Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 1:30:14 PM EDT
I received my Nevada CCW today in the mail.   I submitted the paperwork on June 28th, 2004.  That makes eighty-six days by my count.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Miracle! Mine took 134 days. Glad your's came sooner, because it means they're getting back on track in their processing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been thinking about getting one....Whats the process??
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll assume you are in Clark County.  Take a Nevada CCW course.  All the instructors I know give you the forms.  After you finish the course and qualify with your pistol(s), fill out the forms.  Take the paperwork, your Nevada driver's license, Clark County blue cards and a money order for $105.00 down to the LVMPD office on Cameron Street.  Then wait for it to show up in the mail.  

There are several CCW instructors in town.  I took my course at Master Shooter Supply from Floyd but there are others in town that do a great job too such as Joe Nizarri.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I received my Nevada CCW today in the mail.   I submitted the paperwork on June 28th, 2004.  That makes eighty-six days by my count.  

Oh Great!  Another wild eyed gun nut roaming the streets packing heat.  What's next?  Machine guns and Mortars???

Congrats Different, I now feel pretty lucky that mine came in in under 50 days.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted: There are several CCW instructors in town. I took my course at Master Shooter Supply from Floyd but there are others in town that do a great job too such as Joe Nizarri.

Quoted: Contact Ishoot2live. Joe is a personal CCW instrutor.

Thanks for the referral Diff and WP....

AR15ster, if you need info on obtaining a Nevada CCW permit, please contact me, I will be more than happy to speak to you personally...

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What's next?  Machine guns and Mortars???

I like how AZ handles their "permitted" carry weapons.  Pretty much anything and everything.  If it's legal for you to own, it's legal to carry concealled under the permit.  Don't know if this has changed though in the last 10 years though since I had my permit there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Here in Douglas County it always seems to take 120+ days. My original permit took forever to get, but renewel was super fast. They just updated the info and did some paperwork. Out of curiousity, I have seen some of the other county's CCW cards and i am curious what your's all look like.
Mine looks like I made it in the garage and laminated it myself. It's crappier than my daughter's junior high ID card. Also, it only lists two weapons, the other nine are on a piece of paper I am supposed to carry until" it's entered into the system", since they couldn't tell me what that means, I just tote it around all of the time.
I have seen Storey and Washoe county's, and they look like real IDs, like the new Driver's Licenses, with the picture printed on the plastic. Mine looks like the old ID with the picture on paper, under laminate.
Anyhow, congrats on getting your permit, and for those in this area that haven't gotten theirs, I highly reccomend the folks at Armed and Safe in Reno ( they also run the Mustang Range machine gun shoots).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The Clark County, CCW looks like a Clark County, Sheriff's Work Card. It is digitally created and It is not laminated, it's one solid piece of plastic. The holder's picture, name, permit number, date of issue and expiration date are on the front. The holder's name, height, weight, dob, etc., is on the back along with the address, signature of holder, make, model, caliber and date gun(s) were added. Although serial numbers are not required on the actual permit, they are required on the original application, or when you qualify to add a gun.

Some people are under the impression that you can carry the same type of gun if it is not listed on the permit. This is incorrect because of the "gun specific" rule. Even though the serial number is not listed on the permit itself, it is still in the data base.

For example: one of my students went through my CCW course with a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. After receiving his permit he subsequently sold his Model 19. Several months later he called me and told me that he purchased another Model 19 (the original 19 was still listed on the permit), and he asked me if he could just carry that gun without officially adding it to his permit. I reminded him of what was covered in his CCW class and informed him that if he is caught he could be guilty of "carrying a concealed weapon without a permit," which is now a Category C Felony under Nevada law.

Eventually I got together with the student and qualified him on the new Glock and he added it to his CCW and all was well. This is just one example of the tricky Nevada rules that can take an individual from Hero to Zero rather quickly.

Laws and rules change quite frequently, and it is the responsibility of the permit holder to stay on top of the law not only in his state, but any other state where he wishes to exercise his right to carry.      
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Some people are under the impression that you can carry the same type of gun if it is not listed on the permit. This is incorrect because of the "gun specific" rule. Even though the serial number is not listed on the permit itself, it is still in the data base.

