Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 3:11:33 PM EDT
What does it take to purchase a  AR-15 colt lower receiver here? I went to the gun shop the other day and this guy was asking me all kinds of questions! or was he just giving me a hard time! of course it could be that i still look to young?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm..What questions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What does it take to purchase a  AR-15 colt lower receiver here? I went to the gun shop the other day and this guy was asking me all kinds of questions! or was he just giving me a hard time! of course it could be that i still look to young?

1. Walk in store
2. Pick out lower
3. Show proper ID
4. Fill out paperwork
5. Pass background check (no BG check required if you possess a valid Nevada CCW permit)
6. Pay for lower
7. Leave store with lower

I don't know how its done where y'all come from, but that's hows we dooze it in these parts.

Hope this helps.

Joe
OUT

PS: Oh yea, it also depends on what shop you stumbled into. Some guys behind the counter in this town are just full of themselves and they can be real dickheads.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
proper I.D./residence and B.G. check(if not CCW) and your GTG,theres one place in Reno I will not do business with on any level and He's a well known arse.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't you live in Cali??

You aren't going to find a Nevada dealer anywhere that will sell anything (especially an AR) to someone with a California DL.  Believe me, I know.  I was in Vegas a few months back and a shop wouldn't even sell me mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't you live in Cali??

You aren't going to find a Nevada dealer anywhere that will sell anything (especially an AR) to someone with a California DL.  Believe me, I know.  I was in Vegas a few months back and a shop wouldn't even sell me mags.

I kinda just assume that members from "USA" are from the PRK
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Try telling the guys at what was Galyan's you are a cali resident and want to buy a gun. My friend did it and the manager was running around with his hands over his head screaming "Red flag, red flag"!!!!! You would have thought his ass was on fire. My buddy did get the gun though, he is technically a Cali resident but has been stationed here for 16 years, with a NV DL, NV CCW, a house here......

Yeah I am originally from CA and the first gun shop I found when I first got stationed here was the Gun Store on Trop.  They wouldn't sell me shit even when I showed them my orders saying that I am stationed here.  They are the only shop in town that I found that screws the military guys like that.  Even WalMart will sell me a gun as long as I show a copy of my orders.  But now I have a NV DL and CCW so I don't worry about any of that crap anymore.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#8]
They wern't screwing anybody. They were only following the new guidelines sent down from the ATF. Most of the other shops are not in compliance, and I am sure that they will hear about it durning their next audit. As far as Kali resdents they come in the store every day and try to buy Hi Caps. When they check ID they piss and moan but the store is just CYA. When a shaved head, baggy pants. gang banger with Ca plates on his car wants to buy a Hi Cap mag you can bet your butt that mag is not going to Kansas
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Those rotten cock-smokers at The Gun Store strike again! Haven't you figured it out by now Tony? Every 18 year old armchair commando with an AR15 lurking here has already forgotten more than YOU'LL ever know! I just love these posts...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Those rotten cock-smokers at The Gun Store strike again! Haven't you figured it out by now Tony? Every 18 year old armchair commando with an AR15 lurking here has already forgotten more than YOU'LL ever know! I just love these posts...

Yo V-SMG.....

The guys at the Gun Store might not please everybody, but Tony knows what he is talking about.

Don't take Tony's low post count as a sign of ignorance. He leaked out more knowledge during his last trip to the latrine than YOU'LL ever know.

When a guy like Tony takes the time to answer a post and a guy like you makes such a pinhead statement, you should check yourself (and throughly) before you put your ass in your mouth.

You need to have more respect in this forum, Dude.

Joe
OUT
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Joe,
Please go back and re-read my post... very slowly this time while using tongue-in-cheek comprehension. I think Sir, that YOU may have put YOUR ass in YOUR mouth and I feel an apology is due me along with deleting your comments. My wife and I proudly consider Tony and his lovely wife Jane as friends. In fact, they were honored guests at out nuptials. We last saw them at the subgun match on Sunday the 11th where my wife assisted Jane with the score keeping, and Tony re-set a special last stage just for me. ( THANKS BUDDY!) The photos posted of Tony and the rest of the shooters that day were taken by me and Tony requested that I post them here. I urge you to re-read my above post Sir. I was in fact defending Mr. Dee and The Gun Store unlike so many others here that only seem to find fault in everything they do. I am pleased to finally see someone else besides me step up and defend this great man. Oh yeah, one more thing. Here's the link to the article Tony and I co-authored for the July issue of Small Arms Review.  
www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/Uzitalk.pdf   (edited to make the article link hot)

