Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 11:44:57 PM EDT
Awoke from my cozy bed to use the restroom,time to get up and go to work..........all is good..........

A sudden sting on the way out leads to a Quik WTF!!!!!!!

Light goes on and a quik look down................

Mr Scorpion has just announced his presence.

It's now 12:35 am and I've called the poison control center,my foot hurts like hell,I can feel the poison spreading and I'm starting to limp.

I am told to monitor myself for anapahlactic shock or something of the sort,so far so good.

The pain is proggressing nicely.

Here's a number for you guys if this should happen to ya, Poison Control Center-732-4989 and of course-911

I live in an upstairs apt,this is kinda nuts with all my time out hiking,camping and exploring the Nevada desert to happen in my own gosh darn bathroom.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  

The leg should go numb soon...

Thank your neighbors for feeding him.  Those antique spiders come inside for food or water.  A nice tasty cockroach, or some standing water is all they need for an invatation.

Time to whip out the blacklight, and make sure his friends have not come to the party too.

Some good tips here for detection / prevention of scorpions in the home:

ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1223/

Lem
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok,its 1:25 AM.

My foot has gone completely numb from the pain.

Lem your right, my leg is going numb to the knee.

My pulse is good and breathing is OK,alittle swelling in my throat but not severe.

The pain is intense and comes in a sorta wave type fashion,so far I've taken 4 multi vitamins,1 flax oil,1 omega 3,and 3 Extra strength Systemic Enzymes with 4 glasses of fresh orange juice to combat the sting.

If the swelling persists in the airway I'm off to the hospital.

I feel OK.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:26:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude,

I have never been stung by a scorpion, but what you are going through is nothing to fuck with.....

Just like your eyes and ears you have only two feet. I couldn't imagine losing any of them.

Have someone drive you to UMC.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#4]
ishoot2live,

The wife is at work and on alert!

Were close to Mountain View if the need arrises,I kinda want to see if I can get thru it.

It's now 3 hours into the sting,the swelling in my throat has subsided,but the pain in my foot is still quite strong and the numbness has gone down from the knee to the ankle area.I can't wiggle my toes but I can feel everything.

Breathing and pulse are OK.

Swelling is minimal.

I've got the scorpion in a small tupperware container,wondering what I should do with it,kill it-eat it or release it back out in the desert.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've got the scorpion in a small tupperware container,wondering what I should do with it,kill it-eat it or release it back out in the desert.

KEEP HIM!

If you require hospitalization, take him with your for identification purposes.

You probably want to make and appointment with your doctor anyway; apart from the immediate effects of the sting and the venom, a full run of antibiotics is often prescribed for insect-inflicted wounds, as a secondary infection of bacteria can complicate your situation long after the original sting is no longer a danger.

Remeber, bugs are DIRTY, and are covered in bacteria and general filth. All that crap just got an express ride into your system with that sting

If after all is resolved, and you still have your arachnid living in tuperware, you can either inflict your revenge upon him and start cooking him (slowly ), or decide he can't help his nature, and forgive him. (See story below)

Or, make him your pet

Get a little terrarium with a light, and a heat rock and some desert shelter (wood, chunks of brush, etc.) and feed him crickets from the pet store.

Could make one helluva story .....

"See this little guy? I named him 'Sting.' This one morning in the bathroom, he almost killed me! It happened like this ......"

It Is My Nature Said the Scorpion

The Emperor Scorpion as a Pet

- "Would you help me cross the river?" The scorpion asks the turtle.

- "Hop on!" Says the turtle generously, "but you have to promise not to sting me?"

- "I promise." The scorpion declares.

He then jumps on. The turtle swims across the river. Just as they get to the other bank the scorpion stings the turtle.

- "Why did you do that?" Asks the turtle painfully right before he takes his last breath and sinks under the water.

- "I can't help it ...... it is in my nature..." The scorpion answers.

~Aesop's Fables

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of fun - not.   Been there, done that - and the goddamn Tee shirt shrunk!

