Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2003 3:05:48 PM EDT
...in and around the vegas area? if so, got any good trails to share? i've been around the base of Mt. Charleston and in the Sloan areas, and had some fun. Just looking for more routes to try out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I am into off roading. Nothing radical, just exploring the Nevada back country. Living in Pahrump, I do most of my off road driving pretty far North of Las Vegas.
Have you gone over Wheeler Pass ?
Have you driven up Mt. Potesi ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
i haven't done either! A cousin of mine is into it too, has a TJ with 35's. I don't do the serious rock rock crawling, but like you, exploring. The farthest north i've tried this is just north of Pahrump, across from the 'Accomodation" houses.

what type of rig u runnin'?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, Wheeler pass is a staple. You drive up to Cold Creek (North from Las Vegas on US95, just before you come to Indian Springs); you turn right at the Indian Springs prison. Drive out that road toward the Cold Creek community. Before reaching Cold Creek itself you come to a fork in the road; I believe there is a falling down concrete building there. Keep to the left, the right fork takes you to the houses at Cold Creek. You will go through a creek. On the other side you should see where other people have continued on up the hill. If you continue up the hill, you will drive over the mountain and eventually come out in Pahrump.
Mt. Potesi: Drive down I:15 to Jean. Exit at Jean and turn right. Continue on to the little town out there (I don't remember what it is called. Off to the right, behind the houses are numerous dirt roads. Through trial and error, you will find one that takes you up the mountain. The road is steep and rough. But, you will go up to somewhere around 12,000 feet.
Another staple is Lovel Canyon road.  Drive out highway 160 toward Pahrump. You cross over the mountain and start down the other side. You will come to a road off to the right that has a sign saying Lovel Canyon. Turn there. This is a relatively short trip that will take you through some nice scenery. Keep to the left as you drive up the road.  The dirt road will go up in the mountains and come down back on HWY 160 through Carpenter Canyon. There is some way on this road to come out at Red Rock Canyon, but I don't know where it is.
This should give you a few weekends of fun. I can give you more as time goes on. Of course every one of these roads has countless other roads off the main road to explore. The high altitude roads are great on the summer to get out of the heat. It is still hot, but not super hot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Any of you guys interested in a 33" BFG Mud Terrain on a brand new rim? I used to have a '91 Toyota 4x4 and it was going to be my spare, never used and it still has the blue on the writing on the sidewall. Send me an IM or email and come pick it up, I gotta get my garage cleaned up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll take the wheel! i have a 31" spare, 33"s on my ride.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll take the wheel! i have a 31" spare, 33"s on my ride.

I emailed you back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Chiz45 can't take it, the wheel is 15" and he needs a 16"....come on someone throw me a few USGI's and take this thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#8]
444, are any of the charcoal kilns still standing? the last time I went over the pass there was 1 out of the 3 still up and it looked like it was only a matter of time before it would collapse.
Has anyone made it to Alamo via Sheep Mountain?
It looks like it would be a good trek.
Tom
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Figures... I just sell my Wrangler and now I have guys from the board who want to go 'wheelin.

I've got a new Cherokee now, but she's bone stock and needs a lift, but I'll come out if you put something together.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#10]
LoL Gunbert...i actually got rid of my TJ last year to get the wife her station wagon!

I am new at off roading, and will driving an unlifted ride (for now) as well. i'll see who else we can round up for this. I would of course like to start slow (and keep the body damage to a minimum the first few times).
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in a couple of clubs here in town.  Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers (www.vegasvalley4wheelers.com) and Total Karnage (www.totalkarnage.net).  

The back road into Red Rock has gotten super easy.  It used to be washed out, but somebody went and fixed it up and spoiled all the fun.  Now you can get any grocery getting stock 4x4 through it.

As for what I ride, it's an 89 Bronco with 35s.  Currently waiting for Eaton to release the E-Locker for my rear end so I can get a little more crazy on the rocks.  Also have a F-350 crew cab 4x4 that is the assigned tow rig for the Bronco, although I'm still waiting to get a trailer.  Otherwise the F-350 is limited to light trails for hunting an such since it is stock and I've no intention of lifting it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top