Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2022 12:12:05 AM EDT
Something has been waking our dog up at night.  3AM.  I went for a walk today and found where a rabbit had been killed.  5 hrs ago I saw one of the biggest red foxes I have ever seen in our front yard.  It went ride down the hill following the tracks of what killed the rabbit.  I guess I know what has been waking up our dog.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only ever seen small ones.  We had one that would come take a nap in the back yard every afternoon but she stopped coming when we got our dog.  

I would guess the biggest one I've seen was about 40-50lbs.  Hard to tell with all of their hair.  

There was a den about 1/4 mile away a few years ago but I think the coyotes drove them away.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]
We had a female red fox dig a den under one of our sheds (it has a plywood floor raised up off the ground about 2-4") about this time of year, 3 years ago. February is mating season, I assumed correctly it was a pregnant female. The ground underneath it stays dry, so it doesn't freeze solid. I noticed the dirt thrown out on top of the snow, so I put my Spypoint cellular camera up to watch it.

She had 3 kits, and I got dozens of pictures of them coming out every night to hunt with mom, after all the snow melted in late April. Cute little shits. They abandoned that den, but I still see them occasionally. Mom is huge, easily distinguishable from the others. They try to get the squirrels and chipmunks, but that's difficult with all the trees for them to scurry up. Whenever I catch a mouse in one of my traps, or shoot a chipmunk, I leave the carcass on a stump behind my woodpile. It doesn't stay there very long.

The weird part is... cottontail rabbits have a den under the same shed, at the opposite end of it (it's about 8' wide, 18' long). Never found any evidence of a fox trying to dig them out, nor catching and killing one.

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to see them frequently, however down her 40-50 pounds would be huge I think.  These day coyotes are more frequent and really healthy. I assume fox are smart enough to know when to unass the area.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only ever seen small ones.  We had one that would come take a nap in the back yard every afternoon but she stopped coming when we got our dog.  

I would guess the biggest one I've seen was about 40-50lbs.  Hard to tell with all of their hair.  

There was a den about 1/4 mile away a few years ago but I think the coyotes drove them away.
View Quote

40 to 50 pounds is good size for a coyote. It would have to be a record for a fox...but I'd love to see it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

40 to 50 pounds is good size for a coyote. It would have to be a record for a fox...but I'd love to see it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to see them frequently, however down her 40-50 pounds would be huge I think.  These day coyotes are more frequent and really healthy. I assume fox are smart enough to know when to unass the area.

Quoted:

I guess I assumed they were bigger up north.  I'm in the 'burbs and have never seen one up north.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
my old neighborhood had a rabbit problem, foxes moved in and no more rabbit problem, it was great
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I guess I assumed they were bigger up north.  I'm in the 'burbs and have never seen one up north.
View Quote

The big female that inhabits my neighborhood, and had a litter under my shed, is one of the biggest I've ever seen gauging by height and length, but foxes are very thin, so don't weigh very much. She might be close to 25lbs, and that's big for a fox.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top