Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2003 8:34:49 AM EDT
Over on assaultweb, a thread has been started discussing the possibily of setting a "permanent" date for the monthly shoots.  On Saturday, several of us were talking about the pros/cons of setting a recurring date.  Most if not everyone I spoke with supported such a plan but I would like to throw it out for discussion here in the hometown board as this event belongs to everyone.

I think the pros of setting a date would include people being able to more easily adjust work schedules.  There were several "locals" out on Saturday with friends and relatives from out of town as well as people coming to visit from other states.  A set date is really necessary for people to make long range plans.  

If enough of you support this idea, the next question is when.  The only real carved in stone conflict is the 2nd weekend in each month as this is the subgun match at Desert sportsman where many DBS'ers compete seriously.  The other question is Saturday or Sunday.  Again, while Sunday may cause fewer work schedule problems, it makes it harder for people who have to travel.  Another issue brought up on the other thread is the danger of the DBS becoming an "Organized" event.  I also share this concern.  IMO, the DBS is special because it is NOT organized in the traditional sense.  It is nothing more than a bunch of people who share a common interest that get together and have fun once a month.  Presently, we are able to use purely public land that belongs to all of us and we use it with the blessing of the governing authority (BLM).  I feel a recurring date would keep this status intact as it would remove the necessity for people to "plan" each month.

There are many other pro/con aguments to this question and that is why I think we should discuss it here.

To start off the "voting", I vote for the 3rd Saturday of each month.  I pick the 3rd week since we have pick one anyway and the 3rd week basically keeps the natural flow of the shoots for the past year or so.  I pick Saturday since the travel issues are important to me as I like to have friends and family come visit for the shoots but this is just my opinion.  If picking a set date is going to work, we all have to contribute to the decision.

Thoughts????

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I VOTE 3RD TOO!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The 3rd Saturday seems good to me.  I like it a lot better now that they are on Saturdays.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I can work out with every 3rd too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever works for everyone else is fine with me...  If there is a set date every month I can make it with little hassle.  But I really want to keep it from being organized... unruly and disorganized has worked so far, I say don't mess with a good thing!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Rick, just to make sure I read your post correctly.  There is no corelation with DBS being an organized event and use of the BLM land is there?  I'm starting to think formalities and forms or something.  I like the original spirit of DBS being such and informal shoot as well.  I'm torn.......
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually Mike, there are BLM permit requirements for organized events of a certain size.  We are definately pushing the envelope with the size of the last few shoots but as long as there is no "organization" to speak of, they don't seem to care.  

I think this is another reason a set date would be helpful.  As long as we are just some guys that "Show Up" once a month, the BLM should stay on our side.

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Rickinvegas said:

Actually Mike, there are BLM permit requirements for organized events of a certain size. We are definately pushing the envelope with the size of the last few shoots but as long as there is no "organization" to speak of, they don't seem to care.

By setting a date only a month ahead and by consensus, we could say this is just what it is "a group of friends getting together once in a while."

While it is fairly easy to say, usually the shoot is on the 3rd sat of the month, we do on occasion set other days.  As long as there is no set date nobody can claim that is organized.  This would be different from a group of friends deciding on when and where to meet.

Of course we need to pick up our brass, take our trash out and keep the place fairly clean.  

Once we are organized we encounter a whole lot of bs that I think we would like to avoid.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I know that my new job schedule is Sun - Thu.  Third Saturday of the month will definitely work for me.  I really don't know what "event" you're talking about.  I may now know that if I show up on public land on a particular day, there may be a few like-minded individuals who happen to show up at the same time.  If they do, great.  If not, oh well.  I just might still exercise my consitutionally protected pastime by myself.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Once we are organized we encounter a whole lot of bs that I think we would like to avoid

I am confused longgun, are you saying that all of us spending 2 weeks arguing every month about a date is LESS organized than just showing up the 3rd Saturday of each month without any prior discussion?

I am still not clear on your vote.

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Just curious,  is the Sloan area BLM land?  If so,  isn't it very sad that they would try to control a group of friends gathering out in the middle of the friggin' DESERT.  It's the DESERT,  and it's OUR desert,  not theirs.  I hate this shit.

By the way,  I'm free any day of the month as I work for myself.  I can always give myself the day off.  LOL
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If so,  isn't it very sad that they would try to control a group of friends gathering out in the middle of the friggin' DESERT.  It's the DESERT,  and it's OUR desert,  not theirs.  I hate this shit.

Just so there is no misunderstanding......

The BLM is cool with everything!  No one is saying we can't do what we want.

I only brought them up because they do have a permit requirement for certain events.  Ours would not be one of them.

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am confused longgun, are you saying that all of us spending 2 weeks arguing every month about a date is LESS organized than just showing up the 3rd Saturday of each month without any prior discussion?

Rick - that goes to show the level of organization. Or rather that DBS is unorganized and as such should be free of any permit or other regulations.  
Now if we all happen to show up on a specific day of the month -- say the 3rd Saturday of the month which we commonly do, that's fine with me.  On occasion though we have varied the date to accomodate some people and setting a firm day of the month would lessen out ability to accomodate these special occasions and I feel declare us an organized group.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I know many of you frequent the Assultweb board along with this one but for those who don't, here is the link to the thread over there discussing the "Date" issue.

www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000731

I think it is important for everyone to know what everyone is saying on the issue.

Lets try to come to an agreement by this weekend if we can.  I know some people are already planning to go out on the 18th.

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]
My shooting plans will be on the 3rd Saturday of the month at Sloan for at least the rest of the year. If I run into some of you out there, GREAT. My new work schedule will most likely prevent me from arriving until around 1:30, but I'll be there. We've had a VERY difficult time agreeing on a date for several months now, and I for one welcome the knowledge that a few of my friends may be there on the same day as me. Yes, there will be days that I'll miss just like everyone else, but that's the way life is.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Mrs. Different and I like to target shoot at the Sloan gravel pit.  Sometimes our friends can make it, sometimes not. We usually shoot once a month on the weekend after the 15th.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top