Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 7:02:15 PM EDT
I just had to post this thread:

As a firearms instructor and a professional in the gun industry, I am getting sick and tired of people attempting to erroneously explain to me what defines a loaded gun.

I have always known a “loaded gun” to be: A firearm with an unexpended round in the chamber that can be fired when the trigger is pressed.

Evidently several years ago some Nevada rocket scientists in Carson City (that’s where Nevada state laws are made) decided to rewrite the laws of physics and define a “loaded” gun as having a full or partially loaded magazine in the gun and an “empty” chamber.

That means if I am carrying a gun, let’s say a 1911 in Condition Three (full mag in the gun, empty chamber, hammer down), would I be carrying a loaded gun? Ok, let’s say I took that same 1911 in the aforementioned condition and I cocked the hammer and pressed the trigger. What would happen? NOTHING! Because the Friggin’ gun is NOT LOADED unless there is an unexpended round in the chamber!

Fish and Game laws allow the transportation of long arms in vehicles on public highways/thoroughfares with fully loaded magazines in the gun, as long as there is not an unexpended round in the chamber. And do you know what those guns are considered under Fish and Game laws in the aforementioned described condition? UNLOADED!

What’s your view? What the Hell is a loaded gun? Am I correct or do I need to be corrected on this?

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, I totally agree with you.

Sometimes my wife will ask me, "is that loaded?" Of course the answer is always to assume "YES!", but in a real sense of actually being loaded or not, the answer can vary.

Preach on!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
this sounds like a LOADED question.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
one in the chamber. mag can be loaded  or if its a revolver it can be loaded as well . long as there isnt one chamberd your good to go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't we all just  get loaded instead?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
All firearms are always loaded.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#7]
my personal idea of a loaded firearm is one that has the immediate ability to be fired, such as a loaded mag being in the mag well, any of the cylinders loaded on a revolver, the clip or tube containing ammo, etc.

I think if a semi-auto has a full mag and an empty chamber, it's still loaded.

i dont, however think the mag should be considered part of the gun in the sence that if the mag is loaded, the gun is "loaded" if the mag is stored in a seperate place.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Just be glad that we're not in California, where a "loaded gun" means a firearm and ammunition in general proximity to each other...

I often wonder why people try to link items such as "understanding of physics", "common sense", etc. with the legal profession.  Legislators can and do define terms to be whatever they want.  Unfortunately they trap the unwary into confusing the definition with the commonly understood, everyday definition.

So to answer your question, yes, you need to be corrected.  It doesn't matter how much data you have to back up your position, the law trumps your opinion.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#9]

......sounds like the kind of issue I usually get torqued up about.....and (perhaps unfortunately) legal definition tops all. Law may be "wrong", but still the law. Maybe a can o' worms not worth openin'........go ahead,  make yourself crazy; I usually do. Tell us if anything changes.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top