Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2021 12:20:14 PM EDT
Is it OK to hammock camp in the park camping areas? I cannot find any mention of hammocks anywhere in the state literature.
I am tired of camping in a tent, and the wife and I want to try hammocks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is it OK to hammock camp in the park camping areas? I cannot find any mention of hammocks anywhere in the state literature.
I am tired of camping in a tent, and the wife and I want to try hammocks.
View Quote

I'm guessing as long as it's a loop around the tree (i.e. no damage) you're probably ok. I've seen them at campgrounds at state parks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to two state parks today and drove through both campgrounds, I found a total of 5 campsites that were hammock friendly without disturbing the weeds and flowers on the edge of the sites. 3 of them are marginal.
The state park reservation system is pretty fucked up. You cannot make a future reservation on the yellow phone that replaced the students and seasonal workers in the park office.
I tried the website, and it would allow me to put the campsite in the cart, but the cart always showed empty when I clicked on it, and it said one item in cart. Sooooooo, I got to wait 10 minutes on the phone, to pay a 50% "convenience fee" of 7.50 for a 15.00 campsite. Thanks china virus.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found some pretty good information here

National Forest camping

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/cnnf/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=27717&actid=34
View Quote

Thanks for that. We want to stay somewhat local. The wife is new at this, and we are taking the dogs. If it is a disaster, it isn't a long unhappy drive home.
I plan on getting up in that area, and the xterra can handle some of the fire roads easy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The biggest problem is knowing whether there's going to actually be hammock capable trees in the site you're reserving.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The biggest problem is knowing whether there's going to actually be hammock capable trees in the site you're reserving.
View Quote

Yes that is the problem. Some of the parks have site pictures, but they don't really show scale or angles to see if the trees will work.The Yellowstone campground is really nice, and we found a site that works as we try stuff out.

You will freeze your ass off without some kind of sleeping pad in a hammock even when the temps are low 50's. .
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been lucky using extender straps on far away tress. These are made by hammock companies (less stretch). Factory ENO brand (not ebay similar/copy) is the best from experience. You run the risk of extreme stretch if you use cheap ratchet straps. You have to put the straps above your head on the trees, but it enables you to use trees farther apart than usual.

It is best to set it up, lay in it for some time then readjust to a higher setting slot on the extender if needed BEFORE a long term sleep...

V
OUT
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have been lucky using extender straps on far away tress. These are made by hammock companies (less stretch). Factory ENO brand (not ebay similar/copy) is the best from experience. You run the risk of extreme stretch if you use cheap ratchet straps. You have to put the straps above your head on the trees, but it enables you to use trees farther apart than usual.

It is best to set it up, lay in it for some time then readjust to a higher setting slot on the extender if needed BEFORE a long term sleep...

V
OUT
View Quote

Do you use whoopie slings? If so, how do you get the bury to bite on the adjustment cord. I have 10 inch buries, and they will not tighten up.
Edit: I made UCR instead of whoopie slings.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes that is the problem. Some of the parks have site pictures, but they don't really show scale or angles to see if the trees will work.The Yellowstone campground is really nice, and we found a site that works as we try stuff out.

You will freeze your ass off without some kind of sleeping pad in a hammock even when the temps are low 50's. .
View Quote
Oh yeah.  Underquilt is required.  I use the same down underquilt whether it's 20F or 80F.  No pads.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you use whoopie slings? If so, how do you get the bury to bite on the adjustment cord. I have 10 inch buries, and they will not tighten up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
OUT

I use whoopie slings.  I don't know what UCR is so can't answer that.  Whoopies bite like a chinese fingercuff, never had one that wouldn't hold.  If you want to make your own tree straps, use polypropylene webbing as it will not stretch like nylon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have made both Whoopie slings, and the UCR. This video kind of explains the difference, and shows a way to get them to lock up. It shows the difference, and solves my slipping issue.
Hammock Suspension: Locking UCR

You can make a really long span with the UCR, it uses a dog bone, and a separate long piece of Amsteel. instead of being a single piece that is doubled back in itself.
The problem I see is because the dogbone is not under tension on both sides, it allows the long piece to slip instead of getting tight in the dog bone constrictor, if that makes sense.
I can take them apart, or use them for an adjustable ridgeline for sag. They won't be under as much tension there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. This is the biggest pain in the ass. I tend to use either websites like The Dyrt or sometimes youtube has videos showing each campsite(or at least basic pictures). The actual state website is ok, but not great. Lots of internet research on places like Hammock Forums in hopes of seeing who else camped at that park.

To OP: I've been hammock camping for roughly 10 years now. I'll never to back to tents unless i absolutely have to. It takes some getting used to(you don't sleep straight in the hammock but at an angle), but no back stiffness in the morning, no worrying about finding level ground or having your tent flooded from massive rainfall. Also, it doubles as a chair.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all for the info. I really like the hammocks, and so does the wife.
I think we will stick with the daisy chain suspension for now. She doesn't trust the "string" yet. Dutchware and hammock gear sell spider daisy chain that is 100% loops, and tests 1500# on the loops. Stores small, and 4.9g per foot. A reviewer said you can tie a beckett hitch with it.
Dutch
Hammock gear
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#15]
There have been no issues when I have asked about , and subsequently did, hammock camping at a few different state parks. Their only requirement is that you had tree straps, which I did.

I usually camp during slower times, ie cooler times, but I have asked the rangers during check-in if the site had decent trees for hammock camping and they were very helpful with that info, one ranger at High Cliff even offering to let me move sites if I found the trees lacking at my reserved site. Keep in mind, that was in early April when it was still pretty chilly and the campground was mostly empty (maybe six sites were in use).
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I went through a couple of campgrounds, and it was pretty tough finding space for two hammocks. We have solved the problem and will take hammock stands with us. Found one made from chain link fence rail and tarp fittings. The top rail is 13', and we can use a 10x12 tarp if need be, and it is pretty sturdy. Most tent sites are level enough to be no problem to set one or two up as needed.
Both campgrounds were very nice, we look forward to getting in some hang time this fall and again in spring. I hope we get up north to camp and fish.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I busted two people having sex in a hammock they strung up on some private property yesterday.

If that was you, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope, not me. I plumbed the new kitchen sink, and installed the stove outlet. Not sure I want to try hammock sex at this point in my life. It takes much longer to heal now that I passed 60.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top