Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 6:51:42 PM EDT
i gave a call to Vegas Gunworks (Blake something-or-other) and he quoted me 200 bucks to turn a barrel down in diameter (under the foregrip) and thread the muzzle for me.

Seems steep.  Anyone else in town worth a try???
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
AA gunsmithing across from Cheetas .471-7441
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I will give them a call, thank you.

Anyone else to consider??
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
i saw that thread shortly after i posted this question.  I am planning on making a trip down there this week.

thanks for the tip!!  However, as much as i like supporting the local guys, if their prices are significantly different than ADCO, i may just ship my barrel to them.  There is plenty of customer feedback with ADCO, and i KNOW what i will be getting.  

As much as i like supporting the local guy, i also have to support myself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i saw that thread shortly after i posted this question.  I am planning on making a trip down there this week.

thanks for the tip!!  However, as much as i like supporting the local guys, if their prices are significantly different than ADCO, i may just ship my barrel to them.  There is plenty of customer feedback with ADCO, and i KNOW what i will be getting.  

As much as i like supporting the local guy, i also have to support myself.

Absolutely true...  What prices were they quoting you at ADCO?    I've already committed to bringing an upper down to the local guys and have them install a phantom, so I'll post pics and what I thought when I get it back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]
56 to thread
59 to turn

ADCO shop services
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Turn it down until it looks like a McDonalds Soda straw!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
well, it is a Model 1 heavy stainless barrel, and it is exactly what i wanted, (from the gas block forward) but it is a little TOO heavy under the handguards.  I figure if im going to thread it and add a can, i should turn off some of the weight of the barrel to even things out a bit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
56 to thread
59 to turn

ADCO shop services

Thanks for the link.

The rifle that I'm getting worked on already has a perm brake installed, so I'd have to go with the $85 option ADCO offers (removal and reattachment) so for the extra $15 I'll just get it done locally.  But I might get another one of my barrels cut down to M4 profile.

I can only imagine that ADCO, and other good AR smiths, are going to busier than hell in the next few weeks!  Whoo hooo!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can only imagine that ADCO, and other good AR smiths, are going to busier than hell in the next few weeks!  Whoo hooo!

One can hope!!!  YeeeeHAAA!!!

I got me a collapsible stock on the way, and a suppressor can on the back burner!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I asked the 'smith at Citadel to turn down a barrel, he indicated he wouldn't do it.

Wouldn't hurt to ask again though ;)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I just talked to Jon over at Citadel, and he indicated that they DO NOT have a lathe on site, but their Gunsmith either USES a lathe at another machine shop, or has it done by another machine shop in town.

Jon had no clue as to pricing, but told me to call back in a few days for a quote.

he DID NOT indicate that turning the barrel down is out of the question, but rather just told me that he would have to ask his smith.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]
ok guys, the smith here! legal limit is 16 inches. unless something changes. 100 to thread and turn. as far as the lathe goes yes we do have a lathe, its just to big to fit in the room with the other stuff. and for those of you that know, its a clausing with digital read out capable of a class 2 fitting,
class 1 is what NASA uses,  do i have to say anything more. now on to thinning a barrel, not a good thing since it will not only change the harmonics but create stress, so chances are accuracy
will suffer. stay safe and let me know if theres anything i can do for you guys,mike  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks mike!!!

now that is what i like to hear...Real answers!!  I believe i will be dropping off my barrel this week.
Thanks in advance!!!

I am sorry that i misunderstood the lathe situation...In my short talk with Jon i got the impression that you didnt have a lathe...but apperently he meant you did have one IN the store.

Turn around time estimate??
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Mike as for the turning and contouring the barrel under the handguard, i was hoping for something like this....

Do you think doing this will drastically effect my accuracy??  Keep in mind this is a 556 carbine and not a 223 varminter.

Picture comes courtesy of ADCO.

Also for those that are unaware, "Sako1" is the screen name for Jon and Mike at Citadel gun and safe.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#16]
as far as turn around goes i'm giving all ar-15 guys first priority, since know one knows how long the ban will be out i'm going to be working through the night so that we can all enjoy the lapse.
i will get the barrels back as fast as accuracy will allow. when it comes to my machine work i'm about as anal as they come since i build custom precision rifles capable of 1/4moa you have to be.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#17]
heres the problem, the barrel has been turned and stress relieved during its manufacturing,hopefully,lol. if i were to turn the barrel i could not stress relieve it.
accuracy is then affected as well as life of the barrel. if all went well, your a happy camper, if it didnt and accuracy was affect its my fault, get the picture.  you'll only get the truth from us.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Mike, yur gonna have to dumb it down for us dingbats in the class.

what is stress relieve???  and what does it do?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
stress releiving is a process that removes, how can io put this, tight spots in the steel, some manufactorurs use heat then let the barrel cool down naturaly others use a process called cryrogenics you've all heard of it, working at the ends of the barrel does not cause stress, threading is a perfect example, anything else does. as far as harmonics, every time the bullet goes down the barrel the barrel sings a song, if the song is the same tone every time or as close as possible you have an accurate barrel, if its not the bullet will do some funky things and exit not spinning true to its axis, hence flyers. now on to lathes, if you check out what kind of lathes are being used in this area you'll find most to be chinese or korean, belt driven junk!!!!!!!!!
how can you produce proper results if the machine isnt capable of precision.
just alittle food for thought, my lathe is manufactured in germany and is a single production precision lathe. thought you guys would like to know. mike
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#20]
There is only one guy in town that I know worked for NASA.
There is only one guy that has a degree from a gunsmithing
school. Teaching credentials ,taught gunsmithing and has the
papers to prove it. Anybody who has knowlege of machine
technology and the machine trades industry ,knows the machinist
(I.E. the guy running the equipment) is the real reason the job turns
out. Furthermore I was wondering if you have a pickup and a set of
punches maybe ,a bunch and I do mean a bunch of guns even Hi Tech
stuff. Can anyone take a block of steel and a piece of tree or plastic,
and actuality make a gun in this town (not parts) maybe file and a drill,
Build a lathe if needed? You know like Willaims or Browning or Mauser!
Knows about metallurgy all the types of finishes and has been published
for his work. There was a teacher that said trigonometry is just  arithmetic
kid don,t let it scare you. That is how we get raises by using big words.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:11:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I assume this person would be you, by how favorably you speak of him...

and secondly, who are you, where are you located, and what are your prices for such work??

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:34:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I was just out at Fairchild you know the guys that build the space shuttle parts
and the wing spars for the stealth planes! Most of ther stuff was Yuashca I think
that is more of that Japanese crap! I called Demett services they maintain the
stuff for Northrupe Grumin and Fairchild and asked the question who makes the
best machines in the world? They told me a story about a bridge mill from Germany
I saw it to it's big big a fifty foot bed by twenty five feet wide that just the table guys.
It was the super machine can hold tolerances .0002 over the fifty feet of travel.The
head was 1,500,000 dollars alone BUT they built with Japanese machines. Ha Ha
Again so I asked well who makes the best? Rueben Demett owner of Demett services
said we do I said what? He said they build them and then we set them up to run right.
We won the war over the Germans and the Japanese with old belt drive over head
belts to boot. Guess it is the guy running the machine after all. That's the end of
my story (kids) good luck be a man bite the bullit  and that happy horse stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top