Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2021 10:51:42 PM EDT
I went out in the rain and fished a short section of the fever river this afternoon, and caught a couple of tiny smallies. They were both very fat, and healthy looking. One was about 6", the other was about 10".  I just walked the bank because a frigging mouse destroyed my waders, so I guess a trip to Cabela's is in my future.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
One small largemouth in a  local pond on a x rap. Love jerkbaits in the spring!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Went out yesterday and tried one of the listed trout streams here in Lafayette County, and ended up catching 8 creek chubs between 6 and 9 inches.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
went out yesterday and picked up my limit of sheep head
(and a few white bass but no walleyes )
View Quote

What lake?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Plenty of water over there, biggest water over here is the Mississippi. I was amazed that those chubs were hitting a 1/4oz Panther Martin. They were whacking it hard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much everything but steelhead and salmon, or trout. I don't have a boat, so no structure fishing for me.
I am entertained with the smaller streams around here, smallies, saugers, and hopefully trout.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL didn't catch anything but did see some fish in the creek while mowing the lawn today. Looked to be 3-6", never seen anything that big here before. Im half tempted to get a license and see if I can catch one.

What puzzles me is how do they get in the creek?
South of me the creek goes under the railroad and the culvert has a several feet drop, so they aren't coming from that direction which is the only lake or river its connected to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my fishing license this week.  Does that count?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#11]
This guy kicks trout ass! Driftless region ftw
Wisconsin Trout Fishing - 4/17/2021

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Didn't catch anything but got the new to me 2008 Triton bass boat on the water. Checked the new Garmins and Minnkota out. The ole E-tec ran great.

Snowing this morning so the wait continues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#13]
So trout season opens this weekend, along with most other species I can catch down here. Is trout opening day a shit show where folks line up elbow to elbow next to where the stock trucks empty out?
I am going to have to hit up Grant Co and north for trout it appears. I have caught fish in the streams I have tried down here, but no trout.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Caught my first two WI trout today. Lol, the first one was 5", and the second one maybe 6.5". I missed 3, one was probably 12 or so. They were both brook trout, and I am guessing native and not stocked. I watched several feed in a rapid, they were breaking water feeding. They wouldn't hit the spinners, though. I will hit that place again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
was out last week in April, one little smallmouth about 12" and one Rainbow/steelhead about 28"

Slipped on a large rock climbing out of the river and smacked my knee, its still sore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been working on accuracy casting to smallmouth locally, and it is coming back pretty well. Getting into tiny spots on small streams is challenging. Had a minor stroke right before I moved up here, and things just don't work like they did fourty years ago.
I had a scare the shit out of the buckeye moment today at Yellowstone. I was messing around with a crankbait below the dam, and pike/muskie hit it in about two feet of water about six feet from the rod tip. The initial strike was crazy, then one jump, and it departed with the crankbait.
It was twenty five inches or so.
We had them in Ohio, but not in the water I fished. Scared the shit out of me.
I was fishing ultralight and I was busy shitting my pants and let it break off. Not sure how I would have landed it anyway. Seems like fucking with a gator with gills.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Pike are fun, muskies are the mean ones!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Muskies are all I fish for. I don't catch many, as I don't have much time to go fishing, but when I do catch one, it's memorable.

I had a 50"+ monster on the line one time, on the Flambeau River, downstream from the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage dam. Fought him for 30 minutes, the whole time drifting downstream in a wooden row boat, but lost him when the line broke when it snagged on a rock when we hit some rapids.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#20]
That would suck losing one after fighting it for 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That would suck losing one after fighting it for 30 minutes.
View Quote

Naw, no big deal, and it was fun to play that fish that long. I would've released it anyway after taking some pictures. My dad had an even bigger one get away, same day, same boat.

