Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 1:47:00 PM EDT
What is the legal procedure here in Nevada?  Is it a simple face to face exchange?  Do you have to go through a dealer for a back ground check?  Etc....

I've been in this state for sometime, but all of the guns that I have bought have been through dealers.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
In the case of long guns face to face is OK so long as you are comfortable about the heritage of the weapon, as for handguns you need to register them if your in Clark county so most people meet at the police station or again if your happy about the sale you can do face to face but if you have to register then you must within 24hrs
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Reno you just do the trade or sale, no nothin...but Clark county is a bunch of assholes, I wouldnt live there......just make sure the guy you sell to is a Nevadan.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 Pedro

Let me add:

In Clark County, the best and safest way to sell a handgun (especially to a stranger) is to make the deal right at a LVMPD substation.

If you just give the gun to the buyer and let him/her go to the substation on their own and they have anything in their background they didn't tell you about (some people are ignorant to the fact that some offenses will prohibit them from owning a firearm), your handgun will be impounded. If you are with the buyer and something does come up, the gun will be returned to you on the spot.

If the person doesn't register the handgun and something happens i.e. shooting accident, robbery, murder etc. "Lucy will have some Splainin' to do."

Once the deal is done at Metro the seller will be off the hook. That's peace of mind if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't sell to anyone face-to-face without looking at their driver's license to make sure that they are actually from Nevada.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't sell to anyone face-to-face without looking at their driver's license to make sure that they are actually from Nevada.

I don't do that. If they are from another state THEY are the one breaking the law. FTF is FTF, I won't do one with someone who wants to see my ID and I don't want to see theirs.

Well, a close reading of USC 18 922 (a)(5) says otherwise:

(a) It shall be unlawful -
       (5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed
     manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to
     transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to
     any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed
     manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the
     transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not
     reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business
     entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in
     which the transferor resides
; except that this paragraph shall
     not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a
     firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an
     acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who
     is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of
     the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a
     firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
     purposes;

I don't know that "I never ask" is an affirmative defense.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I am a CCW holder, and only sell to other CCW holders. It ensures both parties that the other is a safe buyer/seller and no problems... :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top