Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:41:19 PM EDT
My buddy Ike just called me and said that three Metro cops were shot with what was described as either and AK47 or AR15 assualt rifle near Durango and Russell. One of the cops was shot in the head and died instantly....

I hope the other cops pull through and really don't want to hear how this guy had a family and kids .. I hate hearing about kids losing a father and a cop shot by some bastards....

thanks,
Ron

ETA:

The news just said that the shooter was killed and that only 1 other cop was wonunded. Ike was at the hospital when he called me and said that two guys were wounded?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Terrible news indeed...

www.kvvutv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4442253

Edited to hotlink...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
A very black day in Las Vegas.

My prayers are with the family of the slain officer and the surviving officers and their families.

FUCKER!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
All I've heard is "assault rifle", but no description of make, model or caliber.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
During the press conference Assistant Sheriff Rod Jett used the term assault rifle. Now the media is running with that and they are mentioning it in every other sentence.

No matter what type of gun it was, i.e. AR15, Mini 14, Tec-9, SKS or AK, it will still be referred to as an "assault rifle." Hell, I have seen the media call a Ruger 10/22 with a 30 round mag and a collapsable stock an assault rifle.

Nonetheless, the Las Vegas community now has a hole in its heart.

Such a sad, sad day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Sad VERY sad
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
This is sad news indeed.  
My heart felt condolences to metro and the families.

A lot more details will come out I hope but in just looking at the first broadcast, typical overreaction by schools.

Now I know when we had the officer involved shooting here a couple of weeks ago a lot of cops showed up.  Still trying to figure out why they needed so many and so many more for this one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Very sad, and he left two little girls behind. I've got two of my own, they must be devastated.

Not to make light of this situation, but I'm watching the 10 o'clock news on FOX right now. THeir star reporter said '1 out of 5 officers killed are killed with assault weapons.'  Is that true? HCI.com is down, i can't verify.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I talked to Ike again about the shooting and he heard that it was actually an SKS and not an AK... but he wasn't 100% sure.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is sad news indeed.  
My heart felt condolences to metro and the families.

A lot more details will come out I hope but in just looking at the first broadcast, typical overreaction by schools.

Now I know when we had the officer involved shooting here a couple of weeks ago a lot of cops showed up. Still trying to figure out why they needed so many and so many more for this one.

This shooting is truly a sad event.  My prayers go out to the family of the officers and the entire Las Vegas Metropolitan Police community.

Having a family member who was a military police officer and now an employee with Metro, I know that the call of an "Officer Down" is a call that every officer and the family members of an officer do not want to get.

As for the schools overreacting, I disagree. There is no way I would want my child in the area where shots had been fired until Metro (or whatever police department is in charge within the community at the time of the incident) said it was safe. I do not think the school made this call on their own, Metro had every right to lock down the area and the school(s) or any other parts of the community they deemed fit to lock down.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I talked to Ike again about the shooting and he heard that it was actually an SKS and not an AK... but he wasn't 100% sure.

thanks,
Ron

I just finished watching the press conference held by Sheriff Bill Young. He referred to the rifle as a MAK 90.

At first Sheriff Young said that it was a "semi-automatic" rifle, but later in the news conference he referred to it as an "Assault Rifle."

The guy that killed the officer was known to have intent to kill a police officer, he was ready for a confrontation, he had a criminal record and he was not going to be taken alive.

Anyone that knows me personally knows that I am pro-law enforcement and I would give my life to come to the aid of a police officer under fire.

I hope this incident doesn't jade law enforcement in our community to look upon us law abiding riflle owners as bad guys.

God Bless Metro.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Bob, this happened right around where Eric E used to live.  Damn stones throw from my house.  Crazy shit indeed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I just finished watching the local news, and have to give channel 3's Nina Raditeitch (sp?) credit.  She clearly said several times, "Semi automatic Rifle".  Never once used the word "assault" in connection with the weapon.

The DID of course play the clip of that jackass Jett's statement about an "Assault Rifle".  

So when will we legislate against the dangerous weapon used here?  I think we should be registering rappers immediately.  I will volunteer to help apply the necessary serial numbers...

Lem

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Wolfpack:

Well, whatever her political disposition the next time you see her, thank her for being fair & factual - a rare thing in the media these days.

