Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2005 11:12:19 AM EDT
I received this e-mail today from John Cahill of The Nevada Outdoor Democratic Caucus:

Lt. Paul Howell, Douglas Co. SD and Chair of the NCSA CCW Sub-Committee,
called us today and said that NCSA Chair Sheriff Pierini had been successful
in getting a copy of the ATFE audit report while in Washington D.C., thanks
to the assistance of Senator Reid's office to cut through some red tape.  

Based on that info and positive interest from Nevada Sheriffs, a meeting
will be held not later than Tuesday 1 November 2005 and the NCSA will make
the decision about requesting the NV DPS apply for an extension from ATFE.
The extension will allow time for changes to bring NV Counties into
compliance and will allow Nevada continue the Brady waiver for CCW permit
holders. As a matter of protocol, Lt. Howell could not say absolutely what
the Sheriff's decision would be in requesting the DPS action, but he did say
that the Sheriffs were very much on the side of NV Sportsmen.  

Based on the strong statement of the Sheriff's support for CCW holders, I
believe it is reasonable to anticipate the Sheriffs will make the request of
DPS to ask for the extension, but like Lt. Howell I don't want to predict
the future.  The final news of the Sheriff's decision will be too late to be
included in your Nevada Day celebrations, but if that extension is requested
and approved, NV CCW holders should have their Brady waiver privilege
returned well before the holiday buying season.  

I encouraged Lt. Howell to make the request now to allow us to work with the
ATFE if necessary.  We may have to remind ATFE, through our Federal
representatives, that mistakes can and will be fixed through the NCSA, and
remind them Nevada had only errors in procedure, there has never been an
incident of an improper or illegal firearms purchase made by any NV CCW
Permit holder.  

I urge everyone to share widely the information that the actions of  the
NRA, NSPRA, NODC, local sportsmen, gun owners, and retailers has resulted in
all working together with the NV DPS and the NCSA to fix the problem.
Critical this mix was the intervention of lawmakers Senator John Lee, and
Assemblywoman Sharron Angle, and Senator Reid.  The well read Sunday LVRJ
column of Vin Suprynowicz brought important attention to the NV CCW Brady
issue and the process that let this problem slip under the radar of the very
people most affected.  

I suggest everyone be optimistic and make a positive contact to thank their
Sheriff in advance for their action on behalf of NV CCW holders.  Focus on
what is needed right now, don't spend time discussing how the problem
happened or how it might have been better handled, just call or send an
email to ask your County Sheriff to make the request of DPS to get the AFTE
extension and restore the Brady waive for NV CCW permit holders.  Do it now.

JJCahill
www.nodc.us  

(Note: Lt. Howell made the NCSA call to us because Frank Adams was
hospitalized this morning.  He was critical but is showing good progress.
Let's keep Frank in our prayers for a quick recovery.)

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for that bit of info JimMayhugh....we appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Like all things political, it ain't over 'til the Fat Lady Sings, but seems a promising development anyway. And speaking for most, thanks, Jim; for the update. Gonna say a prayer for Frank, also......(and keep my fingers crossed)
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So when the CCW holders get everything back to the way it used to be will you go right back to not caring that the non CCW holders are still being charge a $25 tax for a background check that should be free.

Wrong is wrong, even when you are not directly effected by it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Jim,

I'll call Bill Young's office today and then pass this encouraging info along.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
BigBang...your right we shouldnt have to pay all that shit, ...but you got to understand a CCW holder pays alot of money for background checks to begin with...Federal,State,County and City background checks.....I think we deserve to get cut a little slack...if it bothers you get your CCW.
And hopefully we wont have to pay the extra fees.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BigBang...your right we shouldnt have to pay all that shit, ...but you got to understand a CCW holder pays alot of money for background checks to begin with...Federal,State,County and City background checks.....I think we deserve to get cut a little slack...if it bothers you get your CCW.

+1

Well put....
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Jim,
Looking forward to the CCW class on the 5th.
-Mike
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

There is the apathy I'm used to seeing , glad to see you guys are back to thinking like ya used to. If it doesn't apply to you who cares
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There is the apathy I'm used to seeing , glad to see you guys are back to thinking like ya used to. If it doesn't apply to you who cares

Yes, if you don't care enough to get your CCW, we don't care either...

