Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 8:31:00 PM EDT
So, I made it to Vegas. We got close up seats (on the arm) to Penn & Teller. End of the show..Penn: "Anyone know anything about firearms?" Ms. Coz grabs my arm and screams "He's a firearms dealer" Well, they pick me for their trick.

They pick some moron from the other side of the theatre too. They lay out a big ribbon separating the stage sides. I'm on Teller's side (short bald one).  They pull out a folding ammo pouch and ask both of us to pick one cartridge. We do. It's a remington copper jacketed .357. We then draw our initials on the bullet. They show this to the audience. Then we draw something on the shell casing, and they show that to the audience. THen, they pull out a Colt Python .357 with laser sighting.
They ask us to load them in the next chamber to be shot.

They ask us to indentify to panes of glass, mounted about head high. They are real glass..

Then they recite the "Gun Safety" mantra from Thunder Ranch.

Then they put on flak vests, goggles and helmets.

Then they shoot each other through the glass into their respective heads.

They ask me and the moron to come on stage and remain on "our side". Penn spits my bullet into my hand. Teller asks me to remove the shell casin. I do, and it's the same onE I drew and intitialed. As we were leaving, I had serveral people ask if I was a plant.  

Anyone know how they do it? I think they shoot somewhere up around the head and when they bend over to spit it into our hands, it fall from the helmet or something....

Any ideas? ..BTW,  I still have bullet and shell..
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I always figured that the laser is set to send the bullet back stage into a bullet trap, and that they have a bullet in thier mouth.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember seeing the trick revealed on the masked magician show, but don't remember a lot of the details.  The initialing of the bullet and catching it in the teeth is done with some slight of hand.  At some point the real round is palmed and a squib is substituted.  It don't know how they do it, but it happens inches from the face of the observers.  Plus, there usually is some distraction or misdirection going on.

When all summed up, its really impressive.  This reminds me of another show on the History Channel where the US government used magicians during WWII to misdirect the Germans.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats really cool, if you figure out the trick, tell me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
looked it up.
They supposed have parafin bullets..that we write on.

Backstage, someone watches and writes on a fired bullet which is placed onstage for retrieval somehow.

They put it in their mouth and spit it.

The parafin-based projectiles pierce the close up glass, then disintegrate.

I guess that's how they did it.

Very cool
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
What do they do as far as hearing protection for the audience?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top