Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 2:24:27 PM EDT
My daughter and her family are looking for a cabin on a lake up north.  Yeah, I know, who isn't. They've been kicking around the idea for awhile and she decided if they don't do it now, they never will.  What I was wondering is if anyone has the name of a DECENT realtor that's familiar with waterfront property up north - up north according to her is north of Wausau and preferably in the eastern half of the state.  Her primary concern is a good lake (not shallow and at least 200 acres).   I told her I'd see if anyone here happens to know the name of some realtors that know the market and aren't sheenies.  They live in Oregon so it's a little  
bit of a drive to go cruising the area regularly so maybe a realtor up there might have some leads for them to follow.  She said they're ready to move on one if found.  Any help would be appreciated.  Plus, then I can get their boat out of my shed!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I just spent 30 damn minutes typing out an IM, with a list of about 15-20 very good ones in the Eagle River/Three Lakes/St. Germain/Land O Lakes areas, complete with links to their offices. I've known most of them for decades. I went to send it to you, and the message bounced back because of "image code failure". The 'Captha' thing at the bottom of each message. I entered the correct code, double checked it... but it failed anyway. And... the message I typed is gone into a cyberspace black hole as well.

I forgot to "copy" it before sending, as this same shit happens almost every fucking time I try to send a IM here.

I'll try it again tomorrow... I'm too pissed off to do it now.

EDIT: I just found the message by "back paging" a few times, and resent it! I think it went through this time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats - it came through!  Thanks for the effort, I'll fwd. it to my daughter.  I owe ya a beer.  Ok, an Old Fashioned.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Best guy I know sent friends to and even a guy here to and everyone likes him and trusts him.
I trust him completely

Chris Hiller buy north
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best guy I know sent friends to and even a guy here to and everyone likes him and trusts him.
I trust him completely

Chris Hiller buy north
View Quote

Thanks, I'll pass that on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately.... all the best realtors in the world are useless if there's absolutely nothing for sale.

nada, zilch, zip...

Even the available upper 6-figure/7-figure lakeside palaces are getting scarce...

Nothing but vacant land to build on (and that's not cheap now either), but then there's the high cost of lumber, and unavailability of people to build it for you, to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unfortunately.... all the best realtors in the world are useless if there's absolutely nothing for sale.

nada, zilch, zip...

Even the available upper 6-figure/7-figure lakeside palaces are getting scarce...

Nothing but vacant land to build on (and that's not cheap now either), but then there's the high cost of lumber, and unavailability of people to build it for you, to deal with.
View Quote

Yep and exactly what Chris told me the other day...same with S Dakota ...little to no product for sale...prices sky high.

Yep and why we ended up selling our lake lot

We would have had over a million into the place if we built our specked out house...so now we hold and wait...and hope we live long enough to make a move to greener pastures.

Good thread on timber prices

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Lumber-prices-my-opinion-as-a-forester/5-2446268/
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
We were looking at a place on S Blue...realtor told us not to bother...40 people were going to an open house where the bidding would be done...the market price was meaningless...some really rich guy was flying in from California with cash
and expected to take it for quite a bit over the asking.

Now we are looking over toward 3 lakes further east and N East.

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]
We've checked out a few for the daughter.  Asking price was about 2-3 times what I figured they were worth.  They were going to go look at one I told her looked pretty good (except for the price, in my 1970's frame of mind) but the realtor called them the night before and told them there was already an accepted offer, after telling them that day the bids were going to be cut off the following day.  Personally, I think they should wait for a bit.  Hopefully this nonsense will pass.  I can't see going in under water from the get go, even if you can afford it.  But, she feels the time they spend there would be worth more than the money spent on the place. Kind of have to go along with her there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Found this place
https://my.flexmls.com/cherylOelke/search/shared_links/5CTFo/listings/20210619135146186547000000

Sorry if the link is prohibitive.  Delete if so.
JP
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Found this place
https://my.flexmls.com/cherylOelke/search/shared_links/5CTFo/listings/20210619135146186547000000

Sorry if the link is prohibitive.  Delete if so.
JP
View Quote

I can just picture the 39 losers of the bidding war running over there to start bidding this one up...
Guessing why the listing says "delayed" on it??
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't understand what the "Delayed "
Was, myself.
???
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Supposedly "delayed" means there is a contract between seller and agent but any showings are delayed, usually for 15 days.  That's a nice place, but not what I imagine when I think of a half million $ place.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Supposedly "delayed" means there is a contract between seller and agent but any showings are delayed, usually for 15 days.  That's a nice place, but not what I imagine when I think of a half million $ place.
View Quote

In CA they are selling their homes for millions...that same home in Central WI would be worth $250,000.