~Dan
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not apathy BB. And it does apply to all of us as gun owners in Nevada. I don't purchase a lot of guns so it doesn't affect me either way. On the other hand, there are a lot of small dealers that work on very small profit margins and the additional $25.00 fee cuts into the budget that is used to feed their families.... And that sucks.

OT did agree with you on the fact that paying the BG fees are BS, but to legally carry a handgun concealed in Nevada one must first obtain a CCW permit. Nevada CCW permit holders were, and SHOULD be exempt from the Background Check and fee, because they have to pay up front costs required to apply for a CCW permit in the first place.

Perhaps paying for a CCW course and then paying $105.00 for filing the application is a little extreme for most, but it sure beats a Category-C felony - and if things work out with the help of the gun community and our elected officials, we will be exempt from the BG check and fee once again. The BG and BGC fee exemptions are just little perks that come with CCW territory.

Perhaps you should give it a second thought and step to the plate and obtain a CCW. That way you will stay out of jail and have a few more dollars in your pocket whenever you purchase a gun from a dealer....

ETA: We can all thank the Clintons and their anti-gun cronies for the Brady BGC. If it wasn't for those poor excuses for Americans, this thread would be nonexistent and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So when the CCW holders get everything back to the way it used to be will you go right back to not caring that the non CCW holders are still being charge a $25 tax for a background check that should be free.

So what exactly have you done about this situation, besides bitch?

I think it's interesting that the majority of the people that say "something should be done" really mean "something should be done by someone else."
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's interesting that the majority of the people that say "something should be done" really mean "something should be done by someone else."

When the fee was going to change from $15 to $25 I wrote letters to the Governer, the Nevada department of Public Safety, and my state Senators and Assemblymen. Did I miss anyone I should have contacted?

And speaking of bitching, isn't that exactly what you and the other CCW folks are doing?

Pot meet Kettle
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When the fee was going to change from $15 to $25 I wrote letters to the Governer, the Nevada department of Public Safety, and my state Senators and Assemblymen. Did I miss anyone I should have contacted?

And speaking of bitching, isn't that exactly what you and the other CCW folks are doing?

Pot meet Kettle

I think that if you read my posts, you'll notice that I'm simply providing facts and information. I haven't given an opinion one way or the other (but just FYI, I do think that the fee is excessive and unnecessary).

So your effort expended was to write a few letters, and spend a couple of bucks or so. Impressive.

Whoops, no wait, that was when the fee increased. So your effort on this item was zero, right? After all it's not your ox that's getting gored, right?? What's the definition of apathy, again??
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Pot meet Kettle

Hey BigBang,

Quitchabitchin' and get a Friggin' CCW for goodness sakes.

Sheesh.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure what you are looking for me to do? Storm the State Capitol ?

I thought hey, maybe this happening with the CCW holders will turn out to be a good thing because it would make people that previously could care less what the state was charging for a background check have to examine that policy. And if you look at Oldtroops thread that started to happen. Now you post this and the CCW holders see a possibility that things will go back to the way they were and the CCW holders go back to thier old ways " Fuck em , Let them get a CCW, doesn't matter to me "

We are on the same side here, I think the CCW rules should go back to what they used to be. I just think that because you have a CCW and are exempt from the $25 fee, that the attitude should not be who cares about the state collecting this fee. IMHO
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pot meet Kettle

Hey BigBang,

Sheesh.....

and line your pockets? I don't think so

Be Safe

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not sure what you are looking for me to do? Storm the State Capitol ?

Well, it's a start .

Over the years, I have appeared before the Judiciary committees of both the Nevada Senate and Assembly  concerning various gun bills (not just CCW, BTW),  I've run web sites, provided "e-mail your representative" servers, gotten petitions signed, and generally annoyed the powers-that-be, all on my own dime. I am a life member of most of the gun-rights groups, and do what volunteer work I can for the Boulder Range. I have also provided free CCW training for battered women when it was obvious that a TPO was not going to protect them.

Sometime things just rub me the wrong way, and I get a little sarcastic.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the update Jim.

I am still trying to find any authority that BATF has with respect to CCW.  It looks like the state certifies the CCW and the federal government is to accept that.  I have been looking in the regs they have posted, the federal register, and state law and I can find NO reference to "periodic background checks" anywhere.

