Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 3:52:35 PM EDT
Sup all, I might be in the Reno area soon and I'm trying to find a Stag or Fulton AR-15 receiver.  I'm from Texas, not Nevada... but things are pretty dry around here.  I have a buisness trip to Reno though here real soon, so I thought I might check it out while I'm there.  Again I'm a resident of Texas, but I don't think thats a problem up there right?  I know its not the other way around here.  Thanks for any help guys!

Technowizard.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny, I think those are the brands of lowers that Kali residents are in a dire search for right now

ETA Search reveals that TW posts a lot in the CA HTF and claims to be a member of the CA National Guard in Fresno!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sup all, I might be in the Reno area soon and I'm trying to find a Stag or Fulton AR-15 receiver.  I'm from Texas, not Nevada... but things are pretty dry around here.  I have a buisness trip to Reno though here real soon, so I thought I might check it out while I'm there.  Again I'm a resident of Texas, but I don't think thats a problem up there right?  I know its not the other way around here.  Thanks for any help guys!

Technowizard.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ETA Search reveals that TW posts a lot in the CA HTF and claims to be a member of the CA National Guard in Fresno!

From the Here's some BS thread:

Funny... I live in Madera and had no idea this went on ....
Technowizard.

There is no Madera in TX, its in CA.

but here he asserts that he has dual residence in Texas and California:

Of course this is why the words "United States" is an oxy moron! For this reason I keep my dual residence... not with Arizona, but with the state of Texas. Everyone should establish a second residency in a pro-gun state IMHO.... it really saves you on the BS and headaches from time to time.

He may be a resident of TX, which is admittedly more pro-gun than the PRK, but either he doesn't understand Federal Laws regarding the transfer of firearms, or he is choosing to ignore them.

Based on the fact that MisterSuzuki (of our own NV Hometown thread) educated technowizard about the limitations of interstate transfers in this same thread on 12/26/2005, and technowizard posts this request in our NV HomeTown Forum on 1/10/2006 makes me suspect some level of malfeasance .

Now the disclaimer and discussion:

technowizard,

If  you really are a dual-state resident, then bully for you. Most of us don't have the time and resources to maintain such a thing. You have the fantastic opportunity to exercise your "inalienable" rights in one of your states of residence despite the fact that the other state pointedly and gratuitously infringes on those same rights (Hell! That's one of the reasons we moved to NV in the first place - Madison Wisconsin uses the PRK as a role model when it comes to most gun rights!).

It may be legal for you to own and currently purchase anything you want in TX, but I would highly recommend that you look into the importation laws of CA. A lot of what you posted about in the hypothetical situation, I drive to AZ grab a stag lower... thread is banned in CA, and you are committing a felony if you take them from your home in TX to your home in CA unless you purchsed them before the CA AWB, and had them registered in CA before the Dec, 1999 deadline.

If you're a Guardsman (and I thank you for your service, by the way - its very much appreciated ), and you are bringing firearms into the state for the purposes of your service, then the rules may be different, but I am ignorant of any such exemption.

I'm not calling you a troll , but please forgive us examining your request with skepticism when you are asking us to help you break Federal Law.

(By the way, a face to face transfer of a serialized firearm between residents of different states is a Federal Crime - it is the reason we have FFLs. The law is the National Fireams Act of 1938, and was specifically part of the "Commerce and Trade" section dealing with Interstate Commerce.)

~GryphonX
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you say ATF, I thought you could.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Good detective work... but still you don't have all the facts.

Barrelburner, you shouldn't be so quick to judge.... same goes for  you too GryphonX, though I'll give you more credit since you at least took the time to look at both sides of the coin.

Now to fill in your "detective" holes.  Yes I serve in the California National Guard in the city of Fresno.  Yes while in California, I live in Madera, CA.  Since I joined the California Guard, I actually spend more time in Texas (where a good portion of our training bases are) than in California.  Due to this, I began working for a company that does field work in both California and Texas.  It makes life easier on me.  No I don't commute each month for drill... I do make up drills & summer camp at the same time so I only have to goto California for half the year.

