Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 3:12:53 PM EDT
I'm getting into reloading with a Dillon RL 550B.  I want to start reloading .40 and .45, and was hoping there was someone local here I could get with to make sure I start correctly.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Gunbert, I'm going to an indoor range soon w/ that PSS I was shooting last DBS.. If you'd like I can save some more of that brass for you. Some of it is federeal gold match and some is black hill ammo.. lmk
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Gunbert, I'm going to an indoor range soon w/ that PSS I was shooting last DBS.. If you'd like I can save some more of that brass for you. Some of it is federal gold match and some is black hill ammo.. lmk

Absolutely!  I don't know what the hell I'm doing yet, but I know enough to keep that kind of brass. I intend to get a PSS myself in the future, so I'll be needing it eventually.

Tell you what, I still have a box of Black Hills .308 ammo somewhere in storage.  175 grn Moly coated, I believe.  Anyway, you give me your brass, and you can shoot that ammo and see how your rifle likes it.  Whenever I start reloading .308 I'll get with you and work up some of your old brass into some new match stuff.  

Edited to add: Also, whenever you want to stretch your rifles legs, let me know and I'll get you in at the 400+ yard ranges at Desert sportsmans.  Shooting that rifle indoors seems like a waste of ammo, unless you're just getting her on paper.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Ryan, Tom reloads, maybe give him a call if you have any questions. You will be seeing him in December for the SAR Show anyways.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ryan, Tom reloads, maybe give him a call if you have any questions. You will be seeing him in December for the SAR Show anyways.

Damn, forgot all about that!
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Edited to add: Also, whenever you want to stretch your rifles legs, let me know and I'll get you in at the 400+ yard ranges at Desert sportsmans.  Shooting that rifle indoors seems like a waste of ammo, unless you're just getting her on paper.

Sounds good man! I'm still playing with the rifle trying to get it close on paper and playing with the trigger. I'll save you the boxes and those little 'seperators' that comes with the ammo too. :]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Gunbert what equipment have you picked up?

Getting a good brass vibratory cleaner is a good place to start, with either some corncob or walnut media.  

Check midwayusa.com they have some good prices on cleaners.  

5.2 grains of win231 with a 230 grain FMJ does pretty well for 45.

Get a speer reloading manual as well.  About 20 bucks but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gunbert what equipment have you picked up?

Getting a good brass vibratory cleaner is a good place to start, with either some corncob or walnut media.  

Check midwayusa.com they have some good prices on cleaners.  

5.2 grains of win231 with a 230 grain FMJ does pretty well for 45.

Get a speer reloading manual as well.  About 20 bucks but worth every penny.

I'm trading a guy a 9mm AR for an RL 550B with 3 dies, case cleaner and separator, electronic scale, sturdy mount, bullet tray, lube, media, low primer sensor and a lot of extra stuff.  Except for some calipers, bullets and powder, it's everything I need.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Gunbert, reloading straight walled pistol cartridges is pretty easy.  If you go with the carbide dies you don't need to lube the cases.  I'd recommend you look into getting the Lee Factory Crimp die as well.

I do all my reloading at this time on a single stage press.  Currently I'm doing .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Mag, .30-06, and .223.  For shotgun I reload only for my 10 gauge.

Centerfire reloading is a little different than shotshell reloading, if you've done any of that.  Shotshell loads are loaded as the manuals indicate, however, with centerfire loading, you'll want to start low (typically 10% under max) in the powder charge and work your way up in small increments looking for signs of over-pressure.  Playing around with varying powder charges or types of primers can improve/worsen groupings, as well as working on different lengths, amount of crimp, etc.

I've been very happy with Winchester primers.  You'll find that ball powders will meter the best with the powder thrower, followed by flake powder.  Long grain stick powder may give you fits.

Shooting hard cast lead will extend your reloading dollar since they are cheaper than jacketed rounds.  Firing a mag of jacketed rounds at the end of a session will clean out most of the lead fouling.  Just don't shoot hard cast lead in a Glock.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks BroncoGlenn.  You mind if I look you up when my stuff gets here?  I'll take all the advice you have to offer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a problem.  Shoot me an IM or an email (faster) at gvmorgon at earthlink daht net.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Gunbert,  Leon at Center Mass is taking names for a formal class he is going to put on regarding re-loading.

I am on the list,  there just aren't enough people yet to hold the class.  If you are interested at all,  give him a call and put your name down on the list.

Just a thought???
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Gunbert,  Leon at Center Mass is taking names for a formal class he is going to put on regarding re-loading.

I am on the list,  there just aren't enough people yet to hold the class.  If you are interested at all,  give him a call and put your name down on the list.

Just a thought???

Oh, I didn't see this reply for a while... when is that class?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought???

Oh, I didn't see this reply for a while... when is that class?

There is no date yet because there aren't enought people on the list yet. So if you are interested,  call Center Mass and get on the list.  When there are enough people,  he will hold the class.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Ryan

Im just now set up for reloading. I just got my stuff in the mail and ill be messing around with this as well.

The one thing that all my reloading friends mentioned as a MUST have, and one thing that was already mentioned was the reloading manual. Personally i bought the Lyman manual and it walks you through everything you need to know including what to look for when firing to determine the signs of overpressure, and most of what you need to know.

My first venture will be alot of specialty stuff

I have a bunch of tracer, starburst, AP, and API ill be loading up

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/perro%20del%20diablo/20031223224751_bullets3.jpg

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Perro, It is great to see you here in the hometown!  I know you are very busy with your own site and your mod duties on the CETME board but I hope you will be a frequent contributor here too.  Thanks again for everything.  See you Saturday!

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Rick!!

And BTW, i truely appreciate you coming out to help today, and i know jeff does too!!!

To ease the mans mind i went ahead and bought it, and i wanted to call you and tell you not to come cause i was gonna do it, but you got there before i could call

Anyway, many thanks again for your time and efforts on this!!

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top