Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2021 9:02:25 PM EDT
A week ago I went to Farm & Fleet in IL on the way home from work since a co-worker mentioned they have 9mm ammo.  I was asked for my FOID card and since I am a non-resident I showed them my WI license.

I was told it is a new policy that they will only sell to people with a FOID card.
She then pointed to the sign that read:

Attention
Customers
Due to the State of Illinois verifications
requirements, we cannot sell
ammunition to non-Illinois residents
at this location. Illinois residents must
show a valid FOID or ICCL card to
make an ammunition purchase.

I talked to the manager since I normally have no issues in IL buying ammo.  He wasn't happy about the change but said that he couldn't do anything about it.

I called Customer Service and got a bunch of people restating the same thing. After a couple of days I finally reached someone in to the Loss Prevention Department. They were the one responsible for the policy.

He told me it is the opinion of their corporate lawyer that only people with a FOID card can buy ammo.  I read the section from IL state code that states non-residents can buy guns and ammo but was told their interpretation is that I can't. End of story.

Calls and emails to IL State Police go un-answered. I emailed the IL States Attorney General office but was told IL State Police is in change of ammo restrictions so I need to talk to them.

So there is ammo available (sometimes) but I can't buy it. Rather frustrating.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Screw IL and their liberal democratic bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I avoid spending any money in illinois.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I cringe when I have to pay the $1.90 toll at Rockford going to and from FL.  I try to make it through IL without buying gas.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I cringe when I have to pay the $1.90 toll at Rockford going to and from FL.  I try to make it through IL without buying gas.
View Quote

The last time I went through that toll plaza it was 80 cents, iirc.

1997 was the last time I was down that far south, for my mom's funeral. We lived s.w. of metro Shitcago, and always traveled I-80 over to I-39 to go north. Screw that 90-94-294 tollway bullshit. The stretch between the state line by Beloit to Rockford was all we used of it.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I avoid spending any money in illinois.
View Quote

Fixed it...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
We avoid going to or spending money in Ill. as well.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think they could  possibly be any more Fudd, but I guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
If I was rich with money to burn, I'd sue the assholes for deprivation of a constitutional right, just for the  damn hell of it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He told me it is the opinion of their corporate lawyer that only people with a FOID card can buy ammo.  I read the section from IL state code that states non-residents can buy guns and ammo but was told their interpretation is that I can't. End of story.

View Quote
I'd had told him they need to find a lawyer that isnt an illiterate moron.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd had told him they need to find a lawyer that isnt an illiterate moron.

View Quote

That was my first thought too but I am trying to play nice until I can figure out who it is. Than I can call them out.

I asked them to re-evaluate their policy and was told they would but it wouldn’t be a priority.

We will see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Getting a little carried away IMHO. Had so show my DL to buy reloading bullets. WTF??

It's not even ammo, just leads. Apparently they are having a great big case of covering their ass. Get used to it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Was this at FF as well?  You should have asked if they need to see a DL to buy some sinkers, as apparently pieces of lead have now become a controlled commodity.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Lyman shotgun reloading manual at FF last month. The check out girl asked for my ID. I said why do you need that? She said it's showing up on the check out computer as an "18 or older" item. I said "so you have doubts that I'm over 18?" (I'm 70...most people think I'm only late 50s, but c'mon.. 18? ). She said it will not proceed without a d.o.b. being entered, and they're trained to read it off an ID only. I suppose if I didn't have a driver's license or ID with me, I could raise a stink with a manager. Fwiw, I paid with cash like I usually do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
In the past, when buying ammo at FF or Walmart, I was always asked for an ID. I've been told by a friend who worked at a Walmart gun counter that it's not only an age check, it's a residence check also. IL residents need to show a FOID card to buy ammo in WI.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I was at McMiller range a while ago and there was a sign that said IL residence no FOID card needed for ammo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The cartel should give up on smuggling drugs and start smuggling ammo from overseas.  The way things are going, we're the ones who will be making transactions in dark alleys for bricks of .22 ammo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The cartel should give up on smuggling drugs and start smuggling ammo from overseas.  The way things are going, we're the ones who will be making transactions in dark alleys for bricks of .22 ammo.
View Quote

Cheaper Than Dirt has the jump on them. They now have Armscor .22lr, brick of 500, "on sale" for the "low low price" of $199.89. I shit you not.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was at McMiller range a while ago and there was a sign that said IL residence no FOID card needed for ammo.
View Quote

I don't know if that's a law they must follow, or just a company policy. The only places I have seen that policy were at a licensed FFL dealer. So maybe it is a law that FFLs must adhere to, and non-licensees do not.

fwiw... A FFL license is not required to sell just ammo in WI. If you're selling it commercially, all you need is a business sales tax certificate from WI Dept of Revenue. Those cost $10 for 2 years, and you must file a sales/use tax return periodically. I file, & pay the sales tax I have collected on their behalf, every quarter. I'm a locksmith, so I have one... but I could also sell bullets with keys, I checked. I know 4 local businesses that do sell ammo here, but have no FFL.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Getting a little carried away IMHO. Had so show my DL to buy reloading bullets. WTF??

It's not even ammo, just leads. Apparently they are having a great big case of covering their ass. Get used to it.
View Quote

Have had the same issue with some FF in Wisconsin
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top