So again yes these are the receiver brands that "Kali residents" are in dire search of.  Doesn't it make more sense that if I live there part of the year, and I was wanting to buy another AR.... to buy one that I could take with me so I could have something shoot?!  I did not know an out of state resident could not purchase a firearm in NV, but everything I had read and asked showed it to be fine in Texas to do... hence though why I ASKED if that was legal there!  Sheesh.

So next time why don't you ask before thinking you're the world's greatest investigators and start accusing me of being a f-ing felon... I love my country... I serve her and volunteer for every single deployment/crisis that comes up, even to the shit hole New Orleans!  Not a lot of us "Airmen" are so quick to actually pick up an M-16, since most haven't held one since Bootcamp's warrior week.

Ok, I'm done with my rant.  So back to my original question... so what you're saying Wolfpack, is that I can't with my Texas ID goto a dealer and buy a long gun from them?  It doesn't have to just be a receiver, but I'd rather build it up myself.  If it does have to shipped to an FFL in Texas... do you guys know who has any and what maybe the asking price is?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can you say ATF, I thought you could.

Hey longun45... can you say F-Off, I thought you could.

Edited... I decided to censor my swearing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'm done with my rant.  So back to my original question... so what you're saying Wolfpack, is that I can't with my Texas ID goto a dealer and buy a long gun from them?  It doesn't have to just be a receiver, but I'd rather build it up myself.  If it does have to shipped to an FFL in Texas... do you guys know who has any and what maybe the asking price is?  Thanks.

You can buy it and have it shipped to an FFL in Texas. To buy a long gun in NV you can be from Idaho, Oregon, Utah or Arizona and buy it on the spot after a backround check. I've bought long guns from dealers in AZ....it has to be a bordering state. I know Cali borders NV but I don't think any dealer will sell a firearm no matter what make or model to a Cali resident, I don't know if that is law or just dealers being cautious. All handguns would need to be shipped to your home state's FFL. I'm not a lawyer and not a genius so if anyone wants to correct me please go ahead.

Edit to add....I only buy guns private party so I don't know any dealers that have them or what they run anymore.

A Texas resident can purchase a rifle or shotgun in Nevada and take immediate possession.  There is no contiguous state provision in Nevada law. Federal allows the transfer as long as the sale is legal in both Nevada and Texas.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
What about the private party side???

Where does a private party have to guarantee the residence location of the purchaser?? I thought it was only for FFLs??

Especially since a private party has NO way to check to see if the purchaser is even eligible to possess the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A Texas resident can purchase a rifle or shotgun in Nevada and take immediate possession.  There is no contiguous state provision in Nevada law. Federal allows the transfer as long as the sale is legal in both Nevada and Texas.

Holy crap!  

If this is true, I'll be inserting my foot into my mouth, and eating some humble pie for dessert.

It was my understanding that when it came to choosing between State and Federal law, whichever was more stringent took precedence. In this case, the more stringent Federal law that explicitly says "No interstate firearms sales without FFL" would trump any convenient and gentlemanly agreements between gun-friendly states.

If that's NOT true, well then ....... Bully for us!

Technowizard,

Glad you came back to set the record straight.

I don't (and I don't think anyone else here does) mean any disrespect to legitimate and contributing Ar15.com members. We've just all here seen enough Trolls on here trying to pull some funky fast-ones, and then claiming naivete, and then just disappearing when someone calls their load of Bull for what it is.

This thread has started an interesting discussion from which we all stand to learn something.

How 'bout that! The original intent of the board fulfilled!

