Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 7:09:46 AM EDT
I'm coming from the Middle East to NAS Fallon. Is anyone familiar with the CCW laws for active duty? Any info on Fallon and the area in general would be appreciated. Thanks, df
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to know about Fallon?

I used to work there a few years ago, selling cars at the AutoMall...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Just some basics would help. Is there places to shoot? What is the cost of rent? How about the cost of living? Are there any chics to be found? Good restaurants? Gunshows? Movie theatre? You know, just soem stuff to get me started. I chose this duty station and I don't know the first thing about it. There is no transition office here so I going there blind. Thanks, df
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The Blue Angels are stationed there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Places to shoot? Most of the land in NV is federal, and most of it you can shoot in. From Fallon, you would have to travel no more than 10 minutes to be able to shoot.

Gunshows - Reno, has a couple of large ones every year.

Cost of living isn't to bad, but it depends on where you are coming from. Rent can be good or bad, depending on what you want.

There are chickie snacks all over, but be careful of the ages, Reno is an hour away, with all the night life you could want.

Resturants, they have a few chains and a couple local joints. If you want classy, it is Reno.

They have a one screen movie theatre in town, I don't know if they have anything on base, but Reno has 2 or 3 new media plex's
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like I'll be driving to Reno on a regular basis. What part of Colorado are you in, Dave? I grew up there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I am in Evans, on the south side of Greeley.

We may be relocating to Reno in a couple of weeks. I put in a resume for a position out at NAS Fallon, but no reply yet.

Actually I like Fallon a lot, I would live there if I could find some work there. It is a pretty good town overall. But then again I am partial to rural living. They have a great hospital there, I think it is a level 1 or 2 trauma center. People in the town are pretty laid back, and they seem to treat the military pretty well.

If I do end up in Reno, we'll have to get together.

dave
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to live in Brighton. I loved Colorado. As a matter of fact, my girlfriend is still there. When I get settled in I'll send for her.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I think that the theater in Fallon has two screens?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
It is real small I think only srceen. If I was you I would get a spotlight and shoot rabbits at night or maybe if you get in good with a farmer he will let you shot ground squirrels.
Before I joined the Army I lived in a small town east of fallon named Austin. Reno is only a hour away go there to party!!!!! Let me know how thing work out

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
AUSTIN?

My wife stopped in there some years back, said she went into the local beer joint to use the ladies room, and everybody stared at her, coming in and leaving. Said it was weird, almost X-Files like....

My BIL and his huntin partner go out there to shoot squirrels, I haven't been there yet myself.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there a pistol range around somewhere? Where is a good place to stay, i.e. apartment complex?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Range?

You don't need no stenkin ranges, you have thousands upon thousands of uncle sam's acres to play on!

They may have a range on base, don't know for sure. Not sure about any ranges in the general area.

I do recall a new liquor store on the west side of town, and I think a gunshop went in there too. Almost forgot about that, it went in right after I stopped working in fallon.

There are apts, but I didn't live right in Fallon, I commuted about 35 miles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Austin is like that when someone is a outsider.  Small town BS what Bar was it??

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
It was over ten years ago, so she can't remember.

I thought it was funny when she told me about it.

You going back when you get out?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Hell no cool to visit and shoot up the mountain side but hardly any jobs maybe Reno. only ONE year to go!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top