Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 9:15:51 PM EDT
Can any of you Reno residents point me to a gun shop in Reno that sells .223 tracer ammo?  Will be camping in the desert and thinking that it'll be fun to shoot some tracers in the evening.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
First thought, you might want to be very careful about shooting tracers in the summertime. Even if you are careful about their use, a park ranger might have different ideas. See wolfpack's thread where it seems BLM is in the process of developing usage policies for vast areas of the state. You don't want to get someones attention! My next suggestion would be:

The July gunshow in Reno

As far as gunshops, I've only been in town a few months but I have a couple of opinions. The Gun Traders on Plumb lane seem to be friendly and knowledgeable, none of the ego or invincible ignorance that plagues the business. I will be using them for all my transfers. Now in town there seems to be a bizarre guns-Oh wait, that's their name. DevilsAdvocate and I went in there. He must be a reject from the used car business. I won't darken his doorway a second time. Just to head off any questions, according to him, new residents have to wait three months to buy a gun. No ifs, ands, or butts about it. (I didn't). Maybe he got it mixed up with the rules for getting a hunting license. Want to pay $7000 plus for an UZI? See him. If you buy a new Beretta from him, check to make sure that you get all the grips that come from the factory and when he's done swapping the grips that he's going to keep, that he put the washers in that keep the grip screws from tightening down on the magazine and lock it into the frame. I'm told there are lots of stories like this. Be sure to look at his yellow pages ad- He'll beat any deal!

Edit:
My answer wasn't very helpful so I picked up the phone and guess what-tracers are illegal. Sorry.

Edit:
See  NRS 476.070 It may have a loophoole for BLM land so do your homework first. BLM may have its own rules also.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Axel,

Bizzare Guns used to be a lot better, but I agree with your assessment as of late.

Gun Trader, oh man, if that is your idea of knowedgeable and friendly, I would hate to see where you shopped before. The owner is the most conceited sob and brash asshole I have met in a long time. I go in there, every time I am in town, just to see if anything has changed, never does and I am always pissed by the time I leave the store. If it wasn't for the fact that the fat guy is a jerk, everything is MSRP, and he charges outrageous prices for surplus ammo. It might be a nice store.

Guns ETC, on Rock and Greg, isn't too bad.

Silver State used to be pretty good, but the old owner sold it off and the new guy has money but no business sense, esp the gun business.

There is a realitively new shop in the shopping center in Lemon Valley, the older guy in there seems to be a pretty good guy. Very little selection, but the guy is hungry if you know what I mean, he will order anything for you.

Shooters Shack, on Wells, seems to be pretty nice, but little selection, check his prices for transfers. He also carries RRA lowers.

There is another shop in Carson City, right on 395 in a strip mall, can't remember the name, but they aren't really salesmen, just a couple of good old boys, they almost ignore you. I did see a couple of pre-ban AR's there for under $1k

Carson Armory is a nice place, lots of selection, Harry is a really good guy, has an indoor range and a cafe in the back. The shop is in Mound House on Hwy50 just out side of Carson City.

All of them have higher prices then I can find here, but I may not have any other choice if I move back to the Reno area.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Axel,

Bizzare Guns used to be a lot better, but I agree with your assessment as of late.

Gun Trader, oh man, if that is your idea of knowedgeable and friendly, I would hate to see where you shopped before. The owner is the most conceited sob and brash asshole I have met in a long time. I go in there, every time I am in town, just to see if anything has changed, never does and I am always pissed by the time I leave the store. If it wasn't for the fact that the fat guy is a jerk, everything is MSRP, and he charges outrageous prices for surplus ammo. It might be a nice store.

Well, I haven't been around too much but they were cool to me. I watched them dealing with newbie customers and didn't see any problems. As far as prices go, the retail floor wasn't  anything to jump hoops over-decent selection, but when I had them do my last transfer, they charged me $25 for the transfer and $15 for the NICS.  Now understand, all the dealers I'd known of or been using back in California, one that was an inconvenient distance away was %10, a couple were %15, and most were %20. That was commission on a gun you purchased, paid the seller, and had shipped to the dealer, who had no money at risk or inventory issues etc. Strictly providing a service. I get out here to Nevada and yes I'm thrilled to find a deal like that.  But I'm eager to hear from anybody who's been around.