BTHP, Gryphon is right - you gotta keep this one!   That little fukker just became a POW.

The witch my wife used to work for got hit on her hand reaching into her desk - we thought it was poetic justice.  She asked id scorpions ate potato chips (the pig kept food in her desk) my wife told her (after she stopped laughing) that scorpions eat cockroaches - the roaches that had been eating her chips.  She has complained about roaches in the office a few weeks earlier, but the problem had seemed to "fix itself"...  Seems the scorp bit the biggest cockroach in the office!

Hope you are feeling better today.  Go see your doctor to prevent secondary infections, as the stinger is indeed not the cleanest thing around.

Lem
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I must live near you, since I'm close to Mountain View hospital, too. Gives me a new use for that black lightbulb from last Halloween.

What color is he? When we first moved into our house, we found a 2" beige one heading for our front door. That was after it scared my in-laws, who were in the living room.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

if you decide to act out revenge could you proove or dispell a rumor for me?
i heard they can live in gasoline for a little while.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know about that. but it might be fun to freeze him and thaw him out a few times.  

Don't tell PETA!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I'm into almost 12 hours now and........

The pain is still very prevalent and the feelings are back in my toe's,I can walk but it kinda feels like when your legs fall asleep and everything tingles.

There is no swelling and only a small red dot from the sting.

The Family doctor wants me to come in for a tetanus shot and antiboitics,I'm going to hold off and see how my natural healing handles it,only because I spend alot of time out (there) and this is a great learning expeirence.I know I'm up to date on the tetanus.

I was up at Beatty on an overnight hike,the 22nd and 23rd and my wife thinks it may have snuck into my gear but when I went to the office and showed them.....HaHa that was fun! other residents have found them but I'm the first to report an actuall sting.

This little sucker is only 3 inches long and is dark sandyish in color with 4 distinct white dots on each side of the underbody and he's aggressive as can be,when I open the container he is at a salute and the tail wags back and forth like he's hypnotizing you.

I don't know how to post picks but you can email me and I can send them if you want to see [email protected]

I'm pretty sure he's a keeper,gonna hit the pet shop and get supply's.

And just good mention for the Poison Control Center,they are very helpfull,I'm a big guy at 6" 225 pounds and know my body well,if you have children.......911.......or straight to the hospital,if its a Bark Scorpion and allergic reaction ensues,to my understanding Arizona is the only place for antivenin.

time for a nap.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]
".....es,I kinda want to see if I can get thru it."

Yep ......... That's Dave
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know about that. but it might be fun to freeze him and thaw him out a few times.  

Don't tell PETA!!

Trial by fire!

If he survives freezing/thawing/burning, then he's a witch ..... in which case Behead the little bugger (or keep him as a permanent POW). If doesn't survive ...... well, then ....... he was mortal.

Fire And Ice
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

~Robert Frost
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, that sucks.  Might want to look into some Diatomaceous earth for around your place.  I've seen it at Vons in the pool section.  They don't live through that, and it's harmless to us and pets.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
You can keep those things down south Hope you are all better soon

I'm still trying to figure out what happened at five minutes til noon
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I fucking hate those things.... Most insects know when they should be afraid of you, but scorpions dont. Every time I've found one it's done that "full salute" (as you call it) and was ready to fight. The times I had boots to deal with it were fun though. Even saw one get stomped on and still manage to run off missing a leg.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Sun spiders are fun, too...not scared of people and very vicious. Found one in our garage before (although not as big as these photos...about 3").

www.spiderzrule.com/wind.htm
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Remember what they say about splitting one's gear....

