Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2012 12:32:45 PM EDT
I have no experience with the AK-style rifles but the Christmas bonus from work is burning a hole in my pocket.  Is it still possible to buy one for under $500?  Are there any dealers on the west side of WI that carry these in stock?  If not, where can I buy a decent one online?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You're too late.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You're too late.

Yup. If you can find any for sale, they're probably gonna be 600-700+ even for a cheap WASR-10. Though that's just my guess... I haven't actually gone out and looked. Any "scary" looking rifle is going to be slim pickings.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Though not as bad as AR's, AK pricing is getting stupid as well.  If you can wait til probably summer, i think they'll drop back down to normal by then.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I can definitely wait until summer.  I'm not panic-buying!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're too late.

Yup. If you can find any for sale, they're probably gonna be 600-700+ even for a cheap WASR-10. Though that's just my guess... I haven't actually gone out and looked. Any "scary" looking rifle is going to be slim pickings.

Green Bay East Fleet Farm had one lonely Century WASR for $749 yesterday.

Now is not the time to buy an AK, AR or anything that looks scawey enough to cause a lib to shit his/her pants.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're too late.

Green Bay East Fleet Farm had one lonely Century WASR for $749 yesterday.

Now is not the time to buy an AK, AR or anything that looks scawey enough to cause a lib to shit his/her pants.

this. i saw aks sell for 700-900$ last gunshow
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have no experience with the AK-style rifles but the Christmas bonus from work is burning a hole in my pocket.  Is it still possible to buy one for under $500?  Are there any dealers on the west side of WI that carry these in stock?  If not, where can I buy a decent one online?

If you're lucky, persistent, and handy...

1.  Buy AK parts kit.

2.  Find receiver.

3.  Buy US parts.

You'll be in for $600+ by this time, but at least you'll be able to build one up for yourself as your own rifle.

I don't think that's something we're going to be able to do forever.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I would prefer to build my own.  I built my AR from parts so I think I could handle it.  Where should I look for receivers and parts kits?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're lucky, persistent, and handy...

1.  Buy AK parts kit.

2.  Find receiver.

3.  Buy US parts.

You'll be in for $600+ by this time, but at least you'll be able to build one up for yourself as your own rifle.

I don't think that's something we're going to be able to do forever.

Mike

Amazing what you can find if you look.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1003555 Receiver "blank"... bent, but needs drilling. In stock.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ak-47-parts-kit-with-under-folding-stock.aspx?a=669206 Parts kit... not in stock, expected delivery Feb 6th. Everything but receiver & barrel... BUT, it's not U.S. made, so some U.S. made parts will be needed to replace some of these parts to comply with 922. Tapco makes them.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ak-47-barrel.aspx?a=891186 Barrel, in stock.

AFAIK, it's legal to "build" a firearm for personal use. However, building one with these parts, it's probably not  resellable? Receiver blank has no serial numbering. Mike, you'd know more about that than I would.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I coworker of mine picked up a WASR last week from Dunhams for $500. I can't beleive they have gone up that much already. You could try calling around to Dunhams around your area to see if they have/are getting anything in. I know that seems slim, but that is what my coworker did and I was surprised that he was still able to find one by mid last week. I put my name on a list for a M&P 15-22 this morning. Good luck, these next few weeks/months seem like they are going to kind of suck for us.

I too was interested in building an AK, but I got pretty confused with the legal US/foreign made parts requirements and the fack that unlike an AR you cannot just buy a pre-made upper.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Green Bay East Fleet Farm had one lonely Century WASR for $749 yesterday..

I just came from there and they sold the last AK rifle.    Appleton has empty shelves also.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I coworker of mine picked up a WASR last week from Dunhams for $500. I can't beleive they have gone up that much already. You could try calling around to Dunhams around your area to see if they have/are getting anything in. I know that seems slim, but that is what my coworker did and I was surprised that he was still able to find one by mid last week. I put my name on a list for a M&P 15-22 this morning. Good luck, these next few weeks/months seem like they are going to kind of suck for us.

I too was interested in building an AK, but I got pretty confused with the legal US/foreign made parts requirements and the fack that unlike an AR you cannot just buy a pre-made upper.

There's a gun shop in Rhinelander that still had two M&P 15-22s hanging on the display wall as of 1:00pm this afternoon.... but they are in a pink & black "zebra" type camo.
You could always paint it.

Walmart in Rhinelander has a Sig 522 ($497) and a Mossberg .22lr look-alike ($229).
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#13]
if you choose to build, i would highly recommend going with a 100% receiver. the flats work, however they never feel as good as a factory receive. trust me i have done plenty of flats.
NDS makes amazing receivers and are only 80-90$ shipped
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top