Lem

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope none are offended by this but for those that pray please join me.
I hope to paste this in good taste and sincerety for heros stricken in the line of duty

The Lord is my Shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
For His Name's sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
For you are with me;
Your rod and Your staff - they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies,
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life.
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
My whole life long.

[Psalm 23:1-6; NRSV]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I hope none are offended by this but for those that pray please join me.
I hope to paste this in good taste and sincerety for heros stricken in the line of duty

The Lord is my Shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
For His Name's sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
For you are with me;
Your rod and Your staff - they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies,
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life.
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
My whole life long.

[Psalm 23:1-6; NRSV]

Prayers said with you....

Thank you for the post..
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]
On the news they showed UMC and there had to be at least 30 uniformed officers when they were bringing in the officer that was shot in the leg and more than that at the scene hours after the incident. How is it logical to pull that kind of man power off the streets?

Please don't take this as cop bashing, it's not. Just wondering. God bless these guys families.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
On the news they showed UMC and there had to be at least 30 uniformed officers when they were bringing in the officer that was shot in the leg and more than that at the scene hours after the incident. How is it logical to pull that kind of man power off the streets?

Please don't take this as cop bashing, it's not. Just wondering. God bless these guys families.

It's not pulling officers off the street, it's officers coming in on thier days off without being on the clock to show support for one of their own.I am a Metro police officer.Thanks guys for all the support and condolences.

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:09:49 AM EDT
[#22]
So very sad.  Poor family of the officer, wife and kids, mom and dad.  Prayer from this home also.

I for 1 would love to see a ban on Rap....maybe not illegal to have it, just illegal to MAKE it...for say 10 yrs or so.

"G"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Ch. 3 this morning is rambling on about the expired AWB , "rapid fire, high capacity magazines" and quoting the Violence Policy Center. Here we go....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:47:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I just saw the same news brief.  They keep calling it a weapon "similar" to the AK47 without naming it.  I also think there is something seriously wrong with the "1 in 5" statistic regarding "assault rifles" and officer deaths.  I suspect that the figure is only possible with a radically expanded definition of "assault rifle".  Hell, I wouldn't put it past them to include any officers serving in Iraq in the NG or Reserves.

I checked the RJ and noticed this, "A plainclothes officer with the gang unit was armed with an assault rifle and helped turn the tide."

For those who are looking to counter criticism, one other statistic stood out.  This is the first metro officer killed in 17 years.  That tells me that we don't have a very high rate of officer deaths.  I don't know the gap between the officer 17 years ago and the one before, but it suggests that there have been probably close to 100,000 police officers in Las Vegas in all of those years and 2 deaths means that our officers are pretty safe compared to most other cities.

Channel 3's coverage also mentioned Nevada as being one of the largest producers of legally tweaked "assault weapons" during the ban.  Hmmm.  I guess they really weren't a problem then during the 10 years of the ban were they?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just saw the same news brief.  They keep calling it a weapon "similar" to the AK47 without naming it.  I also think there is something seriously wrong with the "1 in 5" statistic regarding "assault rifles" and officer deaths.  I suspect that the figure is only possible with a radically expanded definition of "assault rifle".  Hell, I wouldn't put it past them to include any officers serving in Iraq in the NG or Reserves.

I checked the RJ and noticed this, "A plainclothes officer with the gang unit was armed with an assault rifle and helped turn the tide."

For those who are looking to counter criticism, one other statistic stood out.  This is the first metro officer killed in 17 years.  That tells me that we don't have a very high rate of officer deaths.  I don't know the gap between the officer 17 years ago and the one before, but it suggests that there have been probably close to 100,000 police officers in Las Vegas in all of those years and 2 deaths means that our officers are pretty safe compared to most other cities.

Channel 3's coverage also mentioned Nevada as being one of the largest producers of legally tweaked "assault weapons" during the ban.  Hmmm.  I guess they really weren't a problem then during the 10 years of the ban were they?

They will get a lot more mileage out of it by calling it similar to an ak-47, rather than calling it what it is, an SKS. It is done purely to stir the sheeple up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Not to mention that this kind of incident does nothing for the local tourist economy.  It'll be buried in the news in a day or two.  A shame for the officers involved.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Guys, this will all die down fast. People forgot about 9-11 2 weeks after it happened.

