Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2022 4:26:00 PM EDT
L&M Fleet Supply, a MN based Fleet Farm type store , has a new store open in Rhinelander. They have 8 stores in MN, and this is their 3rd in WI. Others here are in Hayward and Ashland. They haven't had an official grand opening in Rhinelander yet, and are still setting up displays and stocking shelves, but they are open. Wife and i were in town today, saw the full parking lot and "open" sign lit up in entrance, so we went inside (I've been anticipating this for 6 months at least). I was not disappointed at all.

I went straight to the sporting goods. Guns!!! And more guns!! And Ammo!!! More ammo than I've seen anywhere in years!! What's this? Primers! Large rifle, small rifle, in CCI. Large Pistol in CCI and Federal. Small pistol in Federal. Yes, small pistol, on a shelf, for sale. I must be dreaming.

I got the last two 100-pks of the small pistol. 5 minutes later, I'm going back past that cabinet again,  and its been restocked with 20 more 100-pks. All primers were $6.99... higher than pre-covid days, but i've seen them much higher lately.. and beggars can't be choosers. I think i found a new favorite store.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The only primers I've seen in a couple of years are from my stash.  

I'm glad to hear that things are showing up on shelves.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Gonna have to take a trip to Rhinelander (they're back on my normal rotation for work now).
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice. The one in Hayward does not carry firearms. Haven't seen reloading supplies there either.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gonna have to take a trip to Rhinelander (they're back on my normal rotation for work now).
View Quote

L&M is in the old Shopko store, and the old Maurices next door is the auto/tire department. It's next to Hobby Lobby, right across Bus. 8 (Lincoln Street) from Walmart.

There are now 4 places that sell firearms and ammo within sight of each other. Walmart, Dunham's (right next door to Walmart), and  Hodag Gun is a half block to east of Dunhams, next to Walgreens. Now L&M is directly across the road, dead center of those 3.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice. The one in Hayward does not carry firearms. Haven't seen reloading supplies there either.
View Quote

I havent been to that one, but i have been to the Ashland store. They do sell both firearms and reloading stuff there.

Does the Hayward Walmart sell guns? Rhinelander store still does, but Minocqua store stopped.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I honestly would do that if they would hold them for me, my luck I would get up there and they wouldn’t have anything
View Quote

The primers are on a shelf with all the ammo,  and all the rifle & pistol ammo are behind sliding glass doors. Shotgun shells, other than buckshot and slugs, are on open shelves, across the aisle. There are signs on the glass stating "Limit of 2 per each item, per customer, per day".

You can buy 2 of any one item in display case, and 2 of another item, and 2 of another item etc ... not a total of just two items from the entire display case. You cannot have 3 or more of any one item.

I got 2 small pistol primers, my wife got hers too. We had to ring them up separately when we checked out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
So my buddy is returning from Turkey next week.

I guess most primers are made there?

Anyway, what is the hardest to get primers and what can I expect to get for them at fair market value/price?

Thanks
V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So my buddy is returning from Turkey next week.

I guess most primers are made there?

Anyway, what is the hardest to get primers and what can I expect to get for them at fair market value/price?

Thanks
V
OUT
View Quote

Very unlikely he'll be bringing you any primers if he's flying commercial. And he won't be able to ship them - hazardous. Maybe if he travels by private craft, he could bring them, but that may lead to an intense interrogation from the alphabet agencies.

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]
He stated they are being imported (shipped 14-20 days at sea - his words) along with Girsan P35 handguns?

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I havent been to that one, but i have been to the Ashland store. They do sell both firearms and reloading stuff there.

Does the Hayward Walmart sell guns? Rhinelander store still does, but Minocqua store stopped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No guns in Hayward walmart.They do still have some ammo.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
And they're all sold out... (primers)

I don't know how long the primers were on the shelf, I was there last week on their first day of being open.

I go to Rhinelander every wednesday. Last wednesday they were plentiful, especially large rifle. Today was just empty spaces on the shelf. I was told more were on the way when I asked about them.

OTOH, ammo was still plentiful, by today's standards. An employee was in the process of putting bricks of Federal .22lr in the display case. Gun racks were a bit more full, very few if any empty spots. They were still unboxing long guns last week, looks like that process is now complete.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No guns in Hayward walmart. They do still have some ammo.
View Quote

Their gun selection has gone downhill anyway, when they decided to be "politically correct".

The one gem they still stock is the TriStar Uplander O/U shotgun. There's one in Rhinelander right now. Sweet, well made Turkish shotgun in 12 or 20. My 20 weighs less than 6lbs, and it came with 5 extended SS choke tubes.. for only $365. I've got a few other real nice deals there over the years when they had a clearance sale. Remington Versamax cost me less than $600. Mossberg 935 was only $400.  Kicking myself in the ass for not grabbing both the 12ga & 20ga Remington 1100 Sportsman shotguns they had on a clearance sale, for $350 ea.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And they're all sold out... (primers)

I don't know how long the primers were on the shelf, I was there last week on their first day of being open.

I go to Rhinelander every wednesday. Last wednesday they were plentiful, especially large rifle. Today was just empty spaces on the shelf. I was told more were on the way when I asked about them.

OTOH, ammo was still plentiful, by today's standards. An employee was in the process of putting bricks of Federal .22lr in the display case. Gun racks were a bit more full, very few if any empty spots. They were still unboxing long guns last week, looks like that process is now complete.
View Quote

They ran out on Monday, mainly due to the 10% off sale. I was picking up a Walther on Monday, at Hodag, and traded pricing Intel for a box 9mm, lol.

