Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 6:15:40 PM EDT
Turned out GREAT.  Big thanks to "Rickinvegas" for all the help, jigs, know-how, parts and patience.  All I have left to do is fire off a few thousand rounds.....

Pic are a little fuzzy but trust me, it looks REAL GOOD!  
(I am a little proud of myself if ya cant tell )

"G"

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, Very Nice Work!!!   Looks just like my Vector.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks...its my 1st
"G"

My wife says I am pathetic.....what the hell does she know?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
purdy
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks...its my 1st
"G"

My wife says I am pathetic.....what the hell does she know?

If you ever want to try it again let me know. I quit working Saturdays and have MUCH more free time. Dorsai (MarK) and I built his kit up about 3 weeks ago. I just got done building one on a Tapco flat and it came out smoother than the Ewbanks receiver.

I purchased a HB spot welder and used Cazador223 (Tom's) bendling jig and Mapp gas torch. The flats come out really nice.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely gorgeous! Nice work!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
That paint job is extra special.

I am not going to be happy with this project until I see that these things run. Beauty is only skin deep.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
NICE! Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on an underfolder stock like that?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Super nice!

Great job shooters.

Is there any monetary benefit in building your own, or just the job satisfaction?

Thanks
Ray
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
444.....What the hell am I going to do with you?  Yours is ready to paint, c'mon over, or at least come with me to test fire this puppy.  ( I almost forgot......I used all of your dura-coat on the neighbor's cat, we need to order sum more ).

As far as the cost of kit building......I think it is more of a hobby/whim/"what now" kind of thing.  I am in to this about $400, 5 months and a whole lot of worry.  I think you can get a nice underfold from Vector for about $600 or so....... But it is fun!

thanks all
"G"

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Blisters, I have a nice underfolding stock that I don't particularly want to put on my Polish Tantal 74 kit. If you can somehow come up with what it'd cost for me to buy a new rear trunion and compliant stock, I'd be glad to trade.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Those are nice, I love that dark wood.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey Blisters, I have a nice underfolding stock that I don't particularly want to put on my Polish Tantal 74 kit. If you can somehow come up with what it'd cost for me to buy a new rear trunion and compliant stock, I'd be glad to trade.

Okay, what would it somehow cost me? Just to clarify, I'm looking for an underfolding stock for my Romanian (stamped receiver) SAR-1.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
It's nice to see these kits coming together after so many months of waiting for parts and such, I just finished building a kit that I received back in Sept and as Doc mentioned I have a flat bending jig that is available for anyone that would like to bend their own receivers.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:21:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Okay, what would it somehow cost me? Just to clarify, I'm looking for an underfolding stock for my Romanian (stamped receiver) SAR-1.

Is it already put together? If so, you're in for a load of work, seeing as how you'll have to grind the rivets off and remove the rear trunion, then have a gunsmith or machinist cut a hole for the folding stock hardware then reassemble the whole kerjiggy.

If you just have an unassembled parts set lying around, how about we trade rear trunions, stocks and say throw in like fifty bucks and I'll be more than happy to make a trade with you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Serious? I had no idea it involved that much work... I figured there just must be some underfolding stock out there somewhere that would easy replace the wood buttstock on my SAR-1. I don't want to heavily modify my rifle or anything... just add an underfolding stock.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Serious? I had no idea it involved that much work

It is easier than it sounds, I am in the process of building 2 underfolder AKs and would be glad to offer my tools and assistance.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Gary didn't update this thread, but we took his rifle out the other day and gave it the smoke test. It ran like a champ. Not a single malfunction, and the sights were reasonable close: definitely lined up horizontally.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top