Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2012 1:12:59 PM EDT
Yes, I will be visiting the Badger State in a month.  Not much of a vacation, I won an auction item that is at Ft. McCoy (Sparta).  9000 pound item, a 1986 CUCV M1031 with contact truck body.  Only 9009 miles.  Yes, less  than 350 per year.

I have a few plans, the first is to ride my motorcycle up there with proof of insurance for the truck, then load my motorcycle into the truck and drive home.  I probably only need help loading the motorcycle and the DRMO folks at McCoy might provide this.

Second is to fly up.  Quite a hike from Madison to Sparta.

Third  is to find a shipper for this vehicle.  I  still want to secure the items in the truck so I will fly up and slap locks on it.

Anyone up for fun?

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You can pack a lot of great Wisconsin beer in that for the trip home.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#2]
And cheese curds.  I'm going to come back fat even though I'm not going to GB and camping at Krolls.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
You could bi-cycle from Madison to Sparta.  I am sure there has to be a way to get there using one of the many miles of bike trail.  Lots of bicycle shops in Madison.

Or just ride your motorcycle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
My motorcycle gets 75 MPG on the highway.  With 5 gallons useable and 1/2 gallon reserve, that is five hours between stops.  And And under $70.  Flying will be $450+  Having someone trailer/flat bed it  is well over $1500.  Driving it is $300 in fuel alone but it also increases the total miles on the odometer over 10%

That is why I bought it.  9009 miles.  Also locking differentials and NP 205 with PTO.  Oh, it is slow, 4.56 axles.  60 MPH is about the sane limit.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#5]
fly into LaCrosse. It's much closer to Ft. McCoy
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
if you need a hand with getting it running or anything let me know.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

if you need a hand with getting it running or anything let me know.

Thanks!  This vehicle was driven onto DRMO lot.  Being a low mileage  National Guard vehicle, it was  probably well cared for, mechanics don't normally abuse their gear...not that the average Joe beat his ride but I have seen line dogs jump M51 dump trucks, all three axles off the ground.  Pretty hard to do with a LDS engine (about 200 HP in a 22,000 pound empty vehicle).

The only concern I will have are tires.  I will check for bubbles and cupping as well as tread depth.  

Now on motoring it 1200 miles, I will have to get temp plates which I believe are only valid in the issuing state.  WI, IA, MO, KS, OK and TX.  Bummer there.  But it would be an interesting trip through the Midwest.  Far less than freight forwarder.

I'm looking at other options as a friend has volunteered (if I cover fuel) to drive up with me and pull it back (flat tow with tow bar in bigger vehicle, $800 in diesel).  With a third driver, we could do it non-stop.  Still 2+ days.

I have 60+ days for the EUC to clear, this is the government's oversight to prevent tactical vehicles from slipping into enemy hands .

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
P.M. sent.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
THANKS!!!

The End  User Certificate (background check on me for export law violations, citizenship etc) came back TODAY!!!  Exactly  two weeks which is fast for a first timer.  Got insurance and temp plates today.  Since it has never been titled, the plates with bill of sale will have to do for registration.

My plans are to leave SAT at 0500 tomorrow and will be in Sparta  WI by 0200 on Thursday for a scheduled 0700 loadout appointment at Ft. McCoy (SH 21 main gate, DRMO/GL is  2184 South 8th Avenue, Bldg 2184).  Hopefully all will go well, probably will spend the day in LaCrosse drinking a Leine and eating cheese curds while skipping rocks over the river.  My driving buddies will probably like to sleep for 12 hours.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]
That is awesome!  My bud picked one up a while back, and had to wait it seemed an eternity for his paperwork to clear.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm.

I'm trying to figure a way to get in on this. I don't know much about these vehicles, but I do know that Keith_J is an authority, so I'd like to get in on it for the experience.
Which way are you heading out with it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 5:00:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I say wait about a month, and drive that mofo to the roasted nuts shoot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hmm.

I'm trying to figure a way to get in on this. I don't know much about these vehicles, but I do know that Keith_J is an authority, so I'd like to get in on it for the experience.

Which way are you heading out with it?

It was a whirlwind recovery.  We crossed into LaCrosse at about 0150 on 6/26.  Then "camped" out in the Wal Mart parking  lot in Sparta until 0545, snarfing breakfast at McD's while waiting for the front gate to open.  Bad move, the security wanted us to use another gate, down two miles of dirt road and waiting for a reserve/NG convoy.  No biggie, just time.  Waiting for the gate passes was a trip, the guard came back asking if we knew where to go, mentioning the roads on McCoy were "all fucked up".  He  was right .  Still, time was on our side.

We had a 45 minute wait at McCoy DRMO/GL  Seth issued IDs for us, then took us to the vehicle.  We checked VIN, checked and started it to make sure, no jumper starting needed!..We hooked up the  39.000 pound  (load rating) tow bar, using the bronze bushings I fabricated to assure tight fit.  Then the driveshaft was disconnected, TC  shifted to neutral along with transmission and steering unlocked.

Towing was easy, the truck tracked perfectly, only exhibiting slight swaying in cross winds.  70 MPH was possible, only used with minimal traffic as the F250s brakes were capable but stability on braking isn't.  Fortunately we had no real issues, save the deer that tried to cross US 290 just 70 miles from home.  I covered the brakes enough to take up the slack in the pintle hitch and get a good slap.

I haven't done a thing with it since arriving, sleep and family affairs.  Tomorrow it will get the PM needed for assured safe operation.

Sparta WI was most welcoming.  I bought a tank of diesel, old style pumps and force of habit had me going to pre-pay.  Not required .  We returned after load-out for required refreshments.

Many thanks to all who cared!  I will be back soon, with time to spare for fun.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Would have been nice to have met you. Next time you're up, let us know. Some of us do know how to bbq.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Keith,
how about a picture of your Wisconsin trophy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to hear you got it and made it home safely!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top