Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 5:31:40 AM EDT
From Joe:

From: "Line of Fire, LLC/Joe Nizzari" <[email protected]>  
To: <[email protected]>
CC:
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:24:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: PLEASE NOTE THIS IMPORTANT LVMPD CCW/FINGERPRINT BUREAU INFORMATION.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINE OF FIRE, LLC

Professional Firearms Instruction

Law Enforcement/Military/Civilian

3850 East Flamingo, #154, Las Vegas, Nevada 89121

Phone (702) 242-8288 e-mail: [email protected]

Dear Nevada Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) Applicants, Nevada CCW Renewal Applicants, and out-of-state Nevada CCW Applicants:

Below are notices that I have received from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) in regards to the relocation of the LVMPD Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) Detail, and the LVMPD Fingerprint Bureau.  

I strongly suggest that you take note of the information, and if you have any business with these entities, you call the respective Bureaus if you have any questions regarding the closures, dates, relocations, and scheduling for your CCW permit.  

NOTE: As always, I encourage all of my students to file their paperwork in a timely manner. Please be aware that the State of Nevada has a  ONE YEAR time limit on filing. That one year 'clock' starts from the day you successfully complete your CCW course and your paperwork is signed by an approved instructor.

I hope this information will be useful to you.

Be Safe.

Joe Nizzari

Director/Lead Instructor

Line of Fire, LLC

ANNOUNCEMENT

May 27, 2003

NOTICE OF CONCEALED WEAPONS DETAIL CLOSURE

The Concealed Weapons Detail will be closed July 9 - 11, 2003. The Concealed Weapons detail is moving from its current location at 400 E. Stewart Street to 5880 Cameron Street. (The new building is located one block South of the intersection at Russell and Cameron.) We will reopen for business at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 14, 2003.

During the time we are closed, concealed firearms permits and other services will not be provided. Any questions regarding the closure can be answered by calling (702) 229-3996 until 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 8, 2003.

LVMPD Fingerprint Bureau Closure
The Fingerprint Bureau will be closed June 2-6, 2003. The Fingerprint Bureau is moving from its current location at 601 Fremont Street to 5880 Cameron Street, one block south of the intersection at Russell and Cameron. We will reopen for business at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, June 9,2003.

During the week we are closed, work cards will not be issued and permanent work cards will not be provided. Only in emergency situations will the Fingerprint staffbe able to assist in providing temporary means for individuals who are required to obtain work cards. Also, we will be unable to process summons or provide service for those seeking fingerprints for miscellaneous purposes. Temporary registrations and changes of addresses for convicted persons will continue at the Police Records Bureau at City Hall.

Questions regarding this information can be answered by calling 229-3271 up to 4:00 p.m. on Friday, May 30, 2003. After that, questions regarding work cards, fingerprinting, or registrations can be answered by calling 348-5704 or 348-5705.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#1]
hopefully the lines will improve. When i first got my CCW, and then when i added guns, both times took quite a while to get the prints and pictures.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The line have improved, since they eliminated the Non-Gaming work card.

Tom
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to get re-printed to add a weapon to a CCW card?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish you would have posted that a couple of days ago. My wife and I went downtown to turn in our CCW paperwork day before yesterday to find out the fingerprint office is closed for a week. We got the rest of it turned in and they were very helpful, especially Sam the retired LA cop that works in there, but still have to make another trip to the fingerprint office now when it opens to finish it up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You have to get re-printed to add a weapon to a CCW card?

Not fingerprinted but a new photo I believe.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]
oops, you're right, just pics.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
not to hijack the thread, but on a related topic.  I called The Gun Store (where I am taking my CCW class today at 8:30 Sat.)  One of the guys says I have to qualify at 3,7, and 15 yds.  The owner of Discount told me state mandated is only 3 and 7 yds. and he doesn't teach or require 15 yds. at his class then mentioned liability and murder etc....what did you guys have to do when you got yours?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
not to hijack the thread, but on a related topic.  I called The Gun Store (where I am taking my CCW class today at 8:30 Sat.)  One of the guys says I have to qualify at 3,7, and 15 yds.  The owner of Discount told me state mandated is only 3 and 7 yds. and he doesn't teach or require 15 yds. at his class then mentioned liability and murder etc....what did you guys have to do when you got yours?

The test as required by the Nevada Chiefs' and Sheriffs' Asscociation is 6 rounds at 3 yards, 12 rounds at 5 yards, and 12 rounds at 7 yards at aBR-27 target, no time limit, 70% or better required to pass. Five shot revolvers are 5/3yd, 10/5yd, 10/7yd.

TGS chooses to use the outdated/replaced  requirement which was also a timed event.

