Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 7:55:34 AM EDT
I never like this stuff. Under pressure, I tried 750 rounds of the clear coated ammo. This ammo is by far the dirtiest brand when it comes to fouling. But I was shocked that I had not one failure. The M16 even ate it up with no problems. Although I will not use it in my SHTF guns, I have a couple that I can use it in. And for 129.00 per 1,000 I can still aford to go rabbit blasting once a week by the moonlight.  So I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
sadly enough thats usualy all i shoot. Stuff is cheap as hell, hallow points and never jams. if i need some accuracy i just grab some winchester. I think all in all wolf is total fine ammo, ok well its not to accuaret but who gives a shit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The newer stuff has never given me a problem at the range. I usually buy both wolf and Q3131; except I use mostly wolf when I shoot junk in the desert. The nicer stuff usually gets saved for when its worthwhile to shoot it...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know if it is that much dirtier than the Winchester white-box pistol ammo.  Wolf is, however, head and shoulders above A-Merc ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I seem to recall that when I bought my Bushy the guy behind the counter told me never to feed her Wolf....was he feeding me a line or is it ok to use?
Ive shot alteast 1k rounds of the .45 out of my Ruger P90...lots of black smoke and lots of gunk but no ftf or problems......
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If you read the Ammo Oracle you'll see that indeed the earlier Wolf(in .223 at least) had this nasty red sealant around the case mouth.  It would flake off and then become glue in the chamber.  This would result in stuck cases and a nasty mess.

The current Wolf .223 ammo has the clear coat, so you're only left with the underpower (supposedly being addressed) and soot issues.

I confess to not shooting any in my home built AR yet, but only because I felt I found a better deal buying XM193 and Q3131A.  My next ammo purchase will be Wolf, because I want a couple thousand rounds of the good commercial stuff saved back.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
There are several AR companies that will not warrenty their rifles if Wolf ammo is fired through it.  A while back , It was said that the laquer on the steel casses would get hot and melt  in the chamber of guns that were fired repeatedly and rapidly, also causing problems with gumming up the gas port.  Did they change the laquer? I dont know. Are these truths or just rumors? Dont know, as I wont fire that steel cased crap in my rifles. I dont hot rod my AR as it is a precision hunting machine. 200 rounds will last me a year at least.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Another 500 rounds out of the M16 with no problems, (23 Jacks and one cyote) Definatly under powered compared to mil-spec ammo, but for bunny blasting the clear coat new production seems to be ok. I have only been shooting the 62 gr stuff. I am going to pass on the handgun ammo for now.  I am going to order 10 cases of 62 gr and put it to the test. Anyone using the new 55 gr stuff ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll add, EVERY type I've shot including the nasty old shit ran in my Bushy 14.5" 5.56 barrel. All 55grn. The newer stuff is noticably underpowered compared to Q3131 though. At around 200-250yards it has about 2-3" more drop compared to Q3131 and is definetely more erratic accuracy wise.

For taking people out to play around with em and shoot crap -- it's great. If you're looking for a decently priced ammo to do accurate plinking or target with, look for something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top