Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2013 5:39:18 AM EDT

Just closed on a cabin outside Spooner. Not a permanent residence, but someplace to go to get away from the crap here in MN for a few months a year.

Anything obscure I should know about the area?

Now I just need to get back ahold of pre-bans so we can talk about some suppressors.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#1]
No, you cannot.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, you cannot.
View Quote

I'll bring beer
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome. We love it when you visit wearing all Vikings stuff too.

I'm not familiar with that area. That's way up nort der hey doncha know.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll bring beer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, you cannot.

I'll bring beer

Wow, you will bring beer.  Half the guys in here brew their own and it is really good.  They are even organized in beer clubs.  Hell we even brew our own after moving here and I am not a big fan of beer.

We moved here, brew beer, smoke brats per WIHTF recipe, became Packers fans, My GF even started hating on Brett Favre and I am willing to sell my autographed Chuck Foreman photograph.  I think it takes more than beer to get in OR someone lied to me.  Put up a poll, take a vote!  You buy me beer, I will vote yes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wow, you will bring beer.  Half the guys in here brew their own and it is really good.  They are even organized in beer clubs.  Hell we even brew our own after moving here and I am not a big fan of beer.

We moved here, brew beer, smoke brats per WIHTF recipe, became Packers fans, My GF even started hating on Brett Favre and I am willing to sell my autographed Chuck Foreman photograph.  I think it takes more than beer to get in OR someone lied to me.  Put up a poll, take a vote!  You buy me beer, I will vote yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, you cannot.

I'll bring beer

That woman is a keeper!
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
What Lake are you on?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Buncha haters. You can join
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Tony's Riverside for the pizza.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Do I get a lifetime membership if I was born in Spooner?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If you bought the cabin from a FIB, you're in. One less FIB up nort is always good.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you bought the cabin from a FIB, you're in. One less FIB up nort is always good.
View Quote

Not sure what a FIB is, but the guy I bought it from lives in Durand, IL. I did a quick WI property search and see that over half of the other cabins on our side of the lake are titled to someone who has an IL address. There are still 3 properties within 200yds that are for sale with non resident sellers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]
LOL, FIB, Fucking Illinois Bastard.  AKA, FISH, Fucking Illinois Shit Head
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL, FIB, Fucking Illinois Bastard.  AKA, FISH, Fucking Illinois Shit Head
View Quote

FISHTAB - fucking Illinois shit head towing a boat
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Shit. You guys are being a little hard on the guy. You act like he is a FIB.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll bring beer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, you cannot.

I'll bring beer

What kind of beer? Think hard and long about that....
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not sure what a FIB is, but the guy I bought it from lives in Durand, IL. I did a quick WI property search and see that over half of the other cabins on our side of the lake are titled to someone who has an IL address. There are still 3 properties within 200yds that are for sale with non resident sellers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, FIB.

Being from Manysodas, you're not a member of the DFL are you? That would not be good. Democratic Farmers League, or something like that... or as my daughter (who graduated from U. of MN, and now lives in Farmington, MN) calls them... Dumb Fucking Liberals.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Anything obscure I should know about the area?

View Quote

Lookers in Trego and Phipps in Hayward
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#18]
If you like snowmobiling I would really check out this place. I visited it back in September for the first time and you can spend over a couple hours looking at everything there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:06:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you like snowmobiling I would really check out this place. I visited it back in September for the first time and you can spend over a couple hours looking at everything there.
View Quote

And thats only 3 hours away from spooner

I am in Siren, I am sure you drive right through here just like every other swampy

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you visit the HOF in St. Germain and like it, might as well check out  This one too. Only 20 minutes away, next to the Derby Track in Eagle River.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Woodcarving Hall of Fame for the win!

Drink Leine's, support my town!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Woodcarving Hall of Fame for the win!

Drink Leine's, support my town!
View Quote

I've driven past that thing dozens of times now. I keep meaning to stop just to see what the hell is in there
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's because in my part of Wisconsin the Mud Ducks are worse than the FIBS.  They come from the Cities, shit all over our state on the weekend and head back to the Cities on Sunday.

It wouldn't be so bad except they bring their Cidiot ways here and wonder why they don't fit in.  

I will change my response to the initial question if;
You aren't an asshat
You let people hunt on your land if you aren't using it for what they are hunting for and it doesn't screw up your hunt
You never step on a neighbor's land that you have denied access to
You don't come over here and drive like a tailgating asshole Minnesotan.  Slow down, get off our ass.  Relax, you don't have to be in a hurry here.  Enjoy the scenery a bit more.
Don't step into a bar ad proclaim the Packers as a shitbag team and the Vikings are all that.  We don't care if you are a Vikings fan, just don't be an asshole about it.  
Don't get offended if people give you shit.  In Wisconsin, if no one is razzing you or giving you shit, it means we don't like you.  The more shit you get, the more you are liked.
Leave your idea of what Minnesota Nice is in Minnesota.  It is a passive aggressive platitude and most Minnesotans that come to Wisconsin are anything but nice.

