Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 4:14:15 PM EDT
My wife has an eye dominace problem when she shoots.  She is righthanded and shoots right handed but she always tends to try and use her left eye for aiming?  Other than punching her in the left eye, how do I go about breaking her of this or train around this problem?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I talked to a guy  who shoots competative rife matches about being right handed but left eye dominant. I too grew up with this problem as did he. The old school way was to retrain the eye, by using a patch or just alot of practice. He too did the same thing. When he went to classes to further better his competetive shooting, he was informed and retaught to retrain your hands as opposed to the eyes. He now shoots left handed and left eye dominant. He claims it has improved his shooting substantualy also. Truth or hog wash? I dont know. I now shoot right handed and right eye dominant, but it took some serious concentration and alot of practice to break the instinct to use my left eye.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The best way is to practice while dry firing, then some range time.  I am right handed and left eye dominant.  I have practiced and trained so now I shoot the pistol with both eyes open, using my left eye to sight in.  I still shoot the rifle right handed with zero problems.  I still find myself closing my right eye now and then, but it varies.

Get some snap caps and dry fire away.  One of these days I'm going to get my wife to the range to shoot my SIG.  She's already shot some 00 buck from the hip with my 870P, and with the SIG can rack the slide and chamber a round.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice.  I think I will try the eye patch thing.  She is getting better about it lately though.  The first time I caught her doing it, she was shooting my 590 and I noticed she had her neck bent over the stock in a way so that she could aim with her left eye.  Looked very uncomfortable..
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Animus, this is Eric. I have the same cross dominance problem as your wife does. I learned to compensate by slightly turning my head to where my left eye focuses on the front sight and all that. Maybe have the wifey try that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top