Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 3:09:37 PM EDT
My first post, so hi all. What shooting ranges in clark county are 50 bmg friendly? I went to boulder city range and when I asked why they dont like fiftys the old timer looked at me like I was the plague and said we just dont. Do you just shoot in the desert or do you drive to sparks? "I plan to buy fifty after I get my taxes" drooling on an ar 50.
thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
dude drive out into the desert and start taking rocks out. your in nevada man only time they start getting mad is if you start shooting at airplanes. ok well up here in the north thats how it is down south you probably have a bunch of tools from cali that are cops. if i was you though i would just head out into the desert a few miles an call it good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Never thought about taking it to a public range..........

Not really sure of any down south that would allow it. You could try Desert Sportsmans.

Desert is fine in my book. Plenty of rabbits for hunting
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I am "pretty sure" that Boulder City doesn't allow them on the ranges. If they do, only for members for sure.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
American Shooters allow them on the indoor in town
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Boulder City doesn't allow them on any of their ranges.  They are probably concerned about their steel targets getting torn up.  Whatever their reasons, it's their sandbox and their rules.  The public range side only offers shooting up to 100 yards, which is a waste of time and money for shooting a .50 BMG at.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Boulder City doesn't allow them on any of their ranges.  They are probably concerned about their steel targets getting torn up.  Whatever their reasons, it's their sandbox and their rules.  The public range side only offers shooting up to 100 yards, which is a waste of time and money for shooting a .50 BMG at.

The reason why Boulder doesn't allow .50 BMG's is because, as the crow flies the Dam is not very far Northeast of the rifle range.

After an errant .50 BMG round hit a French tourist's rental car several miles away from Desert Sportsman while it was parked at Red Rock several years ago, the Board at Boulder didn't want to take a chance of an errant round coming close to the Dam like the one did at Red Rock. I believe that's why .50's are no longer allowed at BRPC.

The reason why they don't allow AP rounds at Boulder is because over the years idiots were destroying the club's steel. If shooters would have just brought out and hung their own steel it probably wouldn't have been an issue. I can't say I can blame them (the club), they work very hard at keeping the range up and the yearly dues are still very reasonable for what the club and the range has to offer.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Desert sounds like the way to fly. creamed rabbit anyone. yah shame people destroy stuff, brpc has nice facilities, holy hell a fifty round in some schmucks carhock.gif duck and cover
thanks folks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
creamed rabbit anyone.

Yeah - good luck finding even enough to lick off the spoon!

You'd be lucky to find the blood splatter against the crater

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

After an errant .50 BMG round hit a French tourist's rental car several miles away from Desert Sportsman

Sure it was an errant round.   However, once the statute of limitations runs up I'd love to hear the real story.  How much elevation and wind correction was needed for the shot, etc.  

I'm sure that gave Frenchy to scream about when he went back to Frogland.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

After an errant .50 BMG round hit a French tourist's rental car several miles away from Desert Sportsman

Sure it was an errant round.   However, once the statute of limitations runs up I'd love to hear the real story.  How much elevation and wind correction was needed for the shot, etc.  

I'm sure that gave Frenchy to scream about when he went back to Frogland.

To the best of my knowledge I believe that the French tourists were hiking or just doing "tourist" stuff at Red Rock, and when they came back to the parking area their rental car (a Pontiac) wouldn't start.

When they called for help (the Frenchy tourists) a tow truck driver showed up and lifted the hood on the rental car. I think a .50 cal. round was found in the air filter assembly by the tow truck driver (not to mention a hole in one of the fenders). To the best of my knowledge that is when the Rangers were called and the ".50 cal. saga began." I remember seeing a Ranger on TV holding a .50 cal. round in his hand when the media did the story.

After that incident I believe that Desert Sportsman banned .50 cals. for a short time. Then, once the word got out within the gun community (not to mention all the media hype) Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club banned the .50 at that range.

Am I somewhat accurate about this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top