You'll have to ask them why.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Took my Concealed Firearem Training  Permit Class at TGS.  Instructor: Sgt. Bill Eaton of the Boulder City Police Department/ NRA Firearms Instructor.

All day class.  Timed qualification

@ 3yds:
6 shots strong hand/5 revolver
6 shots weak hand/5 revolver
60 second time limit including reloading time

@ 7yds:
12 shots both hands supporting weapon Isosceles or Weaver.

@ 15 yds:
12 shots both hands supporting weapon Isosceles or Weaver.

highest possible score: 360
minimum required to qualify for your weapon: 252

Since I have no sense of what a minute feels like I shot like a machine gun and reloaded like my life depended on it.  Thus I was the first to finish and thus the okay score:

1911 .45 ACP 313/360 = 86%
XD40 .40S&W 301/360 = 84%

Not great, but some in my class did not qualify even in slow fire mode (Figured these guys get way more practice then I do by their impression I got of them)

I'm just thankful the lanes were available considering it was a busy busy Saturday there with all the tourists and taxi cabs pulling up.

Robert Eaton is a no nonsense instructor and conducted a good class.

I applied for the all inclusive UT, NV, and FL permit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Mike, my friends wife was in your class, a Philipino woman, her name was Ali.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Jim Mayhugh, I took one of your CCW classes out by Blue Diamond.  Are you still doing all of the qualify at 15 yards?  Also where are you now having classes?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Jim Mayhugh, I took one of your CCW classes out by Blue Diamond.  Are you still doing all of the qualify at 15 yards?  Also where are you now having classes?

I do the qualification COF as I outlined above. I'm doing mostly private classes at the moment, but I occasionally do group classes at Spurlock's Gun Shop.

I'm also preparing to do a more comprehensive CCW class that will be run entirely at the Boulder Range.

If it's OK with the powers that be here, I'll post an announcement when it's ready, or you can check at my website.

I'm also working on running a combined combatives (empty hand, knife, gun, FOF) match on a regular basis at BRPC.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mike, my friends wife was in your class, a Philipino woman, her name was Ali.

Oh, the Tea Shop lady!  I'm proud of her.  She was all nervous because she never practiced weak handed and only knew "teacup-saucer" grip and never reloaded her own magazines before.  We all encouraged her and she qualified.  I was suprised other people in our class (men) who owned guns for years and talked that way, didn't qualify.  Nice lady.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
HI!! This is Reagan1's wife, "The Tea Lady" Thanks for the kind words. Yup I sure was nervous but you and the other guys really did help me by encouraging me that I could do it and I did...I was sweating bullets :)
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
HI!! This is Reagan1's wife, "The Tea Lady" Thanks for the kind words. Yup I sure was nervous but you and the other guys really did help me by encouraging me that I could do it and I did...I was sweating bullets :)

You still gonna keep the Glocks? Or are you going for another gun?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Went to CCW Detail today.  That was the easy part.

The new fingerprint bureau location on Cameron was terrible in terms of wait time.  I know they only opened up 2 days ago (Mon. 6/9).  My total time spent there today was 4.5 hrs.  They have a cool computer that takes your fingerprints and they have a digital photo camera posted on the ceiling when they take your pictures.  They transfer the computer image of your prints on to the traditional blue fingerprint cards.  Hopefully, the lines will clear up in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
4.5 hours?!?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]
We're going to keep it for a while, but I think MY next gun will be something else.  I hope to talk to Bob Eaton about it when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We're going to keep it for a while, but I think MY next gun will be something else.  I hope to talk to Bob Eaton about it when I get a chance.

Try the Springfield XD series of guns.  Since Sgt. Eaton talked so much about the safety features on guns, the XD9 or XD40 (the other gun I used to qualify on Saturday) have good safety features and to me have a better feel than a Glock.  The grips are easier for your hands to wraparound.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Try the Springfield XD series of guns.  

Nooooo!  Don't try the XD gun if you want the XD sub-compact!  I'm trying to find one and there just aint enough of them to go around!  Don't need somebody else in the marketplace for them!  That's competition!  

The XD full-size I tried on felt good.  Has a 1911 grip angle.  Has the Glock trigger safety, but also has a 1911 style grip safety.  Striker status and loaded chamber indicators.  Like a Glock, it can not re-strike a round.  Reportedly, the finish on the XD is not as durable as that on the Glock.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Try the Springfield XD series of guns.  

Nooooo!  Don't try the XD gun if you want the XD sub-compact!  I'm trying to find one and there just aint enough of them to go around!  Don't need somebody else in the marketplace for them!  That's competition!  

