Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2003 12:05:21 AM EDT
Coming Tuesday I'll be moving to a new home in Reno. Fortunately it's an "in-town' move...

Here's my story:
My new neighbors seem to be pretty nice people BUT they just recently moved to NV from the 'Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornistan'. The guy across the street from the Lake Tahoe area and the other party is from the Bay-Area. Best case scenario they have a .22 single shot rifle, worst case scenario they are rabid antis.
It shouldn't take them long to figure out that I like guns (NRA and Nevada Rifle and Pistol Association stickers on my car...).

Here's my problem:
How do I approach the folks if they ask without pi$$ing them off. After all, they're my neighbors and I'd rather convert them to pro-gun folks (if neccessary)!

Here's my question:
Does anybody here have any experience with this? Any and all hints, pointers and help are appreciated.

Disclaimer: I know that some people in the PDRK are victims of the politics of the Bay-area and So-Cal.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

LRdrvr

P.S.: Don't just tell me to take 'em to the range... I know that much! But how do I get them to that point? Thanks again...

Edited to correct a typo...
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anybody here have any experience with this? Any and all hints, pointers and help are appreciated.

I think all of us have had this experience at one time or another.  Firstly, when it comes down to it, I could care less what my neighbors think.  I am not doing anything illegal so if they have a problem IT'S THEIR PROBLEM not mine.
Second, I have found that nothing makes a better statement than just being matter-of-fact about exercising our 2nd ammendment rights.  For example, when I am getting ready to go out to a shoot, I don't "hide" my gun cases while I am loading up the truck (actually, I have met a couple of neighbors this way as they usually stop and want to talk guns).  If I want to show my neighbor (who is pro gun) a new rifle, hell, I just walk accross the the street with it.  Again, we are doing nothing wrong so why should we act like it?

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
i would bring it up in a conversation if you could, like when you meet them. Tell them where the local markets, gyms, schools, and oh yeah, shooting ranges are, and measure the reaction.

I used to do the open and obvious gun carrying..until found out my next door neighbor was on parole for Burglary and Ex Felon possession of firearm. Now i am very discrete--residential burglaries are a full time job for lots of kids around town.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
HIJACK!!!

Does LR stand for Land Rover? Do much wheeling? I've got a '96 Cruiser myself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If they left it was either for 1 of several reasons.  Most likely money.  I think I would ask them straight out and see if they like to shoot.  then let them know where they can shoot.  You may be surprised.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

RickInVegas, I completely agree. I don't hide my guns either when I'm on my way to the range. My intent was to get a couple of hints of how to approach the topic without ticking my new neighbors off. Don't wanna fuel the potential fire. Just want to get off to a good start. After all, I'm convinced that most antis are antis because of a lack of familiarisation with firearms. So, my intent is not to shock 'em but to guide 'em in the right direction. If all fails...it's their problem... too bad for them! :)

chiz45, LR stands for Lear Jet. I used to fly a Lear before moving on to greener pastures. Still, it was a fun plane to fly... :)

longun45, let's hope it'll be a pleasant surprise... :)

Again, thank you for your replies gentlemen.

LRdrvr
Reno, NV

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]
btw, i defected from the bay area, Kalistan 5 years ago...so we're not ALL bad!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Defected also from San Diego, Kalifornia 5 years ago.

Cheers, Badnews_III
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
btw, i defected from the bay area, Kalistan 5 years ago...so we're not ALL bad!

And you brag about that?.......Phfft!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Sacramento over 3 years ago, GO BACK, NEVER!!!!

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't bring it up right away yourself.  Let them get to know you first, and then once they see you're not a nutjob, THEN you can bring it up.

If they bring it up before that, just be honest, but don't go all anti-government "WHAT DON'T THEY UNDERSTAND ABOUT SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?" on them.  Even if that's the way you really feel.  :)  

Here's some simple things to get them thinking, if they're neutral or anti.  
Ask them if they wear a seatbelt when they're in a car.  Does that mean they're planning on getting into an accident, or WANT to get into an accident?  Of course not.  Just because I have a fire extinguisher in my house doesn't mean I want my house to catch fire.  
Do they want to wait for 911/cops while an intruder is attacking them?
Rights are like muscles; if you don't exercise them, they atrophy.

Here's the biggest thing for you to remember:  Don't try to convert them into rabid pro-2A NRA Lifers.  You'll probably only scare them off.  Just try to give them enough information to see your side of the debate.  If they can think logically, they'll convert themselves.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Well said Dan.. Its easy to look like a nutjob when your passionate about anything. Like religion, politics, etc, and etc.. So keep it mellow and you should do fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Let them bring it up.  Be helpful om everything else, but don't surprise them.  

We had a relatively new neighbor, that mentioned that a policeman moved in.  wondered if it was safe to let her kids play over there if he leaves guns out.  Didn't think anybody else in the neighborhood had any guns.  Answer "Well my brother and cousin are real careful with theirs when the boys are around.  My husband has taught them what to do if the run across them at other house.  Oh you don't recognize NRA stickers on cars and trucks do you?"  "Why" "Well there are at least a half dozen NRA members around and you haven't heard or seen anything bad since you got here after them have you?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top