I've got dibs on the M1A !
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You can keep those things down south Hope you are all better soon

I'm still trying to figure out what happened at five minutes til noon

Dude, there up here too the buggers are dormant for now but come warmer weather watch the rock you overturn where you stick your hand/hands keep your boots on 'High and Tight' shake your sleeping bag/blanket if it's been lying on the ground etc. also beware of Brown Recluse spiders those suckers can cause a Nasty bite.

p.s. Bb  Welcome to Nevada,you know what I mean
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Luckily I don't think we have to worry too much about the Brown Recluse here in Northern Nevada.  We are pretty far out of their territory.  
According to the experts, residents of Vegas may want to avoid some relatives of the Brown Recluse.  Just another perk for our friends in the South!

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef631.htm

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5num2/special/recluse.html

Black Widows on the other hand are all over the place up here.  

---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Luckily I don't think we have to worry too much about the Brown Recluse here in Northern Nevada.  We are pretty far out of their territory.  
According to the experts, residents of Vegas may want to avoid some relatives of the Brown Recluse.  Just another perk for our friends in the South!

---AllAlphas

A neighbor of ours got bit by something he didn't feel. He ignored it, and sure enough, the bite turned into a Bulls-eye, and went necrotic. If I hadn't started showing him pictures of the awful things that happen to people's limbs from Recluse bites, he wouldn't have gone to the hospital.

As it turns out, he lost a pocket of flesh about 1/2 inch deep and a bit bigger than a silver dollar from his calf. That was 5 months ago, and he still walks with a limp.

Sounds like a textbook case of a Recluse bite to me (and the doctors who prescribed antibiotics to him).

We live in Gardnerville.

Don't take it for granted that the bugs will stick to their published habitats or ranges - they didn't read the textbook explaining how they can't survive out of natural environment
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

---AllAlphas

A neighbor of ours got bit by something he didn't feel. He ignored it, and sure enough, the bite turned into a Bulls-eye, and went necrotic. If I hadn't started showing him pictures of the awful things that happen to people's limbs from Recluse bites, he wouldn't have gone to the hospital.

As it turns out, he lost a pocket of flesh about 1/2 inch deep and a bit bigger than a silver dollar from his calf. That was 5 months ago, and he still walks with a limp.

Sounds like a textbook case of a Recluse bite to me (and the doctors who prescribed antibiotics to him).

We live in Gardnerville.

Don't take it for granted that the bugs will stick to their published habitats or ranges - they didn't read the textbook explaining how they can't survive out of natural environment

Well said and Thanks GryphonX
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Well everything is back to normal at about 8:00 this morning all effects of the sting are gone.

Chiz don't worry,the other half knows what to do.

I know the Brown Recluse has bitten several people down here in Southern Nevada,that is one bad little critter.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]
"Don't take it for granted that the bugs will stick to their published habitats or ranges - they didn't read the textbook explaining how they can't survive out of natural environment "

Very good point!  If I happen to run across one I'll be sure to educate him with a large, heavy textbook.  I just hate to see all these southern carpetbaggers heading north!

---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Very good point!  If I happen to run across one I'll be sure to educate him with a large, heavy textbook.  I just hate to see all these southern carpetbaggers heading north!

---AllAlphas

What a great mental image!

"Now see here, little buggy. This here texbook says that you aren't supposed to be all the way up here. You're a Looooooooong way from your natural habitat. So let's re-educate you you!"

THWWUMP!-SPLATT!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sun spiders are fun, too...not scared of people and very vicious. Found one in our garage before (although not as big as these photos...about 3").

www.spiderzrule.com/wind.htm

Thanks Buttercup.................Now I will have the ""creeps""  all day.  As said above "I hate those fucking things"  Nothing makes me run like a bitch and yell for my son who laughs his ass off while dealing with it.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#26]
There's a vid clip on the 'net somewhere of a Wind Spider taking a scorpion down and eating it.  They apparently don't have any venom that is harmful to us, but are incredibly strong.  I like having them around up here, even if they are a bit spooky.  My brother got a Recluse-style bite back when we were kids in the Yerington area, so I watch for them just in case.  I kinda like all the Widows as long as they are located strategically, as they aid with pest control and don't stray too far from home.

Cool report, man.  Interesting to hear the development, as I spend a lot of time in the desert myself....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top