Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2021 1:26:31 AM EDT
What is the most feasible way to carry concealed in MN for a Wisconsin Resident? Arizona or Florida permit?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is the most feasible way to carry concealed in MN for a Wisconsin Resident? Arizona or Florida permit?
View Quote

Inside the waist band, in deep concealment, works best for me.

As for AZ or FL...neither. Utah used to be the best, then MN decided to no longer honor Utah, that change taking place about 7-8 years ago. Best way now is to either bite the bullet and get a MN non-resident, or a North Dakota non-resident. Both require taking a specific class by approved instructors, and applying in person. There is no "easy" way.

Below is a list of acceptable permits.  

Alaska
Delaware
Idaho (enhanced only)
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Dakota (class 1 only)
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota (enhanced only)
West Virginia ("regular" only)
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That is the conclusion I came to looking at the laws last night.  Each MN county can charge different amounts as well I think.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is the conclusion I came to looking at the laws last night.  Each MN county can charge different amounts as well I think.
View Quote

The max they can charge is $100, and they must issue or deny a license within 30 days of application. You can bet your ass they all charge the $100. And... the anti-gun bastards in certain counties have found a way around the 30 days too. They make you schedule an "appointment" to submit your in-person application. There's no time limit on how long they can make you wait for an appointment.

The good part for non-residents is you can apply in any county you wish to. Residents must apply in their county of residence. Pity those who reside in Hennepin or Ramsey (twin cities metro).

I had a MN license from 2006 - 2011. Living in north central WI, I just drove west on WI hwy 70 (250 yards from my front door) until I crossed into MN in Pine County. I went to the Pine County Sheriff Dept in Pine City (county seat), was in & out in 10 minutes (strictly a walk-in at 11:00 am on a weekday, no appointment) and my permit was in my mailbox 13 days later. And it was the full $100, and they only took cash.

When it expired, I got a Utah instead. MN requires another class at every renewal, Utah doesn't. Utah was good in MN until about 2014 or so. When they stopped honoring Utah, I stopped going there. My daughter and grandkids lived there... up until just last last weekend. My daughter sold their house, closes the deal at 9am tomorrow, and is moving to the U.P. .... so I now have ZERO reason to ever go there again.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Just took my MN renewal last weekend with another Arfcommer.  Next month I’ll be in my 90-day renewal window, so I’ll cross off a day to appear in person to deliver my renewal paperwork.

I pass through MN 3-4 times annually on my way west.  While I’ve altered my route to completely avoid the MSP area, MN goes nuts over a firearm without a permit.  I have it now more to avoid trouble in case I get pulled over (again).  

Last time I was pulled over, I thought my UT permit was still good.  Nope and oops.  Thankfully the officer considered me having a FFL and said he’s calling it a “peaceable journey,” which isn’t even part of MN law.  But that was far western MN off the SD border.  (80 mph down to 70 mph.)  I’d have no such courtesy in eastern MN.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Been carrying there for years with no problem. Permit, isn't that a fish??

If my life is on the line I'll have more to worry about then a stupid piece of paper. Let the lawyers worry about it. Cause I don't remember the 2A saying anything about state lines.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Inside the waist band, in deep concealment, works best for me.

As for AZ or FL...neither. Utah used to be the best, then MN decided to no longer honor Utah, that change taking place about 7-8 years ago. Best way now is to either bite the bullet and get a MN non-resident, or a North Dakota non-resident. Both require taking a specific class by approved instructors, and applying in person. There is no "easy" way.

Below is a list of acceptable permits.  

Alaska
Delaware
Idaho (enhanced only)
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Dakota (class 1 only)
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota (enhanced only)
West Virginia ("regular" only)
View Quote

Wait - you mean MN accepts the IL CCL? Surprised me!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wait - you mean MN accepts the IL CCL? Surprised me!
View Quote

I’ve weighed buying some dinky cheap lot in SC just to qualify for their out of state permit in order to be able to legally carry in IL.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’ve weighed buying some dinky cheap lot in SC just to qualify for their out of state permit in order to be able to legally carry in IL.  
View Quote

"SC" meaning South Carolina? What good would that do?

IL honors no other states permits, period. IL will issue a non-resident permit to residents of these 6 states only -  Arkansas  Idaho  Mississippi  Nevada  Texas  Virginia

IL State Police use 6 criteria to determine which state's residents are eligible to obtain an IL non-res license to carry. WI and SC have the exact same "score", exact same 4 out of 6.... as does AZ, IN, MA, MN, NC, UT, WY.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/SubstantiallySimilarSurvey.pdf
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IL honors no other states permits, period. IL will issue a non-resident permit to residents of these 6 states only -  Arkansas  Idaho  Mississippi  Nevada  Texas  Virginia

IL State Police use 6 criteria to determine which state's residents are eligible to obtain an IL non-res license to carry. WI and SC have the exact same "score", exact same 4 out of 6.... as does AZ, IN, MA, MN, NC, UT, WY.

View Quote

That has changed.  They used to have something with SC back when I first checked.

Eh, I guess I’ll keep falling under their “okay if you’re in the car” exemption.  I still gas up and hit the john just before I cross the state line.  The goal is driving straight through.  Illinois does NOT need my money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a ND Class 1 for the longest time, but finally decided to get a MN non-res. The class was fairly painless, and the application process was easy. Was going to go to Anoka County, but ended heading up to Duluth. Friendly folks, no problems at all. And the drive was a bit more scenic.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, that pesky voluntary mental health admission thing. Fuckers hate freedom.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The max they can charge is $100, and they must issue or deny a license within 30 days of application. You can bet your ass they all charge the $100. And... the anti-gun bastards in certain counties have found a way around the 30 days too. They make you schedule an "appointment" to submit your in-person application. There's no time limit on how long they can make you wait for an appointment.

The good part for non-residents is you can apply in any county you wish to. Residents must apply in their county of residence. Pity those who reside in Hennepin or Ramsey (twin cities metro).

I had a MN license from 2006 - 2011. Living in north central WI, I just drove west on WI hwy 70 (250 yards from my front door) until I crossed into MN in Pine County. I went to the Pine County Sheriff Dept in Pine City (county seat), was in & out in 10 minutes (strictly a walk-in at 11:00 am on a weekday, no appointment) and my permit was in my mailbox 13 days later. And it was the full $100, and they only took cash.

When it expired, I got a Utah instead. MN requires another class at every renewal, Utah doesn't. Utah was good in MN until about 2014 or so. When they stopped honoring Utah, I stopped going there. My daughter and grandkids lived there... up until just last last weekend. My daughter sold their house, closes the deal at 9am tomorrow, and is moving to the U.P. .... so I now have ZERO reason to ever go there again.  
View Quote

i work in mn county
they charge 75 bucks
usually no line at all to apply
usually sent out well before 30 days--they say 30 days as its the law
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I just took a MN/FL class a couple of weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to applying yet. The guy had a recommended office to make an appt for application at, but don't remember which one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top