Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2004 7:48:13 AM EDT
I just got a call from my fiance saying that they just posted a sign at our local Walmart at the entrance not allowing firearms in the store.  This seems like a sudden overnight thing, meaning she hasn't heard of this prior to today.  She has a good relationship with management and a good ear with Loss Prevention as well so she would've heard about this prior.  I'll ask her for details.  Hopefully I can report more later.

Edit to add: She just called me to tell me that they also raised the background check for firearms from $15 to $25.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk to the manager and tell them you will not frequent their store if they continue this policy.  It's the mangers choice not company policy IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Talk to the manager and tell them you will not frequent their store if they continue this policy.  It's the mangers choice not company policy IIRC.

I understand, however, my fiance works there.  Perhaps I can do some negotiating or education with the store management....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're carrying concealed correctly, no one would know that you had a weapon.  Just go about your business...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no provision in NV law where a store can make it a crime to carry concealed if you have a valid permit.  I say "carry away".  If you're doing your job correctly, this will never be an issue.

Even if caught, the only possible crime is tresspassing and they'll have to ask you to leave first.  Dismissal for employees is a different issue, but I'd invest in some deep concealment options.  www.smartcarry.com is a good one from personal experience.

And yes, NHP has upped the fees.  Get a carry permit as transfers are free.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Which Walmart?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you're carrying concealed correctly, no one would know that you had a weapon.  Just go about your business...

+1

bellyband
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Please give us the store's location and store number.
I'll bet we can turn this around with a few well written letters.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

i CC in Walmarts all the time.  you MUST remember what the FIRST C stands for.

CONCEALED.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
+1++
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't see that, even if they discovered you were carrying, the most they could do is ask you to  you to leave. If you refused then they could call Metro, but not before. It would be illegal for them to detain you. I have seen the Wal Mart sign and I carry anyway. If I am confronted I will just quit shopping and leave.  Only Law Enforcement has the right to even ask to see your CCW they way I understand it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Only Law Enforcement has the right to even ask to see your CCW they way I understand it.

Probably true, but the permit is the basis of making what you are doing legal.  Showing it if caught by store personnel could make the difference in the police getting involved in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Really, they can't detain you unless your shoplifting or something like that. Simply because you have a gun concealed means nothing really. They are not Law Enforcement all they can do is ask you to leave. In which case you should. I would not show my ID to a Wal Mart employee unless I thought he was foolish enough to try to take it. In any case almost any situation can properly diffused with the  proper words. But I would probably tell them to kiss my ass and just leave. 99% of the zit faced workers are not going to challenge you anyway.  But could you imagine being in there and needing it, and not having it ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]
The last I knew WM had a corporate policy of not banning CCW.  Call WM HQ and let them know of the problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The last I knew WM had a corporate policy of not banning CCW.  Call WM HQ and let them know of the problem.

The signs that are posted look temporary like it was from a home computer.  The other Walmart a few miles down  to it had no such signs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I have read reports that calling HQ and telling them the situation quickly solves the problems.  I would give it a shot, especially if it appears some manager took it upon themselves.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Somebody e-mail me the store address (and store number if you can get it). I have a good friend in management here at the local Walmart (Gunsap45 here at ARFCom) and he can help straighten this whole thing out. The home office gets real scared when people star talking lawsuit, rights infringement and such. they'll lean on whatever lefty put those signs up and you can go back to buying NASCAR stuff with yer piece on.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#19]
email sent
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I called the store and the Wal-Mart home office and put in a complaint to them I thank you all should do the same just call 1800-walmart!!Make sure to tell them you will never shop in another walmart sore again and they have lost a life long customer. Trust me on this I am a manager at one of these stores
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#21]
You should also post this on the main page! The more calles the better!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have read reports that calling HQ and telling them the situation quickly solves the problems.  I would give it a shot, especially if it appears some manager took it upon themselves.

Yep, that's exactly what I did and it cost some little weenie liberal manager his job at the Savannah Walmart.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Its the WM at BH/LM.  I saw it on the door.  Talked to the guy working in sporting goods.  He said they have a fairly new manager and he hates guns.  If you notice, the restocking of the guns and accessories takes a loooong time,  to never happen.  Some gun magazines have disappeared also.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I spoke to the store manager after the home office sent him an e-mail telling him I had called them.
His response is that it is Walmart's Corporate policy and that it's being enforced by some Regional or District manager somewhere. I call Bullshit and so does Gunsap who said he is unfamiliar with this "Corporate Policy".
Taking it to the GD for a can of Whoop-ass to open!

