Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 3:30:21 PM EDT
I was looking for family things to do in the Reno Area. I wanted to go to the Off Road Hall of fame. Is it worth going? I have heard about mine tours in Virginia City. Are they fun? I have been to the Railroad museum in Carson. Has it changed in the last couple years?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost everything about Virginia City is fun. The train museum is good, still the same. the State museum is refurbishing a lot of the good exhibits, so I don't reccomend it right now. Harrah's Auto museum in Reno is good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#2]
How about the Mint in carson City....I know they used to do tours...pretty cool place with alot of rare coins that were minted in Carson City. Bowers mansion in Washoe valley between CC and Reno. pyramid lake is a nice drive. Definately Virginia City, Ive got a lot of photos on my ghosttown website.... ghosttownsandminesofnevada.com/
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How about the Mint in carson City....I know they used to do tours...pretty cool place with alot of rare coins that were minted in Carson City.

That is what I meant by the State Museum. Normally it is an awesome experience, but they are doing a lot of renovation right now, so many of the popular exhibits are not in right now. The USS Nevada silver service is out (will be returned along with the US flag that flew on her deck December 7, 1941!), the animal exhibits are out, the wax injuns (NDNs or native americans, if it pleases you) are out. The armory is still there and magnificent as ever, but the wife and kids will bore easily and you'll just drool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard there is a zoo in Reno. Would it be a good place to go?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Devote an entire day to Virginia City.

The place is like a ghost town, but with a pulse. Its fantastic.

Do the mine tour, and leave lots of time to explore all the little shops. They've got lots of trinkets that the kids will want (and will drive you broke  ).

Plan on having lunch there at one of the saloon/restaurants, and then driving back to Reno for the evening/dinner.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Theres a small zoo in north Reno, cant remember the name of it. Well it looks like the capitol visit would be a waste of time right now with half the exnibits gone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Sierra Safari is the name of the zoo. Kinda small, especially if you've been to places like Sacramento or SanDiego. If you pass through Carson City, the Railroad museum is always good, and the Capitol Complex is nice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A family dinner at one of the family style Basque eateries?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure what's showing, but the planetarium has good shows sometimes (they list them on Excite Movies).  Nice space museum there - not giant, but fun.  Nevada historical Society Museum is almost next to it too.
Hmmm...  shootin in the hills outside Reno...
VC is real fun as mentioned earlier - spend the day. And you can go shootin in American Flats, or Six Mile Canyon, or up Jumbo Grade...
Or go to the snow up Mt. Rose Hwy.  Some good sledding at Galena County Park - free, fun - just don't get injured!
Have fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top