Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 3:09:33 PM EDT
and is there anything I can do about putting a grip on the front end like a Steyr Aug? Price was $650 and felt that was fair for a new Black rifle in .223.

Let me know if there are any cool things that I can do to the Bushmaster M17.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh man....

I have to send mine out for that conversion. I want the shortened receiver and the shortened barrel with the AUG style flash hider. I've always wanted an AUG but couldn't see spending $2800+ for it. That conversion doesn't look half bad.

BTW, I guess my office had already planned lunch for tomorrow. Would it be alright to stop by your office tomorrow (of course I will still take your office out to lunch though ) ?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good to me ;)
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.... I just checked out the Forums section on Kurt's Kustom website and I it takes about 3-4 months to get your weapon back? Somebody has even had their weapon their since March and still doesn't have it back  

I might want to check out AA Gunsmith that was posted in the thread below.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you heard that DSA is supposed to start producing a domestic AUG in the near future?  The M17 is nice, but it ain't no AUG!  

Scuttlebut is that it'll be around $1200-$1500, built on Styers own equipment.

Edited to add:  Kurt (of Kurts Kustom) is backed up for a reason; he's known for the kickass work that he does, and his smithing is second to none.  I've used him, and while slow, he delivers an outstanding product.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought the AUG/DSA thing was a no-go? Something about not being able to obtain the tooling.

Does anybody have an update on that situation?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#7]
The upper receiver is just a sturdy aluminum extrusion.  Just dissassemble the upper and add your own rail section.  All you need is a hand drill and low profile nuts for the far side, and you can get away with alignment while tightening.

Let me know if you need other info.  I did all this to mine which turned it into a nice performer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I mentioned in another thread that I finally took the M17s out for some plinking.

My impressions:

-The weapon has almost no recoil. Very nice because your face is right in the weapon
- Trigger "clicks" twice when shooting. Must be part of the trigger rod and then the hammer dropping.
-  The weapon get HOT fast. I put 3 mags through and by the time I was on the fourth or fifth I had to put a on a pair of gloves.
- I did have a problem with some rounds seating. If there was a forward assist on the weapon it probably would have not been a problem.

I will definitely have to do some upgrading in this weapon. I will probably install a front rail/grip to avoid the heat issue. Also, I will have to find somebody with a mill so they can cut some cooling ports on the front portion of the receiver like a British L85. There are openings on the top of the receiver but I think it needs way more than those.

Nice gun for the money but could use some improvement.

thanks,
Ron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top