Count the days before the signs come down.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I work Loss prevention at walmart, although in washington not nevada. I can assure you that there has been no corporate policy change regarding CCW in walmart stores. you have a rogue manager/distrcit manager that is making shit up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#26]
45calmike-
Please update us on sign situation. Are they still up?
The guy I spoke to at home office says there is no such policy and my complaint would be forwarded to a member of management.
I just need to know if I need to call again and give them some more of the "what for".
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#27]
In New Mexico the CCW law states that businesses can restrict your right to carry on their premises. They must have it posted at all enterences to the store. I have seen it at the local WalMart and also at most restaurants that sell alcohol. I believe it is a class III felony to carry in a store that has it posted.

This is from www.packing.org regarding New Mexico CCW's:

Places off-limits while carrying
Date updated: Friday, July 2, 2004

Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on school or pre-school premises.
Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on university premises
Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon in licensed liquor establishments****
Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on a bus
****Includes convenience stores selling alcohol for off premises consumption.

WalMart Stores in New Mexico. Sign photo taken 05/10/2003

It has been pointed out to me that some who obtain a CHL for New Mexico do not understand a private property owners rights, and that they supercede those of others that wish to enter that property.

Please read:

10.8.2.27 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF CONCEALED HANDGUNS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY: Pursuant to Subsection C of NMSA 1978 Section 29-19-12, any person lawfully in possession of private property may prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns on such private property by posting notice in accordance with NMSA 1978 Section 30-14-6 or by verbally notifying persons entering upon the property.

Your right to carry under a New Mexico State Law does not extend beyond that of a property owner.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Your right to carry under a New Mexico State Law does not extend beyond that of a property owner.

Well i guess its a good thing we live in Nevada.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In New Mexico the CCW law states that businesses can restrict your right to carry on their premises. They must have it posted at all enterences to the store. I have seen it at the local WalMart and also at most restaurants that sell alcohol. I believe it is a class III felony to carry in a store that has it posted.

This is from www.packing.org regarding New Mexico CCW's:

Places off-limits while carrying
Date updated: Friday, July 2, 2004

Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on school or pre-school premises.
Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on university premises
Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon in licensed liquor establishments****
Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on a bus
****Includes convenience stores selling alcohol for off premises consumption.

WalMart Stores in New Mexico. Sign photo taken 05/10/2003

It has been pointed out to me that some who obtain a CHL for New Mexico do not understand a private property owners rights, and that they supercede those of others that wish to enter that property.

Please read:

10.8.2.27 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF CONCEALED HANDGUNS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY: Pursuant to Subsection C of NMSA 1978 Section 29-19-12, any person lawfully in possession of private property may prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns on such private property by posting notice in accordance with NMSA 1978 Section 30-14-6 or by verbally notifying persons entering upon the property.

Dude, WTF was all that New Mexico stuff about?  You sure you're in the right forum?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well i guess its a good thing we live in Nevada.

LOL
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I was just trying to show that Nevada is not alone in their CCW issues with WalMart. The first time I saw a "NO firearms" sign on a store was on a WalMart here in New Mexico and I was surprised they could do that. Apparently New Mexico law backs them up on their abilty to prevent folks from carrying on store property.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Please report to us all Walmarts that post "No firearms" signs. This is an issue that we cannot ignore. Walmart is a very powerful company, and if they can make the idea of banning CCW exceptable then other companies will pick up on it. then it will render your CCW worthless, and it will be the same as if they legilated it away, which they will when it becomes apparent there is nowhere in public you can carry.
Walmart is the BIG DOG. If we can keep them in check, we can keep all of the rest in check.
Even if you don't personally shop there, this matter affects you!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#34]

The first time I saw a "NO firearms" sign on a store was on a WalMart here in New Mexico and I was surprised they could do that. Apparently New Mexico law backs them up on their abilty to prevent folks from carrying on store property.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that NV is rather unique in that private property cannot be made a no carry zone to a permit holder in that it is punishable by felony charges.  I know for a fact that both TX and TN allows private property to be marked so that it is a crime to carry a concelaed weapon on the premesis, even with a permit.  But thankfully, we don't live there!  

