Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 9:50:14 AM EDT
Hi, everybody.  Yesterday I got a call from a lady friend last night who feels unsafe around her neighbourhood.  Her views leans a little to the left, so I didn't mention getting a gun, but at least she wants self protection in the form of a stun gun.  But the thing is I wouldn't know where to look, I doubt they would sell them at gunstores, cutting into the sales of their other items.  So if anybody has any suggestions of places and what to buy it'd be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, wolfpack.  She did mention pepper spray at first, but the more scared she got she kept on mentioning the stun gun.  So do you have any idea of where to buy pepper spray and what brands to look for?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Agree with Wolfie.
Unless somewhat trained with that weapon, it's a kluster ***k waiting to happen....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell her to look at the label. The percentage of pepper really doesn't mean much, Look for the scovelle heat unit or (SHU) number. It should be at least 1.5 to 2 million units. If this number is missing the stuff is not good. The Gun Store sells the small key chain models for $3.00 and they go up from there. A good pocket size will be $10.00 to $15.00 They also sell Tazer and Stun Guns. The Tazer is pricey up to $1000.00 The hand held stun guns are about $40.00. They are a good early model lie dectector.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks TonyDee.  She lives very close to the Gunstore and I'll tell her to look at the SHU.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Theres a gunshow this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks TonyDee.  She lives very close to the Gunstore and I'll tell her to look at the SHU.

Tony gave some great advice.

I would like to add that I have been using and training with First Defense, MK-4 Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) spray for years. I have never had a failure and it almost always works.

I say it "almost always works" because it is ineffective on about 50% of the population. I have seen some guys in training who are not affected by the stuff get hosed and just laugh and then use it on their pizza.

Just my two pennies worth.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe.

Joe  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everybody who contributed to this thread, will pass along the information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top