Is this an unwritten law or regulation someplace?
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome to the real world of gun laws. We are lucky to have pulled so many rabbits from asses in the past few years. Look for a steady decline backwards in the coming years, as Clark County gains more control of the legislature and we are soon Californicated.
This was just one step in that direction, and we'll be lucky if it is reversed.
Notice they said petition the DPS. Petition anybody for anything and see what you get. Maybe nothing.,
Getting your CCW would legitimize your complaints about the CCW system. Getting more people into the hobby will gain us valuable votes. Do whatever you have to. If the issue is big enough, you make it happen. Raise a stink. Alert the media.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pot meet Kettle

Hey BigBang,

Sheesh.....

Be Safe

Dude,

YOU couldn't line my pockets if you were a seamstress....
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Could I line your pockets, sweetheart?

I promise I'll be gently because this is your first time, but I will eventually have to 'ramp up' the 'intensity' of the pocket-lining act because while I'm a gentle and loving partner, I do sort of like to get at least a little enjoyment out of the effort I'm putting in.

Or am I the only one in this relationship?

God, you're just like your mother.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 2:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I promise I'll be gently because this is your first time, but I will eventually have to 'ramp up' the 'intensity' of the pocket-lining act because while I'm a gentle and loving partner, I do sort of like to get at least a little enjoyment out of the effort I'm putting in.

Let me tell you something Motherfucker, if you ever reference my Mother in one of your idiotic posts again you will not like me.

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me tell you something Motherfucker, if you ever reference my Mother in one of your idiotic posts again you will not like me.

OH Mean Steve...............your not gonna like him................Sweetheart

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pot meet Kettle

Hey BigBang,

Sheesh.....

Be Safe

Dude,

YOU couldn't line my pockets if you were a seamstress....

Ok , guys let's not say something you might later regret.

Edited to add:  Too late!  
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Back on Topic:

Here's the Sheriff list for contact to support asking for an extension and
returning our Brady waiver.  It is expected the decision will be complete by
Tuesday, 1 Nov. so do this now.  Don't forget the Nevada Day holiday
weekend.  

Call or email with a simple message - "Please support sportsmen and gun
owners by asking DPS to get an extension from ATFE now".  Put something like
that in the subject line and the body, keep it brief and positive, sign with
full address and phone number.  

Send this list to everyone who may be interested.  Let's contact EVERY
Sheriff.    

Thanks JJCahill  www.NODC.us

Carson City Sheriff's Department
Sheriff Kenneth Furlong
901 East Musser Street
Carson City, Nevada 89701
Phone: (775)887-2020 ext 1703
Fax: (775)887-2026
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>  

Churchill County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Richard Ingram
73 1/2 N Maine St
Fallon, Nevada 89406
(775)423-3116

Clark County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Bill Young
400 E Stewart Ave
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
(702)455-1892

Douglas County Sheriff's Department
Sheriff Ron Pierini
1625 8th St
Minden, Nevada 89423
(775)782-9900

Elko County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Neil Harris
775 W Silver St
Elko, Nevada 89801
(775)738-3421

Esmeralda County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Kenneth Elgan
PO Box 520
Goldfield, Nevada 89013
(775)485-6373

Eureka County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff
411 N Main St
Eureka, Nevada 89316
(775)237-5330

Humboldt County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Gary Philp
25 W Fifth St
Winnemucca, Nevada 89445
(775)623-6419
http://www.co.humboldt.ca.us/sheriff/contentTemplate.asp?url=contact.asp
<http://www.co.humboldt.ca.us/sheriff/contentTemplate.asp?url=contact.asp>  

Lander County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Ron Unger
25 E 2nd St
Battle Mountain, Nevada 89820
(775)635-5161

Lincoln County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Dahl Bradfield
1 Main St
Pioche, Nevada 89043
(775)962-5151

Lyon County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Sid Smith
30 Nevin Way
Yerington, Nevada 89447
(775)463-6600

Mineral County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Fred J. Trdla
105 South A St
Hawthorne, Nevada 89415
(775)945-2434

Nye County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Anthony L DeMeo
101 Radar Rd
Tonopah, Nevada 89049
(775)482-8101

Pershing County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Ron Skinner
395 9th St
Lovelock, Nevada 89419
(775)273-2641

Storey County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff
26 S B St
Virginia City, Nevada 89440
(775)847-0959

Washoe County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Dennis Balaam
911 Parr Blvd
Reno, Nevada 89512
(775)328-3001

White Pine County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff Bernie Romero
1785 Great Basin Blvd
P O Box 151870
Ely, Nevada 89301
Phone:(775)289-8808
Fax:(775)289-1468

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Jim, Ive emailed everyone on the list that had an email address...I'll go to the websites of the others and do the same.