NV will respect the property owner's right to ask you to leave, however...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Please report to us all Walmarts that post "No firearms" signs. This is an issue that we cannot ignore. Walmart is a very powerful company, and if they can make the idea of banning CCW exceptable then other companies will pick up on it. then it will render your CCW worthless, and it will be the same as if they legilated it away, which they will when it becomes apparent there is nowhere in public you can carry.
Walmart is the BIG DOG. If we can keep them in check, we can keep all of the rest in check.
Even if you don't personally shop there, this matter affects you!

Once again, this is NOT Walmart corporate policy.  If you see a Walmart with a sign or a Walmart employee tells you that you can't carry, don't argue with them, go home and call Walmart corporate offices.

The only thing that needs to be kept in check are the individual managers who do this shit.  Make the call.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I went to the Walmart website and sent an email to their corporate headquarters about the store in NM. This is the email I sent them:

"I noticed a sign on the enterence to this store that advised it was unlawful to carry a concealed weapon onto the premises. This also included persons who legally can carry a firearm with a New Mexico state issued concealed weapons permit. Is this an individual store policy or a nationwide company wide policy? I do not like the idea of having to leave my firearm unattended in my vehicle while I shop in your store."

This is the link to the website to contact them:

www.walmartstores.com/wmstore/wmstores/Container.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1618782308.1097629722@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadcmilmfdfjcfkfcfkjdgoodglg.0&template=OnlineForm.jsp

I'll let you know what response I get.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#37]
As of today the sign remains. I called Wal-Mart corporate HQ and voiced my displeasure. I spend a lot of money in that stor on their inexpensive .45 ammo (that they are now out of). They woman on the phone said I'll get a response in two business days. I'll report back on Friday. I'll bet that sign is gone by this weekend. I urge local shooters who are reading this to call and tell them you will not buy ammo or anything else there until the sign is gone. I told the woman that since it's in a crappy neighborhood (Lake Mead and Bould Hwy) that I always pack in the store. I went on to tell her that if the sign is still there on Saturday that I will have my 450-member gun club start buying their ammo in bulk from the internet. Henderson
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is a letter I sent to Wal-Mart's Corporate Headquarters:

Dear Sir/Madame:

I have a concern with Wal-Mart store #2050, located at 300 East Lake Mead Drive, Henderson, Nevada  89015.

It appears there are signs conspicuously posted at Store #2050 clearly stating that firearms are prohibited in that particular Wal-Mart store. Wal-Mart is a privately owned public building and it is not covered under Nevada Revised Statutes NRS 202.3673 in regards to carrying concealed firearms.

NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.
     1.  Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of any public building.
     2.  A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.
     3.  A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of:
     (a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or the property of the University and Community College System of Nevada, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to paragraph (c) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.
     (b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.
     4.  The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:
     (a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which he presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.
     (b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this state from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building.
     (c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building.
     (d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.
     5.  A person who violates subsection 2 or 3 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    6.  As used in this section, “public building” means any building or office space occupied by:
    (a) Any component of the University and Community College System of Nevada and used for any purpose related to the system; or
     (b) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.

If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.
     (Added to NRS by 1995, 2725; A 1997, 63; 1999, 2767)

As referenced in the above statute there is nothing outlined in NRS 202.3673 that prohibits an individual from carrying a concealed firearm on the premises of a privately owned public building.

Therefore I have several questions:

1. Are individual Wal-Mart stores granted the option to prohibit firearms?
2. Is the decision to prohibit the carrying of firearms at Wal-Mart Store #2050 an arbitrary assessment by the management of that individual store, or is the current policy commensurate on a National level?
3. Has this policy been implemented due to a misinterpretation of Nevada Statute?
4. Will this policy remain in force at Store #2050?
5. What ramifications/penalties can one expect if he/she chooses to exercise their Constitutional rights in a Wal-Mart store that has a no firearms policy?

As one of 80,000,000 gun owners in the law-abiding firearms community, I feel this issue is especially important to the individuals who patronize Wal-Mart stores who legally choose to use firearms as their personal choice for self-defense. Just like children and guns, Wal-Mart customers and guns can be a responsible and safe mix.

I await your response.

Sincerely Yours,

Joseph Nizzari
Las Vegas, Nevada
(702) XXX-XXXX  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks WP.

