Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 5:49:22 PM EDT
Greetings.  I was wondering if they really save on the ole electric bill (a/c).  Have heard a few horror stories of shotty installation where they did not seal the screw holes and there was water intrusion.  Any recommended companies who do the best work?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can measure, and use a drill, saw, and screwdriver you can do it yourself and save tons of money.

The Home Depot and Lowe's have everything you'll need, and they'll even walk you through it.

I hear they work pretty good for sunlight and temperature control, but they also cut down on your visual ability to look outside your home when it is dark out.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The Screenmoblie did mine and my greatroom facing the west.  I could really tell the difference and I did save money on the power bill.  363-6103
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:I hear they work pretty good for sunlight and temperature control, but they also cut down on your visual ability to look outside your home when it is dark out.

That is a good point.  I do know from walking the dog at night that if you have a light on and no blinds or shutters it's a clear view in.

Terryreno,  from your nick, is this company in Las Vegas or Reno (I'm in Henderson)?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
F2..............I'm in Vegas.  This is a local couple and they do good work. She'll give a qutoe right over the phone if you give her the measurements.  And right, you can't see in at all now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you negotiate with them. The guy came to my house and gave us an estimate for about $2800. After my wife told him no... he dropped the price another $500. Well....she told him no and the guy was a little pissed. He called us about 10 minutes later and my wife told him that she would pay $1000 and not a penny more. The dude came back and signed the contract. Proffesional installer and quality work. I just can't remember the company's name.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Screenmoblie did mine and my greatroom facing the west.  I could really tell the difference and I did save money on the power bill.  363-6103

Terryreno,  I called the number and they said they don't come to Henderson.  I'll keep looking.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine were one of the best investments I made for my home ($1,000,  10 years ago). If I had to do it all over again, I would have done it myself, and saved a bunch of cash. I will definatly get them again though; on my new house.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I was curious so I googled some info on the screen vs tint decision.

It depends on which screen and which tint you are comparing. The critical factor is how effective they are. The effectiveness is measured by either the Shading Coefficient (SC) or the Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC). In both cases the lower the number, the less heat is allowed to transfer through the window. Generally speaking, shade screens have a SC of about 0.35 and most tints have a SC of between 0.5 and 0.75. So, in general, shade screens are better than most tints, but there are exceptions. Check the SC or SHGC to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Go see Jayne at Quality Screen Service.

(702) 477 - 7099.

You can't get a better deal on the materials anywhere that I have found.  I made my own solar screens (easy project by the way) and got my supplies from her.  She sells bulk to a lot of the mobile screen service outfits in town so you can really cut out the middle man here and save a lot of money.

By the way, I am very glad I put on solar screens - I could tell a difference right away.  Definitely less heat in the house while still letting plenty of light in.

Godd luck with your project  - let us know how it turns out.

- Bolo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top