They bring their new found wealth to states where really nice land is still relatively cheap...cheap by their standards.

Sell a $250,000 home for $1.5mil and buy a $250,000 home in WI for $500,000 still cheap for them...not for us.

We were looking in S Dakota last year and it was bad this year it's twice as worse...Florida,Texas,AZ, and many more states the escapees from the west coast,east coast,Mn an IL are going to kill WI

IMO

Of course then the taxes here go up...

Was talking to our friend Chris a realtor in Minocqua and he is beside himself...thousands of buyers no property to sell and hundreds of agents all competing for scarce properties...imagine its gonna get real cut throat up there this summer.

I'd just get cash long and wait for the crash...

Those of us wanting to get back "Up Nort" we got @rfb45colt as our canary in the coal mine so to speak...
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you for the explanation..
????
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I was just thinking about the property taxes on these places.  In the listings they show the taxes for the past few years and in most cases, they aren't too horrible.  Now the place gets sold for 2-3 times what it's worth.  I doubt if the property taxes will stay the same.  Wouldn't you think the Co. will look and see a 100K property now sold for 300K  - you think they'll keep the taxes the same?  I think the county fathers are just sitting back and wringing their hands at the prospect of their new found windfall.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was just thinking about the property taxes on these places.  In the listings they show the taxes for the past few years and in most cases, they aren't too horrible.  Now the place gets sold for 2-3 times what it's worth.  I doubt if the property taxes will stay the same.  Wouldn't you think the Co. will look and see a 100K property now sold for 300K  - you think they'll keep the taxes the same?  I think the county fathers are just sitting back and wringing their hands at the prospect of their new found windfall.
View Quote

The open book sessions will get sporty that's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In CA they are selling their homes for millions...that same home in Central WI would be worth $250,000.

They bring their new found wealth to states where really nice land is still relatively cheap...cheap by their standards.

Sell a $250,000 home for $1.5mil and buy a $250,000 home in WI for $500,000 still cheap for them...not for us.

We were looking in S Dakota last year and it was bad this year it's twice as worse...Florida,Texas,AZ, and many more states the escapees from the west coast,east coast,Mn an IL are going to kill WI

IMO

Of course then the taxes here go up...

Was talking to our friend Chris a realtor in Minocqua and he is beside himself...thousands of buyers no property to sell and hundreds of agents all competing for scarce properties...imagine its gonna get real cut throat up there this summer.

I'd just get cash long and wait for the crash...

Those of us wanting to get back "Up Nort" we got @rfb45colt as our canary in the coal mine so to speak...
View Quote

That happened in AZ awhile back when the Cali crowd was selling their homes for big bucks.  They then crawled to AZ and bought up homes that were selling for big bucks (not for the Calis') because of the shortage.  New construction was going crazy - even had a cement shortage.  Then, the bottom fell out.  A lot of unfinished and newly finished homes just sat empty.  Whole developments were abandoned.  These things never last.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not worried about it because there's vey few places being sold right now. Nowhere near enough to have any affect on the overwhelming majority of properties not changing hands anytime soon. I could probably get 3-4 times what I paid for my house, if I sold it tomorrow...but where the hell would I go? So I sit on it, like most everyone else, and assessment values stay static.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Vacant land is about all you see for sale. That, and business properties. Residential property for sale is scarce. Listings sell almost immediately, no negotiating, unless a bidding war erupts... then price goes up, not down. Not a good time to be a realtor up here. Sure, commissions are up, because sale prices are up. But, volume of sales is way way down. Just not enough homes up for sale to fill the demand.

tweet tweet tweet...

My advice? Look in the U.P. , forget WI... for now anyways.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Vacant land is about all you see for sale. That, and business properties. Residential property for sale is scarce. Listings sell almost immediately, no negotiating, unless a bidding war erupts... then price goes up, not down. Not a good time to be a realtor up here. Sure, commissions are up, because sale prices are up. But, volume of sales is way way down. Just not enough homes up for sale to fill the demand.

tweet tweet tweet...

