Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 6:08:23 PM EDT
Well I got my 458 SOCOM ammo in today, but the upper is still "in the mail".  Can't wait to shoot it!

Got email from Steve at Castle Arm's and he says its on its way.   UPS says its in Illinios and should be here Wednesday!    Hurray!!!!!  

3-31-06    Hurray!!!!   Picked up upper @ UPS today - delayed due to son's B-day party, etc.... (was very nice btw - had it at Carson Valley Swim Center and Pizza Factory in minden - Highly recomend those places!!)

Here she is...

After I checked it out thoroughly, lubed it, assembled it... off we went to go test it behind the house...

One thing I noticed that I'd never noticed before was the THICKNESS of the upper receiver.  Arrows show how much thicker than standard this receiver is...

After initial rough sighting in on a torque converter... how cool to see a .45 caliber hole through a GM torque converter... I put some on paper.  Here's the results.  At 50 yards: 7 shot group of 1.63", and a 3 shot group of 1.52".  

Was very nice to shoot.  Had One FTF from colt 20 rd mag, 3 fail to eject from 3 different mags...  I did notice that the cases weren't being ejected very far; shooting from the hood of the jeep they would usually hit the hood then roll off onto the bumper.

Recoil is sooo diferent from .223, going to have to practice a lot more for rapid recovery.

Also need to get new optics for it.  Put this Leupold 4x on it cuz it was spare.  Had to put it on medium height bases to clear receiver, but it needs to be on high bases - had to shove my face into the stock really tight just to get aligned through it.  Made shooting a bit awkward.

Overall im very pleased - Thanks Steve at Castle Arms, and Marty at TJ.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just what we need... Another "Assault weapon" on the streets!
JK. Sweet!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one.
Spent a fortune on it.
Managed to get most of it back when I sold it.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Good article on the 458. round in new GUNsand Ammo -I think. - Ill check mag name when i get home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good article on the 458. round in new GUNsand Ammo -I think. - Ill check mag name when i get home.[/quote]

Sry was wrong about the mag title...."Shooting Times"Magazine/May06 Pg.42, nice article on the .458 SOCOM                 ....talk about knock down power, 600-Gr JSPhock.gif
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:14:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Ya, thanks... I picked it up friday while waiting for prescriptions.  Had a real pretty pic of FIRE coming out the muzzle......   fire hehe hmmm fire...  
I can hardly stand being at work today - its sposed to be delivered today - arrrrgg!  Uhh ummm boss?  I'm not feeling that well can I go home sick? sniff, sniff  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking at the brass it appears that these Corbon loads are pretty hot.  They show some minor pressure signs - at least to my eye.

Now I must fork out some dough to buy my own dies.  If I was a good Bot Scout I would have already taken care of that!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea,P-P that does look pretty hot.
Also ,nice looking M16 lower you have there.he
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top