Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 9:06:35 PM EDT
Does anyone know anything about the group "Hicaps From Home?" It seems that I remember a similar effort like this one last year, but I didn't hear much more about it until now.

HiCaps From Home

It sounds like a very noble cause, but I want to see if anyone else knows of them and their legitimacy before I support their effort.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I call
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a thread that had contact points for sending needed things to the troops.  But it was throuhg a contact person here in the states who then shipped things over on mil transports.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, it's legit. Do a search on "Rick DeStephens" +gun on google and you'll see that this guy is involved. He has been trying to get our group, AWBANSUNSET.com, to officially back him in sending Beretta standard capacity mags to the troops, but it doesn't seem to be a significant enough issue to us really. If the troops needed 'em, they'd have 'em.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I just was wondering about the legitamacy of the mag effort. Good point Blisters.... I've heard about body armor issues for our troops, but I haven't heard much about a magazine shortage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Its not a shortage. .GOV tried to save money and bought a bunch of crap non-OEM mags and our troops are holding the bag with unreliable crap, weak spring issues among others.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I see. They have plenty of mags, but a lot of them are shitty quality with inherent probs. Makes more sense now.

Thanks and be safe.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
To chime in here:  I tried to purchase some LE/Military mags since I was deploying AD military and wanted some new 30 round mags for the M16 and 15s for the the Berettas we are working on getting.  Problem was, for military sales it basically had to come off a military PO.  

Yes the military has a lot of crappy magazines.  I've seen first hand that a lot of the problems with the magazines come from operator error.  Especially with the Berettas.  Common problems were the spring installed backwards or upside down.  A lot of times people would "stretch" the spring to supposedly give it more upward force for feeding rounds.  What they didn't understand was that this destroys a magazine spring fast.

Of course the military's purchasing of non-factory Beretta mags didn't help matters any either.  I've talked to a few people that would beg/borrow/steal to get PB stamped mags.  Just because Tripple K puts a lifetime warranty on their magazines doesn't mean they are worth a spit.  This is stuff that your life depends on.  While the military may like cutting costs by cutting corners, the rest of us put more value on our lives than the military does.

But now that the ban is behind us we can get on with our lives and buy stuff that works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top