The XD full-size I tried on felt good.  Has a 1911 grip angle.  Has the Glock trigger safety, but also has a 1911 style grip safety.  Striker status and loaded chamber indicators.  Like a Glock, it can not re-strike a round.  Reportedly, the finish on the XD is not as durable as that on the Glock.

Bronco,

Call Bills Buy and sell and order one....I may want a subcompact too....LOL!

Edit to add:

Bronco,

I saw your other post in the other thread with the backorder with Springfield.....man that sucks...I want one too.  4" and 5" barrels are getting annoying for my around the house carry...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I can confirm the wait time at the fingerprint office. MJ and I just got back from there and it was every bit of 4 and a half hours. I was pissed. To top it off the bitches working there give you some attitude while you're waiting. I was almost finished, prints done, waiting for my picture in the back room and standing next to my wife who was sitting. This bitch tells me I have to sit in "their area". I reply Ive been there 4 hours and I don't feel like sitting, I'm standing. She threatens my with calling over a supervisor and I reply fine, I'd like to talk to a suprvisor. To make a long story short, I tell the supervisor how unaccectable it is for this 20 minute max process to take over 4 hours and I'm not sitting. Period. She just says they're doing the best they can and that its their policy for you to sit. I remain standing. I get my picture done and blast out of there. What a bunch of incompetant bitches they have working in there. Its unbelievable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I can confirm the wait time at the fingerprint office. MJ and I just got back from there and it was every bit of 4 and a half hours. I was pissed. To top it off the bitches working there give you some attitude while you're waiting. I was almost finished, prints done, waiting for my picture in the back room and standing next to my wife who was sitting. This bitch tells me I have to sit in "their area". I reply Ive been there 4 hours and I don't feel like sitting, I'm standing. She threatens my with calling over a supervisor and I reply fine, I'd like to talk to a suprvisor. To make a long story short, I tell the supervisor how unaccectable it is for this 20 minute max process to take over 4 hours and I'm not sitting. Period. She just says they're doing the best they can and that its their policy for you to sit. I remain standing. I get my picture done and blast out of there. What a bunch of incompetant bitches they have working in there. Its unbelievable.

Yeah they couldn't find their ass if their head was stuck up in it. But, for a transition, and being open very recently and looking like they were getting used to new equipment.....baaah who am I kidding.  I'm not defending them.  I think some people that were there the day I was there were more heated then you were....that's what made me look over my back every minute or so. Someone was cursing out loud saying they want to blow up the place, another was getting arrested on an outstanding warrant.  Another was talking to anybody who sat in the open seat next to her all crazy drivel.  Another was talking about making full auto semi autos...WTF!!!

Plus, the workeres weren't discrete about why you are getting your prints either.  For example, when they called my number to pay, they said out loud and read from the paper that they gave me almost in verbatim starting with "Now for your CONCEALED FIREARMS PERMIT....."  Imagine the stares I got in that crowded room.

And that's another thing!  You use your number 4 times.  One for paper work check, then sit down, wait, then for fingerprints, then sit down, wait, then to take your spiffy digital camera pic, then sit down, wait, then go pay!!!

Anyway, I feel you man.  I hope it gets more efficient as the weeks go along.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Man, glad i live up north...

Combined wait time for pics, photos, and card: 25 minutes.

Walked in, filled out paperwork, handed them mine Total time: 5 mins.  Lady asked me to sit and i thought "here we go".  Before i hit the seat she called me back and said "Oh, are you ready for your prints?" and i was like "sure" (10 more mins).  She sent me back to the waiting room.

I thought "HERE... is the wait".  Another 2 minute walk and she called me again for photos! Went back to sit and a minute later she called my name and said simply "Here is your card sir, here are a copy of the local laws, and here is a receipt for your check. Have a nice day"

I was like "Thats it?"

Was rather nice...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#25]
That's exactly how it should be here too. I think we all ought to write Sherrif Young and let him know how unacceptable this process is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Is it possible for us Las Vegas folks to do this anywhere in the state? Maybe a trip to Tonopah or Mesquite might be in order.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Is it possible for us Las Vegas folks to do this anywhere in the state? Maybe a trip to Tonopah or Mesquite might be in order.

Sorry Wolf, the law specifically states that the issuing authority has to be the sherriff in the county you reside in.  I checked it out last year before I got mine.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Mesquite is Clark County, Tonopah is Nye I believe. I almost went to the Mesquite DMV to avoid the long Vegas DMV lines but got lucky and didn't have to wait too long. Does anyone know if a CCW can be had in Mesquite?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Man, I'm glad I got my CCW taken care of years ago!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't think we can get one from Mesquite.  The applications can be picked up there, but from what I've seen they need to be turned in in Vegas.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#31]
All Clark County applications must be turned in in person at the CCW detail, which is currently located in City Hall, downtown Las Vegas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top