Regards, Tom Wright (AKA Vegas SMG)
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Joe,
Please go back and re-read my post... very slowly this time while using tongue-in-cheek comprehension. I think Sir, that YOU may have put YOUR ass in YOUR mouth and I feel an apology is due me along with deleting your comments. My wife and I proudly consider Tony and his lovely wife Jane as friends. In fact, they were honored guests at out nuptials. We last saw them at the subgun match on Sunday the 11th where my wife assisted Jane with the score keeping, and Tony re-set a special last stage just for me. ( THANKS BUDDY!) The photos posted of Tony and the rest of the shooters that day were taken by me and Tony requested that I post them here. I urge you to re-read my above post Sir. I was in fact defending Mr. Dee and The Gun Store unlike so many others here that only seem to find fault in everything they do. I am pleased to finally see someone else besides me step up and defend this great man. Oh yeah, one more thing. Here's the link to the article Tony and I co-authored for the July issue of Small Arms Review.  http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/Uzitalk.pdf

Regards, Tom Wright (AKA Vegas SMG)

No offense Tom,

But please know this: I will never retract nor apologize for a statement that defends a good person such as Tony, or any other decent person for that matter.

I gave up reading minds when my crystal ball broke about 16 years ago, so there was no way that I could have known what your relationship was with Tony and Jane.

Your post could have been taken two ways:

1. Tongue-in-cheek as you suggested (and I took it that way when I first read the post)

2. The actual way the post read

The tongue and cheek interpretation would have been a chuckle had I known of your closeness with Tony, and the actual way your post reads to the average person reading it leaves little to the imagination.

I guess I lost the true meaning of your "tongue-in-cheek" interpretation after the "cock-smokers" statement.

I don't have a problem if you don't.

Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#13]
This is fast becoming a purse fight...  I don't own one so I'm done after this post.

Quoted:

The guys at the Gun Store might not please everybody, but Tony knows what he is talking about.

Right on the money even though they typically please me! No argument from me at all.

Don't take Tony's low post count as a sign of ignorance. He leaked out more knowledge during his last trip to the latrine than YOU'LL ever know.

In Tony's case I didn't take his post count into consideration at all, but I don't consider a high post count to automatically bestow a voice of reason, rational, or wisdom to any member on any board. I feel it's far better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. In regards to your 2nd sentence above; do you know me well enough to make that assessment accurately? The answer Sir, is a resounding NO!

When a guy like Tony takes the time to answer a post and a guy like you makes such a pinhead statement, you should check yourself (and throughly) before you put your ass in your mouth.

Again, and using your words, YOU put YOUR ass in YOUR mouth, (and thoroughly), by blindly and ignorantly responding without knowing who I am or what my relationship with Tony may be. If you can't see that, then I ask you Sir, who's the REAL pinhead here? My remarks were directed to Mr. Dee, not you, and I've little doubt he'll see the humor in my post.  

You need to have more respect in this forum, Dude.

Dude, respect is earned, and Tony has my respect. You Sir have lost some measure of the respect I've held for you after your last post. You made an honest mistake and now believe that to apologize to me would somehow not be defending a good person, in this instance, Mr. Dee? I'm confused, and I admit, that your logic has me quite puzzled.  We are judged by our words, deeds, and actions. We all make mistakes, how we clean up the mess afterwards is what matters most.

But please know this: I will never retract nor apologogize for a statement that defends a good person such as Tony, or any other decent person for that matter.

Alright, very noble, but a bit misguided I think. I understand you were defending Tony and I do respect that, but at the expense of slandering and insulting someone you don't even know? Tony and the Gun Store have both been slammed on this board and I can't recall you rushing to their defense like I typically have. I'm sure I've missed those posts of yours, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Joe, you simply mistook friendly banter between friends as an insult to a mutual friend. No more, no less.

Your post could have been taken two ways:
1. Tongue-in-cheek as you suggested (and I took it that way when I first read the post)

OK, good! Then why flame me? You've stated, you took it as it was originally intended on your very first read! Great! I knew your reading comprehension was more than just passable. If you had any doubts, perhaps you should have voiced your concerns directly to me rather than taking an adversarial attitude.

2. The actual way the post read
The tongue and cheek interpretation would have been a chuckle had I known of your closeness with Tony, and the actual way your post reads to the average person reading it leaves little to the imagination.

You know, I see lots of funny and interesting musings here that obviously have an inside attribute that I'm not privy to. Perhaps I don't run in the same circle as some of these guys here, live in the same neighborhoods, work in the same profession, or share the same shooting disciplines. I haven't been to one of the dinners at the 777, (yet), so if the guys that do enjoy themselves and each other's company want to bag on or play jokes on each other, I think that's great.... REALLY! There's nothing like the  comradery among men of a like mind set. My post was no different in that it was directed, by name, to Tony and contained the ROFLMAO animation which I felt was a dead giveaway.

