Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 10:38:59 PM EDT
Does anyone in the Reno Carson area shoot IPSC or IDPA? I have a bunch of questions I'd like to ask if so. The nets kinda confusing. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Sadly, all you'll find are some old references to IDPA shoots in Carson City.  There hasn't been any activity that anyone will talk about in a few years now...

[ETA]
I asked this same question just about 1 year ago and the only responder told me that he went to the Carson shoot and they weren't shooting any more.  There's hope yet...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
M4TIM---
What would you like to know?  
I was the public relations board member for the Western Nevada Pistol League and have shot pistols competitively here in Northern Nevada and California for the last six years.  
We shoot on the first Sunday of every month, 9am, at the range north of Reno on Pyramid Hwy. April thru October we also host a Production Pistol league to introduce new shooters to the sport.  This is geared towards first time shooters and we encourage wives, girlfriends, and kids to attend.
Go hit wnpl.org and check out the local USPSA club.  We are always looking for new members and have lots of enthusiastic shooters.
As far as IDPA goes.........I haven't shot it in years.  I know that the local group shoots at the Carson range on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month.  You may want to drop by, say hello, and see if they are looking for new members.
Any other questions just ask them here as others may be interested as well.
---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried going to http://wnpl.org and also http://www.wnpl.org and neither URL responded with an active site.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Very strange.  I just tried it and it works fine.  Here is the link I just used.
http://wnpl.org/
Give it a shot.   If it doesn't work..........just start asking away I've got some free time.
---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The WNPL folks are really cool.  I'd really like to shoot the IPSC matches, but the Sunday schedule makes it difficult.  

No slumming at ARF, now ;-), AA.  BTW, I'm getting more rifle time in lately --- we need to get together for some long-range fun when good weather arrives.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
ScottyS---
Just let me know when you are free.  I had a great time shooting your .50 when we went out last.
I wouldn't mind shooting one of the varmint silhouette matches out at Pyramid as a warm-up as I'm heading back over to Africa in May.  Eland, Kudu, Warthog, and Zebra are on the menu for this hunt in Namibia.  
I need some trigger time on the Sako .300 Ultramag and varmint silhouette is a fun way to get it.  Might be a bit close for you though...........or would you be up for dueling on the 2 liter bottles at 100 yards offhand again?
---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
AA,
More dueling @ 100.....yes.  Your screaming .40 loads sure kept it interesting.  After we went out I realized that the 750gr rounds were still only loaded with lower-intensity 5010 powder, hence the lack of muzzle flash and overall effects.  I have some VV20N29 that I use with the solids only that is much more.....experiential.  Back to the Dark Continent, eh?  You should take the Warthog with your racegun.  I'll be picking up a nice resetting steel plate that is perfect for rifle practice this week.  Been shooting the .308 between 300 and 1000 lately, went to 600 today until the wind got out of control.  Maybe take the Sako out for something like that?  Tagging steel with rifles is fun too.  Schedule is good 'cause I'm slated for work in AK this summer starting May, hopefully.  I'll shoot you an email as soon as I can coordinate a good weather day with a pack full of ammo.  Are you a world-class chef now?
Scotty

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
ScottyS---
Reactive steel for rifle!...........I'm all over that.  Nice to get that immediate positive feedback.
Would appreciate some good advice on long-range rifle shooting.  Scoped rifle from 300 to 1000 yards is pretty much the only area I haven't tried competitively.  Definitely a weak spot for me.  
Am I a world-class chef yet?????  I wish..........but nobody around me is starving either.

m4tim and SnakeEye---
Sorry about the thread hijack.  Let me know if either of you are interested in any of the competitive pistol games here in Northern Nevada.  I know dates and times for all the local clubs as well as the Man on Man steel shoots and a Steel Challenge monthly match that may be starting this spring.  I can also let you know what you might need in the way of equipment, preparation, etc.

---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
AllAlphas,

I've got something going on with my network.  I can get to your site from work, but not from home!

Sending you an email as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#10]
AllAlphas
Don't mean to post off topic but I think an IPSC style course shot with an ar15 and pistol would be a lot of fun.
I've done this a few times out of state while doing IPSC practice with my limited gun.
any chance of getting something like this going?????

Randy
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]
SnakeEye---
Got your e-mail and launched one back at ya.  Let me know if you have any more ?'s.

Velvetant---
What you are describing is two-thirds of the sport of 3-gun.  We also like to throw in a little shotgun to mix things up.

Unfortunately turnout for our 3-gun matches was rather spotty........and anyone who has ever tried to set up a four or five stage 3-gun match knows how difficult it can be.  We have club members to design the stages but warm, willing bodies are absolutely necessary for set-up and takedown.

The club has lots of 3-gun equipment including some real nice targets, steel, etc.  What we lacked was the manpower to get it out of the trailers and onto the range.  Five to seven guys can get it done, but it isn't easy or fun.  If we could get ten to fifteen guys out there on a Saturday I guarantee we could do it on a monthly basis.  

After all our club hosted the USPSA 3-Gun Nationals this last summer and one of our members designed the stages and was range master for the match.

So if any of you are interested try coming out and shooting a couple of the pistol matches.  If you like the club and want to get a tactical rifle, pistol and shotgun match going I'm sure we could get it restarted.

---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
SnakeEye---
Got your e-mail and launched one back at ya.  Let me know if you have any more ?'s.

Velvetant---
What you are describing is two-thirds of the sport of 3-gun.  We also like to throw in a little shotgun to mix things up.

Unfortunately turnout for our 3-gun matches was rather spotty........and anyone who has ever tried to set up a four or five stage 3-gun match knows how difficult it can be.  We have club members to design the stages but warm, willing bodies are absolutely necessary for set-up and takedown.

The club has lots of 3-gun equipment including some real nice targets, steel, etc.  What we lacked was the manpower to get it out of the trailers and onto the range.  Five to seven guys can get it done, but it isn't easy or fun.  If we could get ten to fifteen guys out there on a Saturday I guarantee we could do it on a monthly basis.  

After all our club hosted the USPSA 3-Gun Nationals this last summer and one of our members designed the stages and was range master for the match.

So if any of you are interested try coming out and shooting a couple of the pistol matches.  If you like the club and want to get a tactical rifle, pistol and shotgun match going I'm sure we could get it restarted.

---AllAlphas

I shoot up there a lot,  I probably know your face and you mine. I was there for the police games but did not make it out for the 3 gun nationals. My 12 guage o/u doesnt work well for three gun...LOL

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top