LT
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is the letter I sent to the Sheriff's on the list. I just changed the name, address, and county in each email.

Please feel free to use the letter as a guidline when writing the Sheriffs.

LINE OF FIRE, LLC
Professional Firearms Training Group
3850 East Flamingo Road, #154 (mail only)
Las Vegas, Nevada 89121
(702) 242-8288      www.lineoffirellc.com

Carson City Sheriff's Department
Sheriff Kenneth Furlong
901 East Musser Street
Carson City, Nevada 89701

Dear Sheriff Furlong,

On Sunday, October 23, 2005, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) made a decision to reinstate the Brady Background Check guidelines for Nevada CCW permit holders. For several years Nevada CCW permit holders were exempt from the costly, prolonged, and often inconvenient background Brady background check.

Under last Sunday's decision by the BATFE, Nevada CCW permit holders must once again endure the Brady background process when purchasing firearms from a licensed dealer, and they must also pay a $25.00 fee for each transaction.

Below is a letter from the BATFE referencing the change, and below that is a letter from John Cahill of the Nevada Outdoor Democratic Caucus (NODC).

It is my understanding that you are a strong supporter of the Nevada firearms community, that is why I urge you to encourage Nevada DPS to file for an extension with BATFE to temporarily restore the original Brady exemption, which in turn will waive the associated fees and background checks for Nevada CCW permit holders.

If the extension is granted, DPS will have additional time to come into compliance with BATFE guidelines, and a permanent exemption can once again be put into place.

I thank you in advance for your attention to this important issue to the firearms community in Nevada.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any further input regarding this matter.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely yours,

Joseph Nizzari
Training Director,
Line of Fire, LLC

LETTER FROM BATFE:

October 13, 2005

Dear Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer:

This is to advise you that the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has informed the state of Nevada that the Nevada Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit no longer qualifies as an alternative to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) per 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3) and 27 C.F.R § 478.102(d)(1).

Beginning October 23, 2005, all firearms transferred to a CCW permit holder are subject to a NICS check, prior to the actual transfer, in the same manner non-permit holders. This includes all CCW permits regardless of their date of issuance or their expiration date.

The Point-of-Sale Firearms Program (POS), serves as Nevada's Point-of-Contact to the NICS for all firearm background checks. Should you have any questions pertaining to the background check process,
please contact the POS Program at 1-800 474-7865 or 775 687-6200. If you have any questions with regards to the federal requirements, please contact Your local ATF. office. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Major B. Wideman
Records and Technology
CJIS System Officer

LETTER FROM NEVADA OUTDOOR DEMOCRATIC CAUCUS:

Lt. Paul Howell, Douglas Co. SD and Chair of the NCSA CCW Sub-Committee, called us today and said that NCSA Chair Sheriff Pierini had been successful in getting a copy of the ATFE audit report while in Washington D.C., thanks to the assistance of Senator Reid's office to cut through some red tape.

Based on that info and positive interest from Nevada Sheriffs, a meeting will be held not later than Tuesday 1 November 2005 and the NCSA will make the decision about requesting the NV DPS apply for an extension from ATFE.

The extension will allow time for changes to bring NV Counties into compliance and will allow Nevada continue the Brady waiver for CCW permit holders.

As a matter of protocol, Lt. Howell could not say absolutely what the Sheriff's decision would be in requesting the DPS action, but he did say that the Sheriffs were very much on the side of NV Sportsmen.

Based on the strong statement of the Sheriff's support for CCW holders, I believe it is reasonable to anticipate the Sheriffs will make the request of DPS to ask for the extension, but like Lt. Howell I don't want to predict the future.

The final news of the Sheriff's decision will be too late to be included in your Nevada Day celebrations, but if that extension is requested and approved, NV CCW holders should have their Brady waiver privilege returned well before the holiday buying season.

I encouraged Lt. Howell to make the request now to allow us to work with the ATFE if necessary. We may have to remind ATFE, through our Federal representatives, that mistakes can and will be fixed through the NCSA, and remind them Nevada had only errors in procedure, there has never been an incident of an improper or illegal firearms purchase made by any NV CCW Permit holder.

I urge everyone to share widely the information that the actions of the NRA, NSPRA, NODC, local sportsmen, gun owners, and retailers has resulted in all working together with the NV DPS and the NCSA to fix the problem.