My advice? Look in the U.P. , forget WI... for now anyways.
View Quote

LOL

I hear you on the UP and we'd like it but I don't wanna risk being under Gretchen's thumb or Lansing's...

Madison and Evers bad enough...and then when that Lt Gov BLM guy runs for Gov and Milwaukee,Chicago and Madison
stuff the ballot boxes...guess we'll have to take off but where? that's the big question...eh?
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LOL

I hear you on the UP and we'd like it but I don't wanna risk being under Gretchen's thumb or Lansing's...

Madison and Evers bad enough...and then when that Lt Gov BLM guy runs for Gov and Milwaukee,Chicago and Madison
stuff the ballot boxes...guess we'll have to take off but where? that's the big question...eh?
View Quote

Sending you a link by P.M. of the place my daughter has under contract in the U.P.

She should close end of next week sometime, financing squared away, waiting on title company to get their shit together. 3 acres, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, newer A-frame ... with 100'+ of lake frontage on the "big" lake... Lake Superior. $240K. We're now looking at "big" boats.

eta... she still has her 62 acres, "off the grid" cabin in the Ottawa. But now, she'll no longer will live 5-1/2 hours away in MN. Now she'll only be 1-1/2 hours away (by car... 3-4 hours by snowmobile ).

2nd edit.... you think that witch Gretchen will get re-elected? I doubt that very much.

3rd edit: Daughter is now officially a Yooper... closed on her house yesterday (6/22).
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sending you a link by P.M. of the place my daughter has under contract in the U.P.

She should close end of next week sometime, financing squared away, waiting on title company to get their shit together. 3 acres, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, newer A-frame ... with 100'+ of lake frontage on the "big" lake... Lake Superior. $240K. We're now looking at "big" boats.

eta... she still has her 62 acres, "off the grid" cabin in the Ottawa. But now, she'll no longer will live 5-1/2 hours away in MN. Now she'll only be 1-1/2 hours away (by car... 3-4 hours by snowmobile ).

2nd edit.... you think that witch Gretchen will get re-elected? I doubt that very much.
View Quote

She's really up there in God's country.

Lot's of nice trout streams feeding into the lake for spawning fun...lots of smelt action in L'Anse as I recall from
many many years ago.

I used to dive up in the Copper Harbor area 45 yrs ago...there were ton's of silver ore dumped in the bay as ships used the rocks for ballast...all kinds of treasures up there for those that have the eyes for it...

I still don't think Evers got elected and the MI vote was crooked so...would she be able to get re-elected...

I guess we'll see and that would surely tell us something...

Glad to hear she's closer to her folks...and out of Mn.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My tax assessed value went up 31% with this year re-evaluation. The  inept folks on the town board could care less about the piles of evidence and supporting documentation I brought fourth during my appeals hearing.

It was my own fault for over paying about $30k on my new house but it’s the market we live in. Sold our house in 2 days for $20k over ask no contingencies or inspection.

We lost 3 houses in bidding wars and in the 11th hour before we were officially homeless we found our current home and offered over asking. Now the town is taking advantage of the high markets and they hired some Tax Assessment outfit out of Green Bay that are a bunch of hacks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My tax assessed value went up 31% with this year re-evaluation. The  inept folks on the town board could care less about the piles of evidence and supporting documentation I brought fourth during my appeals hearing.

It was my own fault for over paying about $30k on my new house but it’s the market we live in. Sold our house in 2 days for $20k over ask no contingencies or inspection.

We lost 3 houses in bidding wars and in the 11th hour before we were officially homeless we found our current home and offered over asking. Now the town is taking advantage of the high markets and they hired some Tax Assessment outfit out of Green Bay that are a bunch of hacks.
View Quote

I think that when the market collapses and they try to get blood out of turnips they will all get tarred and feathered.
They certainly will deserve it.
A pox on town chairmen and their suck ass cronies...and cousins who are assessors.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Not sure how reliable Zillow is, but there looks to be some decent priced homes up in the UP. I'm always wary of remote places I'm not pretty familiar with though. When I lived in Ohio, most of the rural places were rife with dangerous methbilly families.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top