Haven't you figured it out by now Tony? Every 18 year old armchair commando with an AR15 lurking here has already forgotten more than YOU'LL ever know! COME ON JOE! If you know Tony, them you GOT to admit, that's funny stuff, REALLY funny stuff!!I mean an 18 year old armchair commando knowing more than Tony? It wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't so true. PLEASE!!!!!!! How COULD you interpret it as anything else?

I don't have a problem if you don't.

I don't know why you WOULD have a problem.. I didn't come here bad mouthing you. I came here to share a laugh with Tony. Yep, I'm offended and I feel rightfully so. Tony will be the first to tell you I have a very hard time letting things go when I feel I've been wronged. If you can't see that you've plainly and clearly insulted and slandered me, then I'll just have to accept that and move on. Life's much too short to waste on this.

Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

Stay dry,
Tom
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Tom,

I never imagined that my support for Tony would have engendered so much controversy. I also wasn't aware that it would generate the amount of thought, effort, and clarification on your part either.

I will not attempt to analyze every word and sentence in your response as you have with mine, but I will say again: I had no inkling of who you were and what your connection is with Tony and his wife. All I did was comment on what I believed to be a disrespectful response to Tony trying to offer a balanced justification for the conduct of the staff at the Gun Store.

You were joking and I didn't know it. That's all it was.

Stay Dry.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Hay Guys.

Thanks Guys for all the support. I took Tom's statment just as he wrote it and Jane and I had a good laugh. I didn't think it was cause such a stir knowing my releationship with Tom. Thanks Joe for coming to my defense. In Closing I would just like to qoute a personal hero of mine Mr. Rodney King. "Can't we all just get along"
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hay Guys.

Thanks Guys for all the support. I took Tom's statment just as he wrote it and Jane and I had a good laugh. I didn't think it was cause such a stir knowing my releationship with Tom. Thanks Joe for coming to my defense. In Closing I would just like to qoute a personal hero of mine Mr. Rodney King. "Can't we all just get along"

Anytime Tony,

Although I don't see or shoot with you as much as some other people on the board, you know that you are one of the very few people that I truly admire and respect in the local gun community. You have always been a "stand-up" guy, and that is why when I thought someone was disrespecting you I felt I needed to put in my two pennies.

Tom appears to be a very loyal friend of yours and Jane's, and therefore I have no problem getting along with him.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They wern't screwing anybody. They were only following the new guidelines sent down from the ATF. Most of the other shops are not in compliance, and I am sure that they will hear about it durning their next audit. As far as Kali resdents they come in the store every day and try to buy Hi Caps. When they check ID they piss and moan but the store is just CYA. When a shaved head, baggy pants. gang banger with Ca plates on his car wants to buy a Hi Cap mag you can bet your butt that mag is not going to Kansas

Yes I know they have rules to follow.  My point was that even when I showed them that I am a permanent resident due to being stationed here they still wouldn't even let me buy anything.  I don't blame them for not wanting to sell to a gang banger.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I know you weren't refering to me in this post.  I've dug Iraqi sand out of my ass.  Thats not the only tour in the AOR either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Kick his ass, Seabass!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#20]
No offence intended. We only follow the directives sent down from the Owner. After all it is his license on the block and he is VERY precise with sticking to the letter of the law.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#21]
This is something I need to look into then.  We (AD military) have dual resident status while stationed outside our home state.  Now when we go to buy a gun all we are asked by the seller is that they make a copy of our orders that show we are permanent party stationed here.  Not TDY or just being tourists.  I was issued a Nevada resident CCW even though I am technically still a Cali resident.

Nothing personnal against the Gun Store it just really pissed me off at the time so haven't been back there in over 4 years.

Sorry for the thread hijack GNMN, I just thought you might be active duty military stationed so I was trying to shed some light.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Posted by ANIMUS: Sorry for the thread hijack GNMN, I just thought you might be active duty military stationed so I was trying to shed some light.

Not a problem ANIMUS i was asking becouse we are moving up here so i wanted to know what it took and since i was given a hard time i found it irritading and it did piss me off. As far as my appearence i don't consider my look as a gangbanger specialy due to the fact that i work in a office and as we all know appearence is everything, and i did state to the sales man the sittuation and that i was just asking for information. Now i understand that he saw the plates that said CA. and if i would have said i wanted a receiver at the time! But that was not the case and i feel the agrivation and hardtime was uncalled for.

Thanks for all your information guys I have received more information from u guys than from the store clerk and with no agrivation . once again thanks to all

My apologize to all the people that got into misunderstandings due to my post. I hope u all understand that my post was not intended to badmouth anybody or any shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top