Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 5:54:27 AM EDT
So i've finally decided to move out of california and move to vegas..so i was wondering if you vegas guys could give me some pointers....

1.were to live

2.were not to live

3. Some general advice about the state and the counties gun laws

4.Just general advice for living in vegas....

thanks guys........[}:
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:37:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Where to live:
The "newer" parts of town are the southwest, Summerlin and the Green Valley/Henderson areas. The city as a whole is still a really great place. There are a couple of areas that I wouldn't move into, but every city has them.

Where not to live:
I don't want to offend any members that may live in these areas, but for a new guy he may want to check the areas out first to make sure it's his cup of tea. North Las Vegas in the Civic Center/Lake Mead (I have an office there ), Lake Mead/MLK area and pretty much the whole downtown area. Henderson's Morrel Park area is another area you might want to avoid until you visit. These areas all have apartments in the local guides and the rent is VERY reasonable. Don't be fooled by the ads until you visit the area.

Gun Laws:
I know that his been discussed here at length and someone... SOMEONE (Wolfpackb) was supposed to start a sticky on this subject.

General Advice:
Don't get caught up in the night life. Clubs don't close at 2:00am like California and you can find yourself walking out of the clubs when the sun is already out  (happened to me one or twice )

Glad to have you hear!

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
While house hunting with and without the realtor, I read these tips in a book and they worked out.

When you have a prospective home / property visit the area during different times of day / days of the week.  You could find out about surprises (parties, noise, etc.).  From the home drive around the block in increasing circles outward checking for the usual indicators of your neighbors and outlying area.  You learn alot by doing this.  Find the nearest police station or substation and ask questions in person or call.  I checked out the Henderson PD on a Saturday and an officer there at the entry actually considered a home at the same subdivision where I eventually purchased.  He was a wealth of information that I lucked into.  Even the local gun shop (Spurlock's) had some good info.  Just like the errornet, you take everything with a grain of salt and sift through the chaff, but you probably know this already.  If there are large empty lots around find out what they are zoned for.  That could change but doing your homework could pay off.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Gun Laws:
I know that his been discussed here at length and someone... SOMEONE (Wolfpackb) was supposed to start a sticky on this subject.

Ron,

Don't blame WP for not starting that thread blame me, because I am the one who was supposed to put it together. I have been very busy lately and I just haven't had the time to get the thread started. I asked for some help with it from someone else in the hopes that two people could share the duties of keeping the thread informative and up to date, but I never received a response.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to tolerate the same questions on the same subjects over, and over, and over.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#5]
When you start shopping, ask about areas of town.....

Avoid living next to an apt. complex. Look at where the section 8 apts. are located when compared to your possible residence.

You can go to www.lvmpd.com and look at the crimetracker or crime stat side. It is only 60 days worth and not all crime is reported in the categories given though.

BTW, learn that liberals suck.........tree huggers don't belong.......and Kalifornians are some of the worst drivers and a problem here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top