Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2022 3:30:31 PM EDT
Well it seems to be starting up here.  Was kinda hoping we would be exempt, but what was happening at gas stations last year, has started at the grocery store.  People just filling up and leaving without paying.  The busiest gas station in town eliminated filling up , then paying in the store.  Maybe the grocery store will eliminate the auto scan check out lines after it takes as many people to watch them as just having manned check out lines.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss the good ol' days of chasing thieves into the parking lot and launching their cart into orbit, turning the parking lot into a yard sale.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is up here?
View Quote

The center of cultural diversity in Washburn County, also the largest city in Washburn County.  Went all down hill after they opened a Micky D's up here.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen it, off and on, at Woodman's in Green Bay for a while now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seems like an unlikely area, but I honestly have no clue
View Quote

I looked it up because I was curious.  There are only 16,xxx people in the county.  Logic says there aren't many jobs.  I know that's why my parents didn't move us up north when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The local hardware/grocery store posts shoplifter pictures on the window as you come in. They prosecute, and put their picture up for all to see.
I think it is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I grew up in a small town, the last thing you wanted on your head was people knowing you for being a shit bird. (because everybody knew everybody else’s business) but I guess people just don’t care anymore
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked it up because I was curious.  There are only 16,xxx people in the county.  Logic says there aren't many jobs.  I know that's why my parents didn't move us up north when I was a kid.

I grew up in a small town, the last thing you wanted on your head was people knowing you for being a shit bird. (because everybody knew everybody else’s business) but I guess people just don’t care anymore

Yup.  I completely understand.  Guess it's not like that anymore.  I'm just thinking with no jobs and inflation people are getting desperate.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The local hardware/grocery store posts shoplifter pictures on the window as you come in. They prosecute, and put their picture up for all to see.
I think it is pretty awesome.
View Quote

That is awesome.  On a side note, I've always thought people who are sentenced to the death penalty should be dropped off at a major intersection of the city they committed the crime.  Let the citizens know ahead of time, let them gather and handle business.  Like public hangings, just beat them to death, firing squad etc.  It would save so much money for the tax payers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup.  I completely understand.  Guess it's not like that anymore.  I'm just thinking with no jobs and inflation people are getting desperate.
View Quote

No jobs? Yes, inflation is very real and it hurts... but there's plenty of jobs. Businesses around here are desperate for help. I've never seen so many job openings in my area as there are right now. People just don't want to work for a living, they all want more handouts. Businesses have had to curtail their hours because of a lack of employees.

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No jobs? Yes, inflation is very real and it hurts... but there's plenty of jobs. Businesses around here are desperate for help. I've never seen so many job openings in my area as there are right now. People just don't want to work for a living, they all want more handouts. Businesses have had to curtail their hours because of a lack of employees.

View Quote

We have had several restaurants close because they couldn't find any help at normal wages.     The auto parts and car repair business's are booming.  Waiting to see what the gas prices do to the tour pest industry.  Yes a lot of people depend on them for business, but some of the tour pest's attitudes leave a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We have had several restaurants close because they couldn't find any help at normal wages.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We have had several restaurants close because they couldn't find any help at normal wages.

Same here. Even the fast food joints like McD's and Burger King are paying hiring bonuses. And it seems like every one of the plumbing, HVAC, electrical contractors are short of help too. These aren't exactly low paying jobs, but they do require certain skills.

The auto parts and car repair business's are booming.

Again, here too. New car lots are empty, so the used car prices are way up. People are keeping their old junkers and keeping them running as long as possible. That requires parts.

Waiting to see what the gas prices do to the tour pest industry.  Yes a lot of people depend on them for business, but some of the tour pest's attitudes leave a lot to be desired.

Gas prices will kill off a lot of business. The only way to get here is by "family truckster". There is ZERO public transportation. You drive or you walk... or peddle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Talked to the owner of the local quikie mart.
They have had no walk offs yet.
Said last time price were high they had some.

Small town, only place to get gas in town.

Not too many shit birds around, mostly blue collar stuff, farming, construction not much diversity.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The only station in Benton has 70's style pumps with pay inside only.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Shit, I worked at kwik trip in Eau Claire back in 92-93 and we usually had 1-2 drive offs a week even back then.  It was right off hwy 93 & hwy 94 so it was often busy as hell.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi from Milwaukee County.

I am depressed hearing of this up there too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top