Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2003 9:16:11 PM EDT
Good bad ugly?

Indulge me-it doesn't matter at this time but just for the heck of it, would you live there if you had a decent opportunity? Assuming we got along with the being in the middle of nowhere part...
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I went to high school there and them joined the army.  Do you have a good job lined out,lovegoing home to visit and shoting thereBut when I get out i will some place bigger.  Where do you live now and do you know anyone in Austin???
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Reno. There was a slight chance I might be able to transfer to the area and was just wondering about it. I've never been there but the main attraction was to get out away from the city.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
oh ya no city life there, none!!!!!  Take a weekend and go check it out it is about a three hour drive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Born & raised in Austin..  There is allot of night life in Austin.  But there is allot of tree huggers as well..  Very Liberal..  If you go to austin drive out to the round rock/hutto/phlugerville area.  Its just north of austin.  The other option is the Kyle area.  They are out of the city & a little more relaxed.  The Traffic is a Sum-Bitch though...  I live in Dallas now & would hate to fight it down there...

If you have any questions about the area drop me a e-mail..  [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Austin NV, not TX nerd

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to get away from the city the Austin area is for you. You have to drive to Battle Mountain for groceries and what not.There is one gas station and a couple of bars.  I wouldnt mind living out there myself but my health problems require me to be real close to the hospital and doctor.....DAMMIT. If you like to explore its a great palce, old pony express stations and old ghost towns. Oh...and there is no traffic or stop lights.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Born & raised in Austin..  There is allot of night life in Austin.  But there is allot of tree huggers as well..  Very Liberal..  If you go to austin drive out to the round rock/hutto/phlugerville area.  Its just north of austin.  The other option is the Kyle area.  They are out of the city & a little more relaxed.  The Traffic is a Sum-Bitch though...  I live in Dallas now & would hate to fight it down there...

If you have any questions about the area drop me a e-mail..  [email protected]

Had me worried for a minute... LOL But thanks for the info.

Exploring sounds great! When do we start?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Believe it or not theres good fishing certain times of the year also. Pony express staions were only about 12-15 miles apart so there were alot of them out that way, Ive been to 4 of them. Indian hirogliphs also, its a pretty cool area. Some of the ghost towns are still inhabited, people and ghosts LOL. If you dont have a 4 wheel drive you will diffinately want one. Lots of history around there. They have a big party called "Gridley Days" cant remember the dates, it brings a lot of people out of the woodwork. Its a nice quite area of Nevada....Tonapah which is in the opposite direction of Battle Mountain is the only place Ive ever seen that sells guns in the local supermarket...pretty funny. Just talking about it makes me want to move LOL. Wish I could seeing as how I dont work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Old Troop u know anyone from austin??
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]
ABtrooper, no I dont, just spent some time exploring around there before I got to sick to travel. I always liked it out there, Some people wouldnt like the less inhabited areas but I love them. Ive lived in Reno for about 14 years now. Moved here from Truckee. Hey Axel, what kind of work do you do, must be mining????
theres a big open pit gold mine not to far from austin.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I work for the phone company and there was a slight chance I might have been able to work in the area. I just wanted to check things out to see if it was a good idea. Is it much more expensive to live there-food, utilities etc?

Why does anyone who knows the area have trooper in their name?

It sounds like it would be interesting to explore around down there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Dont know about rent and all but heres some pics of Austin and area.

www.landercounty.com/county/photo_austin.htm...................

www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/austin.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, the worst thing looks like I stumbled on a new place to explore. Cool pictures, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#14]
You see those great pics of austin.  I miss home but shit i have not been home in a year and a half. Like I said go there and check it out first hand.  If you have family take them with you see if they like it also.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I cruise through there about once a year.
It's had the highest gas prices before. It's a nice place though. I have never looked for houses or a job there. Not that far from Fallon, Winnemuca or Elko. Eureka is just around the corner. I'd do it if there was a good job waiting.
Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top