Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 1:15:02 AM EDT
My neighbor has this rifle that some guy just gave him. It says: deutsche waffen-und munttionsfabriken berlin 1916. It also has what looks like GEM. 98., also a symbol with a crown and wings on it. PIctures will be up soon.

sorry about the crappy photos, my wife has the camera in Florida with her.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks WP!! Thats what I wanted to know, I was thinkin it was Australian.
So far I found out it's a GEW 98 Mauser.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#3]
It's definitely a GEW 98.... pre 98K issue. Those rifles were brought into the country after WWII and used to make hunting rifles, notice how the wood has been sporterized. Usually the waffen marks were polished/ground off before they were sold. Also, look at the bolt handle.. that has been cut and replaced. They didn't have such a big, flat knob for the bolt handle. The would cut the factory handle off, weld in the new one and inlet the wood. I am not 100% sure but I thought the GEW rifles had straight handles.. not bent?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's definitely a GEW 98.... pre 98K issue. Those rifles were brought into the country after WWII and used to make hunting rifles, notice how the wood has been sporterized. Usually the waffen marks were polished/ground off before they were sold. Also, look at the bolt handle.. that has been cut and replaced. They didn't have such a big, flat knob for the bolt handle. The would cut the factory handle off, weld in the new one and inlet the wood. I am not 100% sure but I thought the GEW rifles had straight handles.. not bent?

thanks,
Ron

Thanks Doc, do you think it's worth anything? How do you know what cartridge it's chambered for?
I'm assuming it's 8mm.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You should check the barrel to make sure that is has not be re-barreled. I wouldn't even want to to give a ball park price on that rifle because I honestly don't know. The one thing I do know is that it would be worth more in an original stock than the sporter it's sitting in right now. I would check on gunbroker and see what those actions are going for.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Bring it by Spurlock's or Master's, have them check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top