Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 2:20:58 PM EDT
May god bless this fallen warrior and his family

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Pfc. Daniel F. Guastaferro, 27, of Las Vegas, Nev., died January 7 in Ar Ramadi, Iraq, when his military vehicle left the road and went into a canal.   Guastaferro was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, Camp Casey, Korea.

www.defenselink.mil/releases/2005/nr20050109-1942.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
May God Bless him and his family.  Prayers sent  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I just heard of our most recent loss.

I always pray to God for their safety while they are there; I pray to God for their safe return, and when we lose them I pray for to them to ask God to watch over their fellow Troops.....

May God continue to bless our Troops, and may God continue to bless America.....

This brave soldier joins my prayer list of fallen Heroes.....

Joe  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Soldier from LV dies in Iraq

Guastaferro is 13th person with state ties to be killed

By K.C. HOWARD
REVIEW-JOURNAL

Pfc. Daniel F. Guastaferro
Las Vegas soldier was killed Friday in city about 60 miles west of Baghdad, Iraq

Pfc. Daniel Guastaferro

A 27-year-old soldier from Las Vegas was killed in Iraq on Friday while conducting combat operations, the Defense Department announced Sunday.

Pfc. Daniel F. Guastaferro died when his military vehicle ran off the road and plunged into a canal, the military said.

The incident happened in Ar Ramadi, a city about 60 miles west of Baghdad.

Military officials with U.S. Central Command in Baghdad could provide few details about the incident Sunday night. Attempts to reach family members were unsuccessful.

Guastaferro was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, Camp Casey, Korea.

The air assault unit traditionally has been used to help transitions to war and evacuate noncombatants, according to GlobalSecurity.org, a nonprofit security think tank in Alexandria, Va.

Guastaferro's death brings to 13 the number of military personnel from Nevada or based in Nevada killed supporting the nation's war on terrorism after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, according to information from the Pentagon.

The list includes nine who were killed during Operation Iraqi Freedom in Iraq and Kuwait; three who were killed in Afghanistan during operations Enduring Freedom and Anaconda; and one killed in the Philippines. The deaths were from both hostile and nonhostile actions.

With Guastaferro, those killed include:

• Army Spc. Jason A. Disney of Fallon, killed Feb. 13, 2002, in Afghanistan.

• Army Staff Sgt. Kerry W. Frith of Las Vegas, killed Feb. 21, 2002, in the Philippines.

• Army Cpl. Matthew A. Commons of Boulder City, killed March 4, 2002, in Afghanistan.

• Army Chief Warrant Officer John D. Smith, killed Feb. 24, 2003, in Kuwait.

• Marine Lance Cpl. Donald J. Cline Jr. of Sparks, killed March 23, 2003, in Iraq.

• Marine 1st Lt. Frederick E. Pokorney Jr. of Tonopah, killed March 23, 2003, in Iraq.

• Marine, Lance Cpl. Michael Williams, who was born in Reno but lived in Phoenix, killed in Iraq on March 23, 2003.

• Army Capt. Josh Byers, who attended Sparks High School, killed July 23, 2003, in Iraq.

• Army Reserve Staff Sgt. Cameron B. Sarno of Las Vegas, killed Sept. 1, 2003, in Kuwait.

• Marine Cpl. William I. Salazar of Las Vegas, a combat photographer documenting the war, killed Oct. 15 in Karabilah, Iraq.

• Airman 1st Class Jesse M. Samek, 21, from Nellis Air Force Base, killed Oct. 21 in a helicopter accident in western Afghanistan.

• Marine Pfc. John Lukac of Las Vegas, killed Oct. 30 near Fallujah, Iraq.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top