I just hope they respond intelligently. If some person with the name of "Shaquequa" or "LaDontay" responds to my letter I'll have to sharpen up on my Ebonics in order to read the response.....

Where is that damn Ebonics translation manual????  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
. . .  If some person with the name of "Shaquequa" or "LaDontay" responds to my letter I'll have to sharpen up on my Ebonics in order to read the response.....

hequannza
Dave in Henderson, whose wifey needs a private CCW class (maybe)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I just recevived a phone call from the Wal-Mart in question. It was not from the woman who is the manager, but one of her employees. The man asked me what he could do to get my business back and I told him to take the sign down and I'd be back. He said they were working with the home office on the issue. I argued that it wasn't an issue with the home office and he agreed. Apparently the woman who runs the place is a little bitchy and wants everything her way. I told this man that there's no way in hell I'd be back until the sign came down. He admitted that there were about 5 complaints lodged about the sign.

Folks - let's call the home office and write letters. Get on their asses so this bitch gets either re-assigned or has her balls cut off and takes down the sign.

Dave in Henderson
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Good Job Dave. I 'm still waiting for a response from corporate headquarters on my email about the one in NM. I'll let you know when/if they respond back to me.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Regret to inform everyone - WM on Trop & Pecos has also added the signs. Stumbled in there on Thurs. and noticed on my exit........
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I work for Sam's Club on Trop and Pecos....... We do not have this Policy nor does any of the other 3 Sam's in town.

The Store MGR of the Wal-Mart on Pecos and Trops name is Mark(or he was last time I had dealings with this store),  call the store or the Home Office at 1-877-go-4-Wal-Mart (I think thats the number)  If you make a stink at the Home Office they will back down. Tell them Sam Walton is rolling over in his Grave. He was a hunter and a gun collector.

Take care,
Ed
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#46]
VICTORY AT WAL-MART!

I received a phone call in response to my letter to Wal-Mart's Corporate Office regarding the no weapons allowed sign at the Wal-Mart located on Lake Mead in Henderson. The person that called me is Sean the Assistant Manager from that particular store in Henderson. He was very courteous and professional. He said that he is a gun owner and avid hunter and he was very concerned about losing business within the gun community due to the no weapons policy.

Sean said that our calls and letters alerted him to the fact that the sign was unintentionally targeting law-abiding CCW permit holders. He said that the sign was there to put people that did not have a permit on notice that the store had a no weapons policy. I suggested that instead of taking down the sign, Wal-Mart should keep the sign and add the statement: "Without a valid Nevada Concealed Weapon Permit per NRS 202.350

By taking that approach the store can still put the bad guys on notice, and the good guys with CCW permits will know that they are welcome.

Give Sean a call and let him know you appreciate him addressing and listening to our concerns. I think you'll find that he is a pretty OK guy. (702) 564-3665

Good work guys....  

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Way to go! The exact solution we needed.  I'll give Sean a call tomorrow. He's the man that called me the other day.

Dave in Henderson
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
VICTORY AT WAL-MART!

I received a phone call in response to my letter to Wal-Mart's Corporate Office regarding the no weapons allowed sign at the Wal-Mart located on Lake Mead in Henderson. The person that called me is Sean the Assistant Manager from that particular store in Henderson. He was very courteous and professional. He said that he is a gun owner and avid hunter and he was very concerned about losing business within the gun community due to the no weapons policy.

Sean said that our calls and letters alerted him to the fact that the sign was unintentionally targeting law-abiding CCW permit holders. He said that the sign was there to put people that did not have a permit on notice that the store had a no weapons policy. I suggested that instead of taking down the sign, Wal-Mart should keep the sign and add the statement: "Without a valid Nevada Concealed Weapon Permit per NRS 202.350

By taking that approach the store can still put the bad guys on notice, and the good guys with CCW permits will know that they are welcome.

Give Sean a call and let him know you appreciate him addressing and listening to our concerns. I think you'll find that he is a pretty OK guy. (702) 564-3665

Good work guys....  

Adding the "Without a valid Nevada Concealed Weapon Permit" is a great idea.  Hopefully there is some internal memo sent to other Walmarts here to revise the signs.  You guys are great!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#50]
+1..... nice job there. I am still waiting on a response fro my email about the NM store from corporate. I hope  WalMart makes this a nationwide policy for all their stores. Let's keep up the good work on this!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top