It was a guided trip in 17', old, wide & heavy/sturdy wooden row boats. It took 4 men to carry the boats. Just the guide with oars to navigate the boat, no motors. My dad & I would go every year on Fathers Day weekend, back in the 1980s & early '90s. He was a musky fanatic (he died in '96). My sister's husband and his dad would be in another boat with another guide. We rode the river downstream from the Turtle / Flambeau dam almost to Park Falls, where we'd be picked up and driven back. Quite a few sections of rapids in that stretch of the river, with backwater pools where the big ones would hang out. We'd cast our lures into those pools, and we'd drag a jerk bait with some spinners behind the boat. It wasn't trolling (illegal then) because we didn't have a motor on the boat. We were propelled by oars or the river's current.

We'd catch a few each trip, but we never kept any. Muskies aren't good for eating. If we wanted fish to eat, we'd fish the flowage for walleye, bass or perch. An uncle owned a resort on that flowage, we had access to boats there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I catch and release pretty much everything, but will keep walleye and trout, and crappies if I get enough big ones. That sounds like a fun trip with your dad. What kind of lures or bait would you use? Seems like everything muskie/pike is super sized.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I catch and release pretty much everything, but will keep walleye and trout, and crappies if I get enough big ones. That sounds like a fun trip with your dad. What kind of lures or bait would you use? Seems like everything muskie/pike is super sized.
View Quote

Mostly bucktails or crank baits. A good portion of my musky baits are made by Joe Bucher. I use his "Buchertails" and "Shallowraiders".  https://www.joebucheroutdoors.com/buchertails. He and his wife Beth are friends of mine, they used live about a mile away. They moved over to Buffalo County for better deer hunting, they have some land there (Joe is also an expert hunter, for both deer & turkey). I also like to use Mepps bucktails, made in Antigo WI.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#24]
....a case of the Mondays.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but catching trout has become a real challenge vs the smallmouth around here.
I can catch the smallies on spinners, jig spinners, top water, crank baits, ned rig hellgrammites, jigs, and I'm sure live bait if I wanted.
Same baits and I might be lucky to catch one or two small trout, while I watch the rest of the trout just follow the lures, or ignore them. Lots of decent fish but no takers.
I'm going to keep trying, but it is frustrating for sure.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#26]
When I worked in Larimer Co., CO, I fished the Poudre river.  Lots of browns and the favored spinner out there was the Panther Martin.  For some reason, the Mepps spinners didn't excite them, but they sure liked the Panther Martins for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I am using panther martin, and have also tried rooster tails. 3/8oz to 1/16oz. Tried jigs, and rapalas. I have stopped and watched in a couple places, and see fish. Have some follows, missed one or two. I don't know what kind of pressure it gets on weekends, but I don't see anyone during the week.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am using panther martin, and have also tried rooster tails. 3/8oz to 1/16oz. Tried jigs, and rapalas. I have stopped and watched in a couple places, and see fish. Have some follows, missed one or two. I don't know what kind of pressure it gets on weekends, but I don't see anyone during the week.
View Quote

Classic PMs are my must successful spinners in Vernon Co.  Red/yellow/ silver, ot black/yellow/brass depending on condition.  I also use rainbow trout holographics quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe try 2-ply TP?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When I worked in Larimer Co., CO, I fished the Poudre river.  Lots of browns and the favored spinner out there was the Panther Martin.  For some reason, the Mepps spinners didn't excite them, but they sure liked the Panther Martins for some reason.
View Quote

I will be staying in Poudre Canyon & Estes Park for a few days this summer. I'm hoping to get out in the mornings to chase some browns.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice area.  Ft. Collins is like the "Madison of the West" though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I catch trout left and right....with flies.

My son swears by 1/4 oz Panther Martin spinners.  Any color if the blade is gold.

I catch at least 10 to 1, but what he catches is usually nice sized.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice area.  Ft. Collins is like the "Madison of the West" though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Anybody ever fish the Turtle Creek stretch just west of Delavan? I'm thinking about taking my dad out to do a little wading in the water and see if we can hook anything, but it's literally been more than a decade since we've gone fishing. Just not too sure if it's good fishing or not. I'd rather not drive all the way down to the Beloit section, but i will if I'm more likely to get hits down there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anybody ever fish the Turtle Creek stretch just west of Delavan? I'm thinking about taking my dad out to do a little wading in the water and see if we can hook anything, but it's literally been more than a decade since we've gone fishing. Just not too sure if it's good fishing or not. I'd rather not drive all the way down to the Beloit section, but i will if I'm more likely to get hits down there.
View Quote

This document might help. not sure if it would be worthwhile.
Edit: It is 10 years old, and says phosphorus may be a problem, and urban runoff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I catch trout left and right....with flies.