This must vary on a county by county basis.  I have not provided serial numbers in Washoe when adding pistols, only model and caliber.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was told by a friend that the new CCW card lists the guns serial number as the old one doesn't...is this true?

WP, when I received my renewal permit three years ago and I was issued the newer style permit. My permit justs lists the manufacturer, model designation and caliber, not the serial number. If they are listing serial numbers on the permit Metro never notified me, nor have any of my students.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This must vary on a county by county basis.  I have not provided serial numbers in Washoe when adding pistols, only model and caliber.

Here is an exerpt from the page regarding CCW's from the LVMPD web-site:

"All applicants must attend and successfully pass a firearms safety course approved by the Sheriff or another allowed by law. All applicants must qualify with the firearm(s) they wish to carry. All fees charged for courses or qualification must be paid by the applicant."

LVMPD CCW Permit

Here is an exerpt from the actual NRS 202.3657 regarding CCW permits:

"Such a course must include instruction in the use of each firearm to which the application pertains and in the laws of this state relating to the use of a firearm. A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless he determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association or, if the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association ceases to exist, its legal successor."

Nevada CCW Statute

In Clark County you MUST provide a serial number on the permit application. I am not sure how the other counties issue their permits, but it seems pretty clear both on Metro's CCW web page, and in the NRS, that you must demonstrate proficiency (qualify).

I can't speak for all the counties in Nevada, but I do know for a fact that if a specific gun is not listed on your permit in Clark County, and you are caught carrying it concealed, an officer can arrest you for "carrying a concealed firearm without a permit," which is punishable by a category C felony.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]

All applicants must qualify with the firearm(s) they wish to carry

It appears as though Clark County is taking a much more literal interpretation of this statute (i.e. the specific gun down to serial number) than other counties.

Just for shits and grins, here's the part of the Wahoe application where you list the guns.  Note no space for serial number.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the heads-up southern_raider. I guess Clark County, is one of two counties in the state that requires handgun registration.

There is a Nevada law prohibiting the registration of firearms and ammunition:

NRS 244.364 Limited authority to regulate firearms.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers.
2. A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.
3. As used in this section, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.
(Added to NRS by 1989, 652)

NRS 244.364

I guess that Clark, and any other county that still requires firearm registration are "grandfathered" in, and the only way that practice can be lifted is by either the county voluntarily pulling the ordinance, or having the legislature revisit Nevada's preemption statute.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#18]
FYI, my Nevada CFP ID lists the make, model, caliber and date qualified for the firearms but there are no serial numbers.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Also no serial numbers here in Douglas County.
Now I suspect that Clark Co. wants you to feel like you have to have serial number registration for your permit, but I don't believe they can enforce that. It is a county issued permit that must be recognized statewide, therefore if i go toClark county, I can carry my mom's Glock 26 (as listed on my permit) and when she comes here, she can carry mine (as listed on her permit).
I call Bullshit on the ClarkCounty serial number NAZIs.
If I am not mistaken, the CCW database is run through DMV/PS, and if my serial numbers are not there, why would yours in Clark County. They have you guys all registered for there county purposes, but I doubt they can ding you for carrying a gun other than the serialed one on your "privelege to own" card.
Y'all should look into this more closely. If you have some cop friends, I'd be curious to see what they have to say.

This is the major reason I hate the south. I have great respect for you guys as my brothers in arms, but the general populace of Las Vegas is just a bunch of Californians, with their California attitudes, in the desert. The State legislature preempted the rest of the state from trying to create further restrictive gun laws,  but it was too late for Clark County. The fear I have is that as Vegas gains more power in the State legislature, the Liberal asses they send  will enact NRS that mimic  Kali laws. MARK MY WORDS!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I call Bullshit on the ClarkCounty serial number NAZIs.

They have you guys all registered for there county purposes, but I doubt they can ding you for carrying a gun other than the serialed one on your "privelege to own" card.

I agree.  State laws need to be applied equally across the state.  Either all the other counties need to match the serial number on the CCW requirement that Clark uses, or they need to drop theirs.

While cops need to qualify with their serivce weapons, I really doubt they need to requal should their primary go down and a replacement be issued.  Obviously this is not the exact issue here, but it is a legally valid analogy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top