Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 12:41:49 PM EDT
What are you all carrying (with a CCW license of course)?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I would LIKE to carry an extendable baton. Don't want to spend the bucks bucks most places ask for em. Although once when I was at that surplus place in baraboo, they wanted $25 (IIRC) for a 16" no name. I wish I'd grabbed on at the time. dunno if they'd still have em.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
When i work in Chicago I just carry a 24" pipe wrench in one hand when walking from the job to the parking ramp. You take that to the head your getting coloring books for Christmas the rest of your life LOL.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:28:42 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a time that I spent weeks trying to decide which one to buy.  The two that continue to come up over and over were the Monadnock and the ASP.  While length is a convenience matter, if you buy too short of one was the general consensus, it won't be as effective.  There is a sweet spot for length vs ease of carry.

Now having said all of that and doing weeks of study I came across an article on a Police website called Police One that addressed defensive devices vs injury to the officer.  The bottom line on that was that while these can be effective you have a greater chance of being hurt with it.  Also certain types of strikes are lethal, you might as well go to the gun in those situations.  

So after much study (for me) I decided on carrying Fox 5.1 pepper spray in the front pocket on my support side and my firearm on my strong side.  This combo gives me options.  

Good luck with your research and making a decision for your personal safety.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would LIKE to carry an extendable baton. Don't want to spend the bucks bucks most places ask for em. Although once when I was at that surplus place in baraboo, they wanted $25 (IIRC) for a 16" no name. I wish I'd grabbed on at the time. dunno if they'd still have em.
View Quote

I don't know that we've ever confirmed the legality of carrying such an implement. It's certainly a deadly weapon, but there's a good chance it does not meet the definition of "billy club". We had a long talk about this when CCW first came to WI, and IIRC, we got a lot of unsure answers. Had anyone received a black and white confirmation as to what is considered a "billy club"?

ETA: See http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_21/467495_Have_we_determined_the_definition_of_Billy_Club_yet_.html  and http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_21/475235_Billy_Club_.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
A couple years ago I was almost ready to drop $75 on an ASP. By chance I stopped into the Code 3 Tactical shop in Madison, and found an off brand (Tap-Com) 21" with a holster for around $25. The grip is not exactly what I want, but other than that it is perfect. They had it right next to the register, in a bucket. Can't find them on the Code 3 site, but if you get a chance, stop in there.  Code 3
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Mono classic 2680

link

ASP 21 and 16 friction loc

link

V
OUT
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks like I opened a can of worms.    My first choice would be a sap, similar to this one.  My second choice would be a blackjack, similar to this one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]
AFAIK, there is no definition of billy club in WI statutes (not that I looked very hard), so basically any type of clubbed instrument could be defined as a "billy club".
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It looks like I opened a can of worms.    My first choice would be a sap, similar to this one.  My second choice would be a blackjack, similar to this one.
View Quote

I used to carry a leather sap in my back pocket before CCW.  One time I got pulled over by Milwaukee PD.  They removed from the car and searched me and my car because they saw a spent shell casing in the back passenger footwell area.  They found the sap when they searched me.  One of the officers asked why I had it, and I explained that I was a landlord, have a permanent hand injury that keeps me from making a solid fist, and that sometimes my tenants don't like me because I collect rents, file evictions, call police when I find evidence of crimes, and generally make them follow rules.

The officers kept searching and went through my large toolbox full of tools in my trunk (with a plumber's snake, bags full of keys, a screwdriver set, pipe wrenches, plumber's tape and putty, etc.) and also saw my very obvious hand injury.  

They told me no more illegal U-turns and sent me on my way.  

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
When I use to travel a lot I kept a padlock in my carry on case and lots of bandanas on me and in the case.

I use to think an ASP was good to have in my truck door but reality is you can do permanent damage with one so IMHO if mace won't do the job it is gun and knife time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I use to travel a lot I kept a padlock in my carry on case and lots of bandanas on me and in the case.

I use to think an ASP was good to have in my truck door but reality is you can do permanent damage with one so IMHO if mace won't do the job it is gun and knife time.
View Quote

That sort of reminds me of that Steven Segal movie where he wraps a cue ball in a towel or handkerchief and pops that guy in the head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top