
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done the Echo Link net with the Survival Forum folks a few times.  But they run it before I usually have a chance to get home and get online with them.  They're a good bunch, I look forward to trying the HF nets when I upgrade.

When we planning our move from Gardnerville to our new house where there is no cellular service I figured it was time to get the license.  I've had a blast with it!  I've gotten involved with communications for the Death Ride and the Pony Express Re-Ride and a few other local events.

Bill(KE7xxx)
Northern Nevada
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Just took and passed my Technician test Friday evening.  Wasn't hard at all.  Picked up the ARRL Technician study guide book on Wednesday and took the test Friday.

I'll probably pickup a 2 meter handheld to start unless I find a good used multiband cheap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations!

I looked for the cheap multiband radios too and didn't have any luck.  I ended up getting a pair of Yaesu FT-1500 VHF mobiles from Ebay for cheap and basically NIB condition.  I also scored some really nice old HTX-202 from Ebay as well.  The HTX-202 don't have all the bells and whistles of say the Yaesu VX-170, but they're bullet proof and the pair cost as much as a single VX-170
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for posting this. I've started to get interested in HAM, great timing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#8]
For the folks in the south, check out the Las Vegas Radio Club's website www.lvrac.org for training or testing information.  I do not know the links in the north, sorry.  Sample questions/answers are also available at www.qrz.com, www.w8mhb.com and other sites; just Google.

JOhn
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I was first licensed as a novice in 1979 and have held an extra class ticket since about 10 years ago (?).

I totally lost interest in the whole thing when they started giving out all the answers to the test and eliminating the morse code test.
If you don't understand, just think about something you worked really hard for and imagine if someone came along and gave it to anyone that wanted it for nothing.

Originally KA8FFL, now AB7KT

I just looked myself up on QRZ.com and see that I never changed my address from Pahrump to Las Vegas.
Oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top