Critical this mix was the intervention of lawmakers Senator John Lee, and Assemblywoman Sharron Angle, and Senator Reid. The well read Sunday LVRJ column of Vin Suprynowicz brought important attention to the NV CCW Brady issue and the process that let this problem slip under the radar of the very people most affected.

I suggest everyone be optimistic and make a positive contact to thank their Sheriff in advance for their action on behalf of NV CCW holders.

Focus on what is needed right now, don't spend time discussing how the problem happened or how it might have been better handled, just call or send an email to ask your County Sheriff to make the request of DPS to get the AFTE extension and restore the Brady waive for NV CCW permit holders. Do it now.

JJCahill
www.nodc.us

(Note: Lt. Howell made the NCSA call to us because Frank Adams was hospitalized this morning. He was critical but is showing good progress. Let's keep Frank in our prayers for a quick recovery.)

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I received this e-mail today from John Cahill of www.nodc.us]The Nevada Outdoor Democratic Caucus

That is encouraging news.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Jim the email address links is paying off already. Ive heard back from the sherriff of Pershing County....its in a thread above this one. Everyone needs to use your list and email these guys...it took me about 10 minutes of my time to email them all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
here's another reply from one of our senators.

"Thanks for the note.  I have just been made aware of this change this week.  I thought Nevada had produced a fairly simple process.  Leave it to the FEDS to screw it up.

Mike McGinness
Nevada Senate"
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#32]
More from John Cahill

The press release issued by the NCSA today was sent to us email by Lt. Paul Howell and Frank Adams of the NCSA.  It is copied below and attached.

Major Wideman has stated DPS would request the extension on instruction of the NCSA, and the ATFE is on record saying the extension will be approved when requested.  But we must still wait for the official word that our CCW Brady waiver is restored, and you may find that out first at your local gun shop when they get the letter from DPS.  If I have more info to share I will send it on to you.  

Let's thank the elected Nevada representatives who expressed interest and support in this matter.   I received contacts from Speaker Richard Perkins, Minority Leader Senator Dina Titus, Senator John Lee, Assemblywoman Sharron Angle and Commissioner Tom Collins.  Senator Lee was key for my first contact with DPS Director Togliatti.  We owe the greatest thanks to the Sheriffs who took action on our behalf to correct the problem and now must put in place procedures that will assure it does not happen again.  Give your Sheriff a call or email and say thanks.  

I had many contacts and emails from NRA Nevada Liaison Carrie Herbertson and NRA Lobbyist Jason Osborne.  For those of us working at the state level on sportsman's issues the NRA is often the loaded shotgun in the corner. Everybody knows it's there, and nobody wants to have to use it.  The NRA's formidable 30,000 members in Nevada and sharply honed political alert system are there if needed, but never flaunted or used casually.  We could not be as effective at the state level without the NRA presence and involvement.

Thanks to every one of you who took positive action to contact your Sheriff and ask for his support.  You proved again that grassroots action still works in Nevada.  

JJCahill

www.NODC.us <http://www.nodc.us/>  

PRESS RELEASE November 7, 2005

In September 2005 the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association was notified by the Nevada Department of Public Safety that a survey conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) found Nevada's concealed weapon (CCW) procedures were deficient in certain areas As a result Nevada concealed weapon permits would no longer be eligible for a NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) exemption when the permit holder purchased a firearm.

Based on the information provided by the state it was determined by the NSCA that the deficiencies could not be corrected and the NSCA voted not to seek an extension to remedy the audit concerns.

In subsequent direct contact the NSCA had with the BATFE it was learned that the information provided by the State of Nevada DPS was inaccurate. NSCA President and Douglas County Sheriff Ron Pierini obtained the survey results and re-polled the Nevada Sheriff's in regard to seeking an extension from
the BATFE. The voting was completed today and in a unanimous decision the Nevada Sheriff's voted to seek an extension from the BATFE.

Today the NSCA contacted the Nevada Department of Public Safety to request they seek an extension from the BATFE. Any questions should be directed to Sheriff Ron Pierini at 775-782-9900 or Frank Adams, NSCA Executive Director at 866-266-9870

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for all your hard work and the updates Jim. It looks like we might finally win one for a change.

Joe

ETA: I emailed all the sheriffs on the list that had valid email addresses. I did receive a very positive response from Sheriff Gene A. Hill of Humboldt County. I will make the time to either call or email all the sheriffs to thank them for their support.