My son swears by 1/4 oz Panther Martin spinners.  Any color if the blade is gold.

I catch at least 10 to 1, but what he catches is usually nice sized.
View Quote

I hear you, but I get more fishing time when I am not getting a fly out of a tree, or bush, or whatever I snag with a fly rod. I have been creek fishing most of my life, and used spinning gear.
I was surprised to learn that 25% of WI smallmouth habitat is located in this little corner. They are easy to catch compared to trout for me.
They eat the same stuff, hang out in the same places in streams, it should be no problem. I will figure it out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Camping next week on Clear Lake near Minocqua/St Germain.  

Usually only caught bass and panfish there but this year I want to try and catch a trout. Never even seen a trout in person before.  Bought a trout stamp and hope to change that this year.  I’m guessing just try fishing some deep lures over the deepest part of the lake and see what happens?

Will probably drag the canoe over to Little Bass Lake as well.  

Did Willow Reservoir mid May and hammered little snake Pike trolling Rapalas behind the canoe.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Usually only caught bass and panfish there but this year I want to try and catch a trout. Never even seen a trout in person before.  Bought a trout stamp and hope to change that this year.  I’m guessing just try fishing some deep lures over the deepest part of the lake and see what happens?

Did Willow Reservoir mid May and hammered little snake Pike trolling Rapalas behind the canoe.
View Quote

That lake's deepest spot is 95'.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I wanted to catch a trout this time of year I wouldn't head To the northern 1/2 of the state and drag lures behind a canoe.

There are small streams up there with trout, find one, toss out the trolling gear and get a small ultra light.
One of the easiest ways is to drift a worm/minnow/helgramite under a small bobber into the head of a pool.
Gotta be good at letting the bait drift with no drag.

The better areas of the state for catching trout are the southwest corner for stream trout or the great lakes and the tribs for larger stuff.

If you like to drag lures behind boats then Lake Michigan is your place. Personally I find it rather boring and when a fish is hooked the fight is reduced to its most boring level possible.

Good luck in your endeavors. I started out fishing mostly for panfish and carp as it was readily available to a 10 year old kid living in town with bicycle.
I did catch my first trout in Northern WI in some small brook tho.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got back from the Rhinelander area. A few 30 fish outings for bass and pike. Largest pike was 32, largest bass was a 4 lb. smallie. Leech Lake the week of Memorial day, tough bite, Musky season wasn't open yet so hit the walleyes and pike. Biggest walleye was 26, but we had to work to catch enough eaters for 2 fish frys during the week with 6 of us fishing. Awesome lake, but a week isn't enough to learn it, lol. A lifetime may not be enough, huge lake, every species a person could want.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dorothy lake, and Little Bass lake both have 3 trout limit per day, no size minimum. South on 51, you will find Rocky Run. It is listed as a green rated stream, limit 5 trout, no size limit.
2017 map of oneida county
Index of WI trout stream maps by county.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Local took me to  Clear Lake, launched by the scout camp and went around to the point by the  deep hole.
Drifted the contours with fire tiger jigging Rapalas and did well on trout
We were using medium action spinning rods with 8 lb. Fire line and a 4 ft. fluorocarbon leaders
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#43]
I've never fished in them as I only fish for musky, but I've heard there's some very good trout fishing to be had in the Deerskin River/Beaver Creek/Blackjack Creek complex, in the Nicolet Natl' Forest in eastern Vilas County. I know that area extremely well, as I've hunted in it for 30+ years.... and this is my "neighborhood".  Take Hwy 70 east to Military Road (about 6 miles east of Eagle river) and go north on Military. If you have any dogs along, keep them leashed, or very close by. This is big time wolf country, and a lost dog is dead meat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top