Check out Fleet Farm in Antigo, next time you go further south. They've got more ammo than L&M did, and some of the prices are better. I bought M855 at $.62/round, including tax. It's the first time I've seen Speer Gold Dots in two years, at least locally. They actually had a good selection of 9mm and .45ACP defensive rounds.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They ran out on Monday, mainly due to the 10% off sale. I was picking up a Walther on Monday, at Hodag, and traded pricing Intel for a box 9mm, lol.

Check out Fleet Farm in Antigo, next time you go further south. They've got more ammo than L&M did, and some of the prices are better. I bought M855 at $.62/round, including tax. It's the first time I've seen Speer Gold Dots in two years, at least locally. They actually had a good selection of 9mm and .45ACP defensive rounds.
View Quote

Last time we went to Antigo (about 6-7 weeks ago?), FF had diddly-squat for ammo (I literally have more than they did ), zero reloading supplies for primers/powder/brass and only a small amount of Hornady bullets. Long gun racks were about 50% empty, but they did have more handguns than a few months before. FF has always been my favorite overall store (but Hodag for guns is still my fav), but it is more than twice the distance away, and there's very little there that can't now be had at L&M. The only thing I can think of is the in-house Field & Forest brand of heavy weight flannel shirts that I already have a closet full of.

otoh...there's that obligatory stop at JP Liquidators on the way to Antigo to consider too...
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Last time we went to Antigo (about 6-7 weeks ago?), FF had diddly-squat for ammo (I literally have more than they did ), zero reloading supplies for primers/powder/brass and only a small amount of Hornady bullets. Long gun racks were about 50% empty, but they did have more handguns than a few months before. FF has always been my favorite overall store (but Hodag for guns is still my fav), but it is more than twice the distance away, and there's very little there that can't now be had at L&M. The only thing I can think of is the in-house Field & Forest brand of heavy weight flannel shirts that I already have a closet full of.

otoh...there's that obligatory stop at JP Liquidators on the way to Antigo to consider too...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the pistol cabinets are pretty full now, but long-guns are 90% empty.

Yesterday was more ammo I have seen in one place, since January of '20.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Small rifle and magnum small rifle as of noon today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I was at the Fond du Lac Fleet Farm, the other day, and as far as primers go, they only had two different variations for 223 at $9.95/100
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm wondering where in the supply chain the prices are being increased.  I find it hard to believe raw materials have increased enough to cause the manufacturers to jump the price that much.  Are the distributors jacking it up?  The retailers?  I understand the short supply, but shouldn't that should just affect availability?  Who's doing the gouging?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm wondering where in the supply chain the prices are being increased.  I find it hard to believe raw materials have increased enough to cause the manufacturers to jump the price that much.  Are the distributors jacking it up?  The retailers?  I understand the short supply, but shouldn't that should just affect availability?  Who's doing the gouging?
View Quote

It's all supply and demand.  Any good which is in short supply with lots of demand will see price increases.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, but where does the increased price start - at the mfg.?  I can see cost of raw materials prompting an increase from the mfg., but it doesn't make sense to do it just because they get busy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#23]
double tap
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#24]
It all starts at the gouge masters, C. T. D.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah, but where does the increased price start - at the mfg.?  I can see cost of raw materials prompting an increase from the mfg., but it doesn't make sense to do it just because they get busy.
View Quote

From a business perspective, it makes absolute sense to charge a higher price when they get busy. See that post above from Prebans; it's all about supply and demand. A higher demand with a lower supply means the market will support a higher price.

Do you regularly sell items for less than they are worth?

As for where do the price increases come from, I would imagine at every level of the supply chain. Consumers wanting more product means retailers raising prices. Retailers wanting more product means wholesalers raising prices. Wholesaler demand increasing means manufacturers increase prices. Manufacturers increased demand for raw materials means material suppliers increase price.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

From a business perspective, it makes absolute sense to charge a higher price when they get busy. See that post above from Prebans; it's all about supply and demand. A higher demand with a lower supply means the market will support a higher price.

View Quote

Works until you price it out of the realm of reality.

Example. In my line of work, I have a monopoly of sorts in my area. If I charge you $75 for a lockout, that's about the competitive rate. But as competition is scarce, I can charge you $100 and you have little choice. But if I charge you $200, you'll likely break a fucking window first, and I get nothing. So, I stick with the more reasonable going rate, even though I can get more. Same goes for ammo. I might pay a "little" more (10-20%), but when it gets too high, I just won't buy it. When enough people adopt that attitude, demand goes down, so will the price (we hope...... ).
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#27]
If primers weren’t flying off the shelf I’d agree we hit the broken window price.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If primers weren’t flying off the shelf I’d agree we hit the broken window price.
View Quote

I saw some CCI small rifle 'BR4' for sale yesterday at a LGS, for $135 per K. There was a about 10 boxes sitting on the shelf. Um...no way. Not sure if 'BR4' is something special or not, first time I've seen that designation, but the last time I bought CCI small rifle primers was at this same shop, for $39.95 about 3 years ago. It's the broken window price  for me. 100% mark up is where I draw that line. I used to pay $40 not long ago... I will give up reloading before I'll pay more than $80.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Yea they’re match/benchrest primers. Those things still sell right away online for those prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top