Also, my personal thanks to everyone who took the time to write or call the sheriffs and their elected officials, for if it weren't for us rank and file gun supporters we might have lost this one.

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#34]
The credit goes to John Cahill. He was the main force behind this drive.

GOOD JOB, JOHN!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Gettin' some press too!
Review Journal article
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Outstanding news.   After the extension expires, hopefully they will at least keep track of ccw holder background checks and only charge one per year if they can't get rid of it outright.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#37]
WE ROCK..er... JOHN ROCKS...YOU GUYS ROCK!!

Oh what the hell....WE ROCK!

"G"
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Heressssss Johnny!!!

Thanks John!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]

+1
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Any updates on the status of the extension request?  Got a 1911 incoming next week.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Buying a new gun this week.  That added fee sure does damper an otherwise happy occasion.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Bump.

Anyone know if this has been rescinded?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Bump.

Anyone know if this has been rescinded?

+2
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#44]
As near as I can tell we are stuck with it until (and IF) ATF does another audit.  The state is loving the extra money.  WE need to change some "public servants".
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#45]

DAMN!!!!Out of the frying pan, into the fire.......it's never easy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I am not sure where I read it, but I recall reading something to the effect of a temporary restoration being granted by the middle of January.

That temporary restoration would be in force until Nevada comes into full compliance, at which time a permanent restoration would be put into place.

Perhaps someone else who has more intel on this than me can give a more accurate update.

Hope this helps.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Nothing new really, but an update from H. Reid      

December 13, 2005

Dear Mr. ___:

Thank you for contacting me regarding background checks for Nevada
permits to carry concealed weapons (CCW).  I appreciate hearing from you.

The 1993 Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (P.L. 103-159)
established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), commonly
referred to as the Brady background check.  Federally licensed firearm
dealers conduct background checks on firearm applicants using NICS.
However, the Brady Law contains exceptions to the NICS check, including
an exception for some State permits if they meet certain qualifications.
Nevada has been able to waive the NICS check and accompanying fee for
Nevada CCW permit holders.

As you know, the Department of Justice Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) recently concluded that the State of
Nevada no longer qualified for such an exemption.  As a result, Nevada
now charges a $25 fee to CCW permit holders in order to conduct the NICS
background check.  You may also be interested to know that Nevada law
enforcement officers were never exempt from the NICS check.

I understand your concerns about the changes with this requirement.
Currently, the State of Nevada and the Nevada Chiefs and Sheriffs
Association are working with the BATFE to reinstate the waiver for
Nevada CCW permit holders.  It is my understanding that this situation with
BATFE will be resolved soon so that the waiver will be reinstated.  I am in
contact with officials in Nevada and at the BATFE in order to closely
monitor this situation.  I assure you that I will continue working to
preserve the rights of Nevada gun owners.

Since Nevada administers this process in conjunction with the BATFE, I
also encourage you to share your thoughts with both your county sheriff
and the Nevada Point of Sale Firearms Program at:

Nevada Department of Public Safety
Records and Identification Bureau
808 West Nye Lane
Carson City, NV 89703
775-687-6200
1-800-4PISTOL (474-7865)

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.  
For more information about my work for Nevada, my role in the United States
Senate Leadership, or to subscribe to regular e-mail updates on the
issues that interest you, please visit my Web site at http://reid.senate.gov.  
I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's the latest from John Cahill, dated 8Dec05:

FYI-

I was at the NCSA meeting in Mesquite today and spoke to Frank Adams.  The
Association approved the MOA and 14 Sheriffs in attendance signed the
document.  It is expected the three Sheriffs not in attendance will sign in
the next week and the MOU will be sent to the NV DPS for delivery to the
ATF.  

I was a guest at the joint NCSA and NV DA's lunch when that same report was
made to the DA group by the NCSA.  Several of our elected NV DA's were
following the issue as it was reported on in their morning meeting.  

I believe the MOU will be in the hands of the ATF next week or early the
week of 19 December.  So you may or may not have that waiver restored in
time to pick up those Christmas lay-a-way gifts.  

I will pass on info when I get it, and we may get an alert from the NRA as
soon as the ATF acts on the MOU.  

My thanks to each of you that phoned, emailed, or spoke personally with your
Sheriff.  The gratitude you passed on for their support was appreciated, and
the level of interest in this issue made a definite impression.  

John Cahill
702 767-3761
www.NODC.us  

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks f2 and Jim.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Now, THAT'S encouraging!!!!!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top