Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:19:47 AM EDT
Is there an online resource to check a firearm's serial number to see if it is stolen?

Got a potentially fanastic deal, almost too good to be true, just wanna know if it's legit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Only thing I could find was from Florida, but I wouldn't count on it being accurate or up-to-date.

Caveat Emptor
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I understand (or at least the way it was back in Wisconsin), all you need to do is call up local law enforcement (e.g. the Douglas Co. Sheriff) and tell them exactly what you just posted:

"I have the opportunity to buy a firearm within the state (i.e. it doesn't have to go through an FFL), and I want to make sure the S/N is clear, its not a stolen gun, and the deal is otherwise legally legit."

I wouldn't mention that its a deal too good to be true, and you shouldn't have to give your name, or the seller's.

From what I remember, the LEO was just so happy people were stopping to check and make sure they weren't dealing in contraband, that they were happy to offer this service over the phone, no questions asked.

Hope its the same here in NV

~GryphonX
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, the Florida thing is a joke.  I just entered a serial number of a pistol that was stolen from me a few years ago.  I know it was entered into the system.   They got no hit on the number.....

Here in NV, on a private pistol sale just ask to see a current blue card.  If this is a long gun, then I don't know what you can do besides calling the PD.

Lem

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here in NV Clark County, on a private pistol sale just ask to see a current blue card.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.

I meant to say Clark County - just too tired today I guess.

Lem

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
the cover your ass route would be to transfer it through an FFL if you were worried, although that would eat into the good deal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Or have the deal done at the police station.......

A lil' guarantee for both of you, since Clark County residents have to register it anyways (handgun).

As for a rifle, it would still work too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A lil' guarantee for both of you, since Clark County residents have to register it anyways (handgun).

Whoa! Good idea, especially since you have to register it anyway. Good call for anyone who lives in Clark County.

Except for the fact that we don't have to register anything up here in the North, that may STILL be a good way for Gunmonkey to get the deal done in the least risky way while avoiding the FFL fee.

Unless parties involved are paranoid about the JBTs overseeing the whole transaction which shouldn't concern them at all (overall, probably NOT a bad paranoia to nurture).
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+ 1

I also agree with RDP,

I always suggest that anyone who is purchasing or selling a handgun in Clark County, to conduct the transaction at a LVMPD substation. By doing this it protects the buyer/seller and it squares everything away as far as the legal issues go.

If anything turns up not to be legit, both buyer and seller will be off the hook (providing that they were both legitimate from the get-go). Plus, it's free.

Pretty cheap indemnity if you ask me.

Just the ol' two pennies worth.....

Joe
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Can't do the transaction at the LEOs because firearms, pocket knives, chemical sprays and pointy sticks are specifically verboten in the Sheriff's office/Court complex.
I'll ask an LEO friend locally what his reccomendation is, if it isn't too late.
Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can't do the transaction at the LEOs because firearms, pocket knives, chemical sprays and pointy sticks are specifically verboten in the Sheriff's office/Court complex.

.......ain't that just like them????    

A. Do "this" unless prohibited by law....
   B. "This" is prohibited by law.   Getcha coming and going.....

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'll ask an LEO friend locally what his reccomendation is, if it isn't too late.
Thanks for the responses.

In Clark County, the seller and buyer can both go into the Police station and place the handgun in a bank type teller box mounted in the wall in the lobby. The person behind the counter will then retrieve the gun from the box and ask the parties to wait until the gun and the new buyer is run.

Once that is done and evrything comes back clean the deal can be closed INSIDE the Police station. Safe, secure and free of charge. Once the gun(s) are registered the seller is off the hook and both buyer and seller are abiding by the law.

I know some will argue that handgun registration in Clark County sucks, and I don't agree with the law either.... but the law is the law and if your handgun(s) are not registered they will be taken away and you could be cited. Plus, if your guns(s) are not registered you will not get a CCW in Clark County.

GM is correct about not being able to bring other weapons into the station. Only the gun(s) being registered are allowed to be brought in. All other weapons must be left in the vehicle outside the station.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have a LEO friend, it is very simple to run a check....

The registration law here and the Nazi one in Boulder City, are both reasons why the state removed the individual city/county from restricting the good people's right to possess a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The registration law here and the Nazi one in Boulder City, are both reasons why the state removed the individual city/county from restricting the good people's right to possess a firearm.

We need a state preemption law
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We need a state preemption law

We DO have a preemption law at the state level, the problem is that Clark's draconian Blue Card system predates it.
The greatest threat, as I see it, is when the liberal gun haters get ahold of the state legislature and completely Kalifornicate us.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The problem that I have heard with having a LEO friend running a gun is that if the gun comes up dirty he/she (the officer) has to confiscate the gun; detain the parties involved and get statements.... (could get dicey).

If a gun comes up dirty at a LVMPD substation the party selling the gun tells his/her story describing how they came into possession of said gun and if everything is legit with the parties involved in the transaction they are released quickly after giving a simple statement at the station.

I know the above is true because one of my students had a LEO friend run a gun that a former roommate gave her as compensation for rent and the gun turned up hot. Needless to say that "Lucy had some splainin' to do." Thus, a hassle for the LEO friend and the person trying to do the right thing.

Another student of mine had a similar situation happen at a substation and he was out within a few minutes.

Also, unless something has changed, to the best of my knowledge Boulder City doesn't have a gun registration law. Any LEO's wanna comment about any of this?

Just my two pennies worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top