Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 8:39:24 PM EDT
I have been a resident of SW Las Vegas in the area of Flamingo and Durango for 3 years now and eveytime I tell a somebody what part of town I live in,  they look at me if I'm from Mars.  I didn't think it was a bad area at all.  Most of my friends live in the Northwest or North LV part of the valley.  Why do some many people insist on Living up there ?  Is the Northwest that much better that the Southwest ?  What's everyone's opinion ?  Thanks !  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
There is trash all over.....

I can't stand the NW traffic. They can have that all they want!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:33:25 AM EDT
[#3]
You should have seen people's reaction when I told them where I used to live. I'd say Cheyenne and Martin Luther King. People would look at me like I was a crackhead, mothers would pull their children closer to them, women would pull their purse strings in tighter, and people driving by would lock their car doors and roll their windows up. I couldn't get people to believe me that the area wasn't that bad and then the neighborhood did go to shit and I moved away. I guess I was proven wrong.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is trash all over.....

I can't stand the NW traffic. They can have that all they want!

+1

I live at St Rose Parkway and the Strip.  You should see the blank looks that I get.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I love the SW, lived in the area of Flamingo and Ft. Apache for 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#6]

I live at St Rose Parkway and the Strip.  You should see the blank looks that I get.

Last Call.........love that place.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Last Call is a pretty cool bar.  I just can't seem to get a good meal there.  I'm always disappointed in the food.  Would be a great place to hang out if I were young and single...but I'm:  Married...with children.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have been a resident of SW Las Vegas in the area of Flamingo and Durango for 3 years now and eveytime I tell a somebody what part of town I live in,  they look at me if I'm from Mars.  I didn't think it was a bad area at all.  Most of my friends live in the Northwest or North LV part of the valley.  Why do some many people insist on Living up there ?  Is the Northwest that much better that the Southwest ?  What's everyone's opinion ?  Thanks !  

Aside the dust in the air, the trailer park across the street, people dumping illegally in your complex, weird people crashing the gates with their cars, the Metro helicopter I hear flying really low at night with their spot light, people driving 75mph down Flamingo Road, nothing is wrong with living at Flamingo and Durango. The DMV is really close!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the Torso of the meth dealer dumped at the complex too- chopped up with no head, arms or legs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Aside the dust in the air, the trailer park across the street, people dumping illegally in your complex, weird people crashing the gates with their cars, the Metro helicopter I hear flying really low at night with their spot light, people driving 75mph down Flamingo Road, nothing is wrong with living at Flamingo and Durango. The DMV is really close!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the Torso of the meth dealer dumped at the complex too- chopped up with no head, arms or legs.

+1

are you in the condos behind (west) of smiths?, I live just east of the park.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup I do Tom.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Some friends of mine live there and they really like it except for their car has been broken into several times over the years.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah the breaking into cars has been happening alot so the association finally hired a rent a cop.  Not sure how well that is working out. We do have some crazy people renting here as some are owners like me. I unfortunately had a Arab renter move in below me and already he is trying to intimidate people by yelling at them in whatever he speaks and constantly slamming doors and banging/thumping noise coming from his unit. Im started to get pissy cause I cant sleep. Might have to call Metro soon. I did try to be nice to talk to the guy but he was screaming at me in his language and then slamming the door in my face. Course I had to return the favor American style and actually had to tell him to F himself! Which I have never ever had to tell anyone especially a neighbor to do. Thank god for CCWs cause I dont feel safe anymore in my own house! Hows your friend liking it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]
He really likes it there, their building is all owners and they watch out for each other.
Do you have a favorite watering hole? I have yet to find one where I feel real comfortable.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm not being a wiseguy here, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Flamingo and Durango considered the West side of town? I'm not talking about the "Black West Side," i.e. Owens and A Street. I used to live in Spring Valley and that was considered the West part of town.

I thought the Southwest was anything West and South of Tropicana. I guess Metro divides it differently according to the local phone book. The town has grown so much I am probably wrong, and if I am I stand corrected.

Thanks....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Considedr the 0 block line is Fremont and then US95 for north and south, while I-15 and/or LV Blvd are used for the east and west, anything south of 95 and west of I-15 would be southwest

Before the NW built up so much, your Tropicana line was probably right!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Considedr the 0 block line is Fremont and then US95 for north and south, while I-15 and/or LV Blvd are used for the east and west, anything south of 95 and west of I-15 would be southwest

Before the NW built up so much, your Tropicana line was probably right!

Thanks Bro...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You should have seen people's reaction when I told them where I used to live. I'd say Cheyenne and Martin Luther King. People would look at me like I was a crackhead, mothers would pull their children closer to them, women would pull their purse strings in tighter, and people driving by would lock their car doors and roll their windows up. I couldn't get people to believe me that the area wasn't that bad and then the neighborhood did go to shit and I moved away. I guess I was proven wrong.

I told you anything with MLK on it turns to shit.  Now I am the one that lives in the friggin barrio.  I hate Sunrise Mtn.  Too many Sinaloa cowboys here now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I told you anything with MLK on it turns to shit.  Now I am the one that lives in the friggin barrio.  I hate Sunrise Mtn.  Too many Sinaloa cowboys here now.

Yeah, It was getting sp bad on MLK Vons closed it's store only after a few years.  Where did NLV go wrong ? They have more crime than any other part of LAs Vegas.  Will the police ever take back the streets ?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, It was getting sp bad on MLK Vons closed it's store only after a few years.  Where did NLV go wrong ? They have more crime than any other part of LAs Vegas.  Will the police ever take back the streets ?  

Must be something to the effect of California-style gun laws?  Ah, gun control, the feel good cure- all of the liberal sheep.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry... that's not North Las Vegas....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be something to the effect of California-style gun laws?  Ah, gun control, the feel good cure- all of the liberal sheep.

when is the last time you heard of a non gang-banger or shit bag getting popped for Dangerous/Deadly weapon in a vehicle? That's what I like to refer to as a "shithead" law. You're only gonna get charged with it if you're a shithead
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

when is the last time you heard of a non gang-banger or shit bag getting popped for Dangerous/Deadly weapon in a vehicle? That's what I like to refer to as a "shithead" law. You're only gonna get charged with it if you're a shithead

Will most NLV leos apply that law with the common sense that you do?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
He really likes it there, their building is all owners and they watch out for each other.
Do you have a favorite watering hole? I have yet to find one where I feel real comfortable.

Tom

Man, I wish my building was that cool. It seems like everyone for themselves. 3 own and 1 is a rental and that is the person Iam having trouble with right now cause Arab man thinks he owns the place. Non stop slamming the doors and sawing and scraping shit in the middle of the night...stops at around 12 or 1am and then the banging starts at 6am again. Iam so tired its not even funny. I think I have to call Metro now - as I ve been nice for far too long. They just moved in 4 weeks ago and I already tried to talk to him but he was yelling at me in Arabic.

As for watering holes...I dont know...there is that PT's on Durango between Flamingo and Spring Mtn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top