I am sorry for the officer and his family.   They will be in my prayers.
I don't how people can forget about 9 11
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm not sure how or if this will work but maybe we can start an ARFCOM charity for the officers family. I'm sure anything and everything that can be given to help support the family at a time like this is much appreciated even if it is from "evil rifle" owners.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm not sure how or if this will work but maybe we can start an ARFCOM charity for the officers family. I'm sure anything and everything that can be given to help support the family at a time like this is much appreciated even if it is from "evil rifle" owners.

I like that idea...I'd be up for it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Found this link over on SIG forum:  Officer info
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do we have to get a mod to set this type of thing up? I guess we'll have to wait to see how many people would be interested...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do we have to get a mod to set this type of thing up? I guess we'll have to wait to see how many people would be interested...

No mod needed but I do think we should wait a while. At least a few weeks to a month.

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm in.

We need to appoint a curator and open a bank account. Then post the bank and account number on the board so members can stop by any branch and donate. Also, the curator can post a physical mail address and collect donations that way as well.

Once the account fills up the curator can close the account and present a Cashier's Check to the officer's family on behalf of the Nevada ARFcom community.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#36]
there is already an account set up at any Wells Fargo, unless you are looking for one only for arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I think the intent is to set up a separate memorial fund within the Nevada ARFcom community, and then present the proceeds to either Metro or directly to the surviving family. That's the way I interpreted the original intention.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
www.klastv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4449528

Another problem are copycat assault weapons. According to a report from a group called the Violence Policy Center, Nevada, Arizona and Utah have the largest concentration of these copycat manufactures in the country. They make mostly cosmetic changes to banned weapons and then market them as "post-ban" guns.

Glad to see KLAS is on top of "post-ban" guns and such. What ban again?

What about the 3 paragraphs before that one where the owner of American Shooters Supply says there should be no private party tranfers without a background check.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Another problem are copycat assault weapons. According to a report from a group called the Violence Policy Center, Nevada, Arizona and Utah have the largest concentration of these copycat manufactures in the country. They make mostly cosmetic changes to banned weapons and then market them as "post-ban" guns.

That story makes me sick. Utter BS.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#42]
And let's not forget the "UZI TRIANGLE." I heard that new phrase on Channel 3.

They are labeling Nevada, Arizona and Utah the Uzi triangle because supposedly during the original 1994 Ban over 100 companies relocated to those three states and started "COPYCAT" Assault weapons fabrication factories.

Please, somebody put me out of this Friggin' misery.

When will it end? Oh, when will it end?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

When will it end? Oh, when will it end?

Tonight on Fox news at 10 they interviewed a clerk at Discount. He demonstrated the SKS on the range, along with a FA M16. Personally, i would've refused an interview.  The newscasters were commenting on how easy it was to get one--saying you only needed to be 18. At least the clerk also mentioned the background check.

John Huck: "But we don't know where he got it from...a guy like him shouldn't be allowed to own something like that!"

The viewers were welcomed to fill out a form on the 'Rant,' KVVU's version of action news.  Feel free to contribute.

http://www.kvvu.com/Global/category.asp?C=72400

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Filthy Animals! Using this tragedy to further thier political gun control agend, just as bad as their stinkin patriot act in my opinion. That dirt bags criminal intent was the same wether he had an sks or a stinkin pellet gun. You go tell that old bag whats up wolf pack.hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I did my rant to Channel 5.  Also, I keep hearing this scumbag had been arrested on drug charges and had a petty theft conviction.  Am I correct that this would not have kept him from passing his background check?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the 3 paragraphs before that one where the owner of American Shooters Supply says there should be no private party tranfers without a background check.  

Didn't go there very often anyways.  Sure as hell won't be going there at all in the future.

I suggest E-mailing that link to all of out shooter friends so that they can make an informed decision on where to shoot / shop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I did a rant literally right before I came over here. I politely informed them that they were screwing up the facts. From what I have seen, channel 8 is the worst. They even have several links to the brady campaign directly on their page. I saw it at least twice on one page.

If it is clear with the mods/owner of the site, I am more than willing to set up the bank account in Sgt. Prendes' name.

Wolfpack: Should I e-mail or pm the owner, or should I construe your consent as sufficient?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#49]
American Shooter Supply contacts web Page.  For those that would like to express their opinions to the management.  I already have.

ETA: Never mind.  They come back as undeliverable.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top