Guns ETC, on Rock and Greg, isn't too bad.

Silver State used to be pretty good, but the old owner sold it off and the new guy has money but no business sense, esp the gun business.

There is a realitively new shop in the shopping center in Lemon Valley, the older guy in there seems to be a pretty good guy. Very little selection, but the guy is hungry if you know what I mean, he will order anything for you.

Shooters Shack, on Wells, seems to be pretty nice, but little selection, check his prices for transfers. He also carries RRA lowers.

There is another shop in Carson City, right on 395 in a strip mall, can't remember the name, but they aren't really salesmen, just a couple of good old boys, they almost ignore you. I did see a couple of pre-ban AR's there for under $1k

Carson Armory is a nice place, lots of selection, Harry is a really good guy, has an indoor range and a cafe in the back. The shop is in Mound House on Hwy50 just out side of Carson City.

All of them have higher prices then I can find here, but I may not have any other choice if I move back to the Reno area.

I've been in a couple of those and will check out the others. Kind of moot for a while because I won't be buying for at least a year[>Q]

What area are you in now where all the deals are?

edit spelling.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I could'nt agree more with thedave1164 on the Gun Trader store Fat Frank is a complete ass!no wonder he carries on the premises.Echoes on The Shooter Shack and Silver State and yes Bizzare Gun lives up to it's name!Babble nonsense 7-11 Store chili dog flake!,don't even bother unless you crave a free freak show.

Hiwathl
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, i had good luck with Bizarre Gun.  The folks in there ARE odd, but they were very helpful.  It was my first handgun and i was looking at the H&K pistols and he said "Well, if this is your first one, then you should pick up and handle any one you may have an interest in, just dont buy a brand or high-price because YOU are going to need to be comfortable with this.  Your life depends on it".

So, i went through a lot and we talked about caliber, size, he even let me put a few in concealed holsters to see if it worked for me.  Out of it i picked up a Glock 23 and have been so happy he talked me out of the H&K and Beretta.  

The Shooter's Shack i did a transfer for my Eagle Arms M4A2.  I paid like $80 for the transfer thinking it was a standard cost.  Oh nooooooo it is not.  The only good thing about that place is that they carry XM193 ammo on sale...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, btw... shameless plug for my FAVORITE gun shop in the WORLD...

www.cmmginc.com

its not in state, but its a great place for some nice stuff!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as out of state FFL transfers are concerned....

If you guys don't mind driving to Carson City then check out Liberty Jewelry & Loan (210 South Carson Street CC, NV 89701 T: 775-882-1066). They charge $10 for the transfer and seem to be nice folks to deal with. I just used them for a transfer last month. The owner also mentioned that he would order guns for dealer price + 10%. Guess I'll call him next time for a quote.

LRdrvr
Reno
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Ouch on the shooter shack Xfer, my FIL was under the impression that they were a good deal, that ain't good, it's great for them.....

Well, it looks like I will have to check them all out again, since I am moving back in a few weeks.

I have enough ammo to last for a while, it will have to last until I get a job.

I was shopping at a shop in Colorado, while I have lived here. Glocks $479 ArmaLite M15A2 $799 and the like.....XM193 $88.99 per 500 .45 FMJ 9.95 per 50, 7.62X39 wolf $92.99 per 1K

So it will be gunshows, Miwall and the like or mail order.

Maybe they will build a sportsmans warehouse there......
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I mentioned this to DevilsAdvocate and another friend I sent to Gun Trader, they seconded the Alpha Hotel sentiment. I found that shop in lemon valley, "coming soon" and still moving in the furniture. When I poked around in Silver State, I found a Universal M1 labeled "Plainfield". I pointed it out to the owner, I think it was an honest mistake. He also had a Inland for $499 if anyone is looking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top