That's a start.  Work on those points and you will get along fine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's because in my part of Wisconsin the Mud Ducks are worse than the FIBS.  They come from the Cities, shit all over our state on the weekend and head back to the Cities on Sunday.

It wouldn't be so bad except they bring their Cidiot ways here and wonder why they don't fit in.  

You aren't an asshat
You let people hunt on your land if you aren't using it for what they are hunting for and it doesn't screw up your hunt
You don't come over here and drive like a tailgating asshole Minnesotan.  Slow down, get off our ass.  Relax, you don't have to be in a hurry here.  Enjoy the scenery a bit more.
Don't step into a bar ad proclaim the Packers as a shitbag team and the Vikings are all that.  We don't care if you are a Vikings fan, just don't be an asshole about it.  
Don't get offended if people give you shit.  In Wisconsin, if no one is razzing you or giving you shit, it means we don't like you.  The more shit you get, the more you are liked.
Leave your idea of what Minnesota Nice is in Minnesota.  It is a passive aggressive platitude and most Minnesotans that come to Wisconsin are anything but nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You aren't an asshat

AMEN

You must live close to me? Burnett County?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#25]
St Croix, we have land in the NE corner of Polk County though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I am so glad to get out of the FIB, FISHTAB, Flat lander state, commie state that these days I start to get near Milwaukee I just want to turn around and get back to Oshkosh.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, where I live, it's Yoopers that have a lead foot, and are the tailgaters. Probably because there's so few cops in the U.P., they're used to it. In 2+ decades of driving into the U.P. on a regular basis, I think I've seen a cop maybe 5 times... and 4 of those were parked at a restaurant.   If you're driving 60-65 on a 55mph two-lane, and a beat-up old pick-up goes by you at about 80mph (with a dead moose in the bed ), betcha it's a Yooper.

Retired FIBS are just the opposite. If you catch up to a Cadillac or Lexus going 35-40 in a 55mph zone on a curvy / hilly two lane with a constant double yellow centerline, 90% of the time it has FIB plates.... "enjoying the scenery". Do they have real live trees in Illinois?

A very popular bumper sticker seen around here is "When I retire, I'll move up north, and drive real slow".
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh there are real trees in FIB land, but there are so few of them that the ones that drive through almost get lost because there are so many trees in the northwoods.

Besides I have always loved the nighttime view up there. So many stars......... and even being able to see the aurora borealis on occasion up there too is a bonus to me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am in Siren, I am sure you drive right through here just like every other swampy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even know what a swampy means

And rbf45colt we were kind of in a hurry to get back out on Rainbow and catch some fish but next time we get up there I'll make sure we go to that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Swampy......Minnesotan. Land of 10000 swamps
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LOL, where I live, it's Yoopers that have a lead foot, and are the tailgaters. Probably because there's so few cops in the U.P., they're used to it. In 2+ decades of driving into the U.P. on a regular basis, I think I've seen a cop maybe 5 times... and 4 of those were parked at a restaurant.   If you're driving 60-65 on a 55mph two-lane, and a beat-up old pick-up goes by you at about 80mph (with a dead moose in the bed ), betcha it's a Yooper.

Retired FIBS are just the opposite. If you catch up to a Cadillac or Lexus going 35-40 in a 55mph zone on a curvy / hilly two lane with a constant double yellow centerline, 90% of the time it has FIB plates.... "enjoying the scenery". Do they have real live trees in Illinois?

A very popular bumper sticker seen around here is "When I retire, I'll move up north, and drive real slow".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've noticed that too...there does seem to be a disproportionate amount of leadfoots in the U.P., but I have no idea why. The ones that make me nervous are the guys in logging trucks doing 70mph on snow-covered roads.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That woman is a keeper!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, you cannot.

I'll bring beer

That woman is a keeper!

Yeah and you would give her bonus points for these rescue cats we have!  Also, when we lived in Racine, after I educated her on FIB's she became very astute at spotting them on the road.  Better then me.  Sadly here around Phillips that skill is not really needed.

