Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 9:48:12 PM EDT
Anyone know a good spot to go dove hunting around here?  Looking for public lands.  Trying to avoid Overton also.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck......I am a native here and LOVE dove hunting.  Every year it gets more difficult to find a place to go.  Make no mistake, the birds are here by the millions, the land to hunt them on is shrinking away.  Overton and Logandale  alfalfa fields, gone (homes are to close).  pharump same-o.  Amagosa Valley fields were sold to the dairy and now "no hunting allowed".  Glendale is off limits now too.

It is almost to the point where I am going to sit in my Las Vegas back yard and take a limit with my BB gun.

SAD!

Make no mistake, I will be hunting this year...I just dont know where yet.

"G"
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
yes im going to drive a quarter of a mile to the ranch and lay waste to those airborne basterds that are invading the 160 acres of wheat we put in. i feel for ya guys.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
See ya on the 1st  

"G"
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
See ya on the 1st  hr

Let me know if you need a hunting partner.  I don't want to drive back to central cali just to go dove hunting like last year.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
i cant belive you guys are stressing it out about dove season. We just use them like free clay pidgeons  to get some practice before waterfowl opens up. Jees last year we shot over 300 birds out of the wheat field in just a few trips. blows my mind some one would drive to cali to shoot those damn things.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Believe, my friend( well....not to CALIfornia, but definitly to CALIente).

Dove, quail and chukar.  I cant get enuff!

"G"
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
quail and chukar are one thing but dove are something else.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats why dove season comes 1st.....to get the "rust" off the shootin skills.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
quail and chukar are one thing but dove are something else.

It takes about two or three Quail or Chuckar to make a meal for one person.... Dove are much smaller and it takes at least five or six.

I haven't been bird hunting in a long time, but the above is what I remember when I used to hunt game birds and prepare meals. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#10]
 Chukar = Good eatin'!

Quail wraped w/ bacon and BBQed = not to bad

Dove and 3-6 rum and Cokes while sitting next to the camp fire = the only way to get rid of the nasty things.... ( that is the reason I dont duck hunt anymore)

"G"
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#11]
we eat everything we shoot. my grandma use to be a chef in california and ran her own italian resturant. Everyone raves at how great she can cook the nasty critter and make it taste great. She cooked a awsome swan for x-mas, we eat duck and goose all the times thats out of this world. same with the dove and quail that she makes into palenta. belive me man you just dont know how to cook them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Believe me, I have tried every way I have heard of to make duck , brine, bbq, roast...hell, I have even turned it to jerky (it pluged up my meat grinder)...I had to give up hunting quackers, because I eat what I kill also, and I cant eat those tuff nasty bastages.  

Your G-Ma must be 1 heck of a great cook.  I SUCK@DUCK (haha)

Gary
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]
grandma like bakes the ducks and geese then serves them with plum sauce its sooooo good. Ive met guys that have hunted for 30 years and tried every way to eat ducks and hated it ask if they could come over to dinner and eat some honker with us. Shes a insane cook and could turn your leather boot into a great meal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the receipes guys but how can I cook them if I can't find a good spot to hunt them?I haven't been dove hunting but one time since I have been in the USAF.  I am getting withdrawls here!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I might have a spot in alamo, but I have a different hunt on the 1st........will let you know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
what i like to do is when i blast one and hes still able to fly i wait tell i see some toss him up into the air and they always come to it. then you blast the shit out of the decoyed birds. ahahahaha kill them all damn flying rats.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I might have a spot in alamo, but I have a different hunt on the 1st........will let you know.

Cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top