Considering how things are turning out, I'm glad our fears were wrong, and I thank you for coming here so that we may all learn.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I think you are incorrect, on the gun cases at Wal Mart there are stickers that state that residents of the border states Wolfpack listed are eligble to purchase weapons. It may be Wal Mart policy but I thought it was state law.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are incorrect, on the gun cases at Wal Mart there are stickers that state that residents of the border states Wolfpack listed are eligble to purchase weapons. It may be Wal Mart policy but I thought it was state law.

I'm afraid I left an important  part out of my statement.  The purchase in Nevada must be from a dealer.  An out of state resident cannot purchase from a Nevada resident without going through a dealer, either in Nevada or Texas.  I went through the Nevada section in the BATF Book on State Laws and Published Ordnances and could find nothing concerning restrictions on residents from other states in the Nevada Revised Statutes.  If it's there, I would appreciate it if someone would point it out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The ATF office is in ( guess where)  --  Fresno!!

The ATF has egg on their face still from the last debacle cause they did not uncover a "conspiracy". Any BUST that gets them press is a good bust.  They don't care who and they are working the gun shows and any other angle they can.  This should not be news.

This is what, about the 4th or 5th guy posting trolling for lowers in the last couple of years?

For what it's worth you can buy a rifle out of state from a dealer as long as the rifle is legal in your state.   Let's say I went to oklahoma and bought a rifle from a dealer, yep it would be legal (FTF required).  Not legal for hand guns.  Now nobody says they (ie Walmart) cannot just sell to instate residents, thats quite legal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#15]
For what its worth he can actually buy a stripped lower in Kalifornia so long as before it is assembled he makes it non removable 10 round magazine. When I lived there and worked for an FFL he checked with the CA DOJ and they confirmed this as a stripped receiver has no evil features and COULD be assembled into any configuration at  which point they may or may not become interested.

Of course he will need to find an FFL who understands this.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]
private parties can conduct a background check the same as a dealer

NRS 202.254  Private person authorized to obtain background check on person who wishes to obtain firearm from him; fee.

1.  A private person who wishes to transfer a firearm to another person may, before he transfers the firearm, request that the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History perform a background check on the person who wishes to acquire the firearm.

2.  The person who requests the information pursuant to subsection 1 shall provide the Central Repository with identifying information about the person who wishes to acquire the firearm.

3.  Upon receiving a request from a private person pursuant to subsection 1 and the identifying information required pursuant to subsection 2, the Central Repository shall within 5 business days after receiving the request:

(a) Perform a background check on the person who wishes to acquire the firearm; and

(b) Notify the person who requests the information whether the information available to the Central Repository indicates that the receipt of a firearm by the person who wishes to acquire the firearm would violate a state or federal law.

4.  If the person who requests the information does not receive notification from the Central Repository regarding his request within 5 business days after making the request, he may presume that the receipt of a firearm by the person who wishes to acquire the firearm would not violate a state or federal law.

5.  The Central Repository may charge a reasonable fee for performing a background check and notifying a person of the results of the background check pursuant to this section.

6.  The failure of a person to request the Central Repository to perform a background check pursuant to this section before transferring a firearm to another person does not give rise to any civil cause of action.

(Added to NRS by 1997, 825)

1-800-4-pistol nv. pos
Nv point of sale (pos) may also be able to tell them if the transfers legal
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Good find on the NRS.....

BTW, the shortest time it has taken me was 3 weeks to get a print set from the repository. I couldn't imagine a background check!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Good deal on researching the legality of being able to do this guys.  However, I still need to know if any of you all know of a dealer up there in the Reno area that has any of these things in stock.  Need to know asap...  it doesn't have to be stripped (its easy to fix it up if I decide to bring it back with me later this year to Cali), but I prefer it just because I can build it up myself cheaper I'm sure.  Hell if gets added to the banned list, I'll just register it and take it as is!  Till then though, its Mr Legal for me...

I'm looking at maybe end of this upcoming week/beginning of the following... haven't heard for sure when they're wanting me there yet.  Appreciate any help, thanks!

Technowizard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top