Anybody reading this thread, I am not a travel Wisconsin Expert but here along Hwy 13, north of 8 I like to say we live on the quiet side of the forest.  That applies no matter what direction you are coming from!  We kind of lucked out here but most of the people who come and go here are from WI and no where near as many as more popular areas get.  Only issue here seems to be less deer and more wolves.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You aren't an asshat I prefer ass helmet
You let people hunt on your land if you aren't using it for what they are hunting for and it doesn't screw up your huntcan't hunt much on less than an acre
You never step on a neighbor's land that you have denied access to won't be a problem
You don't come over here and drive like a tailgating asshole Minnesotan.  Slow down, get off our ass.  Relax, you don't have to be in a hurry here.  Enjoy the scenery a bit more. noted
Don't step into a bar ad proclaim the Packers as a shitbag team and the Vikings are all that.  We don't care if you are a Vikings fan, just don't be an asshole about it.don't much care about football anyway  
Don't get offended if people give you shit.  In Wisconsin, if no one is razzing you or giving you shit, it means we don't like you.  The more shit you get, the more you are liked. I'm in sales, I have bulletproof skin
Leave your idea of what Minnesota Nice is in Minnesota.  It is a passive aggressive platitude and most Minnesotans that come to Wisconsin are anything but nice. I'm not Minnesota nice. I will tell you Jack Links Jerky sucks to your face

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You aren't an asshat I prefer ass helmet
You let people hunt on your land if you aren't using it for what they are hunting for and it doesn't screw up your huntcan't hunt much on less than an acre
You never step on a neighbor's land that you have denied access to won't be a problem
You don't come over here and drive like a tailgating asshole Minnesotan.  Slow down, get off our ass.  Relax, you don't have to be in a hurry here.  Enjoy the scenery a bit more. noted
Don't step into a bar ad proclaim the Packers as a shitbag team and the Vikings are all that.  We don't care if you are a Vikings fan, just don't be an asshole about it.don't much care about football anyway  
Don't get offended if people give you shit.  In Wisconsin, if no one is razzing you or giving you shit, it means we don't like you.  The more shit you get, the more you are liked. I'm in sales, I have bulletproof skin
Leave your idea of what Minnesota Nice is in Minnesota.  It is a passive aggressive platitude and most Minnesotans that come to Wisconsin are anything but nice. I'm not Minnesota nice. I will tell you Jack Links Jerky sucks to your face

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
don't much care about football anyway  
View Quote

BURN THE HERETIC!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

BURN THE HERETIC!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
don't much care about football anyway  

BURN THE HERETIC!

That just means I have the range all to my self on Sundays. More time for shooting
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Dont feel bad, I hate football. Well I hate all pro sports but football the worst. They way people idolize a bunch of rich guys running around in tights is just wrong.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#37]
As an outsider looking in, when I first moved to Wisconsin I found the hate here for MN in regards to hockey to be greater then what I saw in my North Dakota days.  Maybe it was just the circle of friends I made but Wisconsin hockey fans have no use for MN types.  There is nothing to discuss.

As for me, I am looking forward to fishing in Spooner.  If it goes well you can come shoot in the secret "pit" I have found.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dont feel bad, I hate football. Well I hate all pro sports but football the worst. They way people idolize a bunch of rich guys running around in tights is just wrong.
View Quote

You can like football without idolizing a bunch of rich guys. I think all pro sports players (and other celebs like movie stars) are grossly overpaid, but it's a business like any other. I'm not a fan of the commercialization of pro sports. Personally I don't care much for pro basketball or pro hockey, pro baseball is just "OK"... but I love football at all levels. I played LB/DE in high school in the 60s, been a fan of the game ever since. My "idols" back then were Dick Butkus, Ray Nitchske, Merlin Olsen, and Deacon Jones. They didn't make millions, it was just a job back then, and they were very good at their job. Butkus and Olsen used their "football star" names to make money in TV & movies, and Olsen was also a play-by-play guy on football games for NBC (and he was very good) after they retired from the NFL
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can like football without idolizing a bunch of rich guys. I think all pro sports players (and other celebs like movie stars) are grossly overpaid, but it's a business like any other. I'm not a fan of the commercialization of pro sports. Personally I don't care much for pro basketball or pro hockey, pro baseball is just "OK"... but I love football at all levels. I played LB/DE in high school in the 60s, been a fan of the game ever since. My "idols" back then were Dick Butkus, Ray Nitchske, Merlin Olsen, and Deacon Jones. They didn't make millions, it was just a job back then, and they were very good at their job. Butkus and Olsen used their "football star" names to make money in TV & movies, and Olsen was also a play-by-play guy on football games for NBC (and he was very good) after they retired from the NFL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, pretty much.  I disagree on the overpaid part (in every job, you are paid exactly what you are worth), but it is what it is... mostly entertainment via vicarious group violence.  That one participated at one time or another in that group violence (often at an amateur level) likely helps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Did someone say Little turtle hertle

I guess theres also the Spooner Rodeo... Never been to it though.

I'm in Eau Claire, but my buddy's dad used to live